• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water temp sending unit question

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
In my 65 Belvedere, I have an aftermarket Bosch temp gauge. The sending unit was acting up, sometimes working, not working blah blah blah. Well the threaded stem seemed loose and was moving when I tried to unscrew the nut. And the nut seemed to be somewhat stripped. I had a stock sending unit laying around but it's about a 1/4 inch shorter. I installed it and took the car for a drive. The temp gauge was way up around 240. The engine ran great and showed no signs of getting hot. Are the sending units calibrated differently? If so I guess I'll have to order a Bosch unit.

The sending unit needs to be the correct resistance for the gauge. You should get a replacement Bosch one, or if they list the resistance on the sender (unlikely) you could source a generic one.

Had the same issue with an old Sun Pro temp gauge, sender kinda came apart, and my stock one didn't work. Ordered a NOS one and works fine.

The sending unit needs to be the correct resistance for the gauge. You should get a replacement Bosch one, or if they list the resistance on the sender (unlikely) you could source a generic one.

Had the same issue with an old Sun Pro temp gauge, sender kinda came apart, and my stock one didn't work. Ordered a NOS one and works fine.
Ok thanks. That's what I figured.

I just ordered the Bosch replacement. We'll see how it does after I install it.

So, after figuring out that the sending unit wasn't calibrated to the Bosch temp gauge, I decided to see if the oil pressure gauge had the same issue. Sure enough. I got the Bosch sending unit and it's calibrated properly to the Bosch gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back