• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Temp Sending unit

Vanderstel

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
So apparently there are differences in sending units, measured in ohms?

I have an Auto Meter sensor that works fine with my Auto Meter temp gauge, it reads about 180-185 which is what I expect. When I connect my stock gauge the needle barely moves.

I have another sensor that I picked up from Orielly's, should be a stock type sensor, and it does move the stock needle, but not as much as I would expect, maybe 1/4 the way up. When I hook the Auto Meter gauge to this sensor, it pegs it at 250.

I'd like to run my stock gauge, how do I locate a sensor that works well with it?

trash the auto meter and get a stewert werner.

OE temperature sender should read between 300 and 350 ohms in a 70 degree shop.
superbirdtempsensorchange 001.JPG

Year One sells the correct sender for a stock gauge.
I have fitted their sender and it works.
Sorry cannot remember the part number. Just get the one for gauges.

Just go to your local parts store and ask for a Standard . TS17T

Just inquired about this today. Contact Autometer. I spoke with Doug and he hooked me up. Will need type of guage, range, approx age and 4 digit number off of the back. Awesome customer support.

LOL, guess none are made in China. They got some standards.

Install tip if interested - use some thread sealer as in dadsbee post and do not over-tighten it.
Only tight enough to prevent a leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back