• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Softeners / Conditioning Systems

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who may have some experience with water softeners and water treatment evolution I’ve been reading about. Mind boggling! My softening system is 20 years old and seems it doesn’t work all the great. Dump 80lbs of salt in it every 4-6 weeks.

I see there are water softening and water conditioning systems. The latter includes some simple install of an electro-magnetic device wrapped around the incoming water line. The purported results are deposits that don’t build up on plumbing pipes/fixtures and dishes. Seems great, since salt-water softening does the same – but doesn’t soften the water. In any case, I’ve ordered a kit to test the hardness of the softened water and won’t be happy if I need to add 100+lbs of salt every go-around. Like everything else, salt is more expensive.

Any tips, thoughts? Thanks

Where are you located ? We've got a great guy who just finished updating our system.
I'm about 45 minutes from your town; by the way I like Lake Mills and area. Nice town.

I'd go with the water softener. It does help protect the plumbing and fixtures.

Several years back, I replaced my old Culligan unit with the mechanical clock. It was regenerating every 3rd day and using about the same amount of salt as you where (maybe more). The replacement was a Fleck 5600SXT unit. Ordered it online with free shipping and installed it myself (pretty easy). The newer units (like mine) are digital and monitor water usage so I cut my regeneration times by 1/3. That was a huge saving in salt and the unit payed for itself in about 3 years.

P.S.
When doing my research I found that the two best units where Clack & Fleck. The reason I went with Fleck is because I found out that Clack (Windsor, WI) will only sell to dealers, so you must pay for installation AND service as they will not sell parts to anyone other than dealers.

I have had a Culligan Water Softening system for the last 34 years. It still works great and I load it up with salt crystals every 90 days (8- 40lbs bags)

We bought a a Kenetico uses very little salt and the water is best it has ever been

I have 2 Fleck units. The old one is 10+ years old and has been flawless. 1 40# bag a month with our usage and water. I will find a link and post it here. (If I can find it)

20220325_125818.jpg

Our softener lasted about 26 years and was replaced 2 years ago. It was a "Rain Soft" brand, could not find parts for it. Bought a GE water softener at Home Depot and installed it myself. Wife and I are retired, kids grown and out of the house. The GE unit is smart as it, monitors actual water usage and decides when it actually need to do a regeneration. With our level of water hardness and actual water use two 40 lb bags of salt last well over a year.

I have 2 Fleck units. The old one is 10+ years old and has been flawless. 1 40# bag a month with our usage and water. I will find a link and post it here. (If I can find it)
I think it was from this place. I bought it a couple years ago for my Son's house and can't locate the paperwork. Boy the prices have gone up. it was around $600 a few years ago. Fleck 5600 SXT On Demand Water Softener

water softener.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm...an inline electro magnet....your house should have more power and get better gas mileage!
Seriously, if the purpose of the magnet is to reduce iron in the water, it should all collect at the magnet and restrict water flow.

Hmm...an inline electro magnet....your house should have more power and get better gas mileage!
Seriously, if the purpose of the magnet is to reduce iron in the water, it should all collect at the magnet and restrict water flow.
Could be, that's why I asked since these products are all over the web. No water does solve any issues with deposits accumulating where you don't want them; but doesn't sound like a good solution.

Auto Transport Service
Back