• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Temp Sender

Joel Talka

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good source for a water temp sender? As part of this whole process I verified that the gauges and dash lights work as they should...that is all but the water temp gauge. As you folks indicated, I verified the wiring and the gauge proper by grounding the wire at the sender unit; the gauge slowly goes to full scale. With the sender in place and connected I get nothing while she is running so it has to be the sender itself.

The sender I have is most likely a generic from some place like Jegs. I had to get it into a reducer in order to fit the 3/8" NPT hole in the manifold. Since it is pretty hot there under the hood, I really need to get this squared away.

As an aside, I found out yesterday that my gas gauge is pretty accurate. I had put 10 gallons in the car a while ago while I was working on it and running it from time to time. When the gauges started working the gas gauge read just above empty (??) so I'm figuring that this repop fuel sender is way off, after all, I did put 10 gallons in there.. Yesterday, I decide to take the car for its first drive down to the gas station to fill it up.. Well, the gas gauge was not wrong... I actually ran out of gas half a block from home! Go figure!!

Standard Motor Products should work from a place like Rock Auto.

Just FYI on the standard now if the part number ends with a T it is the lower end line. Found this out last year.

I'm a little late to this party, but be careful, I replaced mine originally with one from Rock Auto, based on looking up my car and what they say is "compatible".

The Standard Motor TS205 was the sender recommended and I ordered. And it didn't go well.

I figured this sender is either not compatible with my car, or the gauge has had it. It barely would lift the needle to even register a temp when it's showing 180 degrees on my shiny Auto Meter.

Did a bit more digging and found that the Standard Motor TS17 is the one that is compatible, but Rock didn't show this one for my car.

Ordered the TS17T (despite the "T" being considered the low-rent line) from Amazon and it works great.

Now at 180, the factory dash gauge is right in the middle/centre of the gauge, in the good zone.

I'm a little late to this party, but be careful, I replaced mine originally with one from Rock Auto, based on looking up my car and what they say is "compatible".

The Standard Motor TS205 was the sender recommended and I ordered. And it didn't go well.

I figured this sender is either not compatible with my car, or the gauge has had it. It barely would lift the needle to even register a temp when it's showing 180 degrees on my shiny Auto Meter.

Did a bit more digging and found that the Standard Motor TS17 is the one that is compatible, but Rock didn't show this one for my car.

Ordered the TS17T (despite the "T" being considered the low-rent line) from Amazon and it works great.

Now at 180, the factory dash gauge is right in the middle/centre of the gauge, in the good zone.
Thanks for the info.. I went through a couple from different suppliers and finally found one that works properly. Don't ask me where I got it however..it was a while ago. The good news is that all gauges are working properly now!!

For stuff like that sender, I've always gone hunting for an old but new part; I've had enough of most
of the modern crap (not to mention, in a lot of cases they're made overseas, which I try not to support).
It's sort of a side bit of fun in this hobby, parts hunting...and very cool when you whip out a brand new
part out of a vintage box - and it friggin FITS, you know - like when we were young! :thumbsup:

Some folks wrap teflon tape on the threads then blame the send unit for lying. Been there, done that.

Auto Transport Service
Back