• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways to increase access to spark plugs.

Chipstar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
As some are aware, the space between the passenger side exhaust manifold and inner fender is quite tight on a 440 swapped 62 Plymouth. The car keeps popping the plug wire on #6, and it was quite a challenge to get the boot to snap back on. Once I got it, I wanted to check the other boots but couldn't access #4. My question is, will new heads (Performer RPM) and headers (TTI or Doug's) give me and my big dumb mitts more access to the plugs?

Can you drill an access hole? Had to drill this on a BB A Body.

DSC00060.jpg

You cant see it when motor is in

propartsBOB.jpg

I know what you are saying.Had a 62 Dart Maxie with 2 1/8'' headers. It took 2 men and a boy to change those plugs.Depends on how much HP the 440 is putting out.Not knowing intended use of the car,race, street,other.Not knowing of the size of the headers you have now,2'',2 1/8'' you can always go with a smaller diameter pipe size.1 7/8'' or smaller.
I've run 1 5/8'' headers on a 400 hp 440. The car was only used on the street and worked quite well.

Sometimes it’s easier to get the plugs from under the car. Or reach from the front and go under the manifold to get 2,4 and 6

also, get some quality plug wires that don’t fall off.

Buy short spark plugs. They are hard to get, but are available. My father-in-law just had me install some in a Chevy 350 based car with headers that had clearance issues (in this case with the headers, believe it or not).

I know what you are saying.Had a 62 Dart Maxie with 2 1/8'' headers. It took 2 men and a boy to change those plugs.Depends on how much HP the 440 is putting out.Not knowing intended use of the car,race, street,other.Not knowing of the size of the headers you have now,2'',2 1/8'' you can always go with a smaller diameter pipe size.1 7/8'' or smaller.
I've run 1 5/8'' headers on a 400 hp 440. The car was only used on the street and worked quite well.
Street cruiser as I don't have the balls to do more than that in a convertible. Overall power plans are heads, headers, intake manifold, carb, thumper grind cam, & exhaust. Good to know about the 1 5/8" headers, thanks!

Sometimes it’s easier to get the plugs from under the car. Or reach from the front and go under the manifold to get 2,4 and 6

I was looking at MSD, but I'll take any suggestions if you have them.

Have you made sure no part of the plug wires are touching any part of the exhaust? I had an issue a while back with a plug wire popping off. It turned out to be the wire was barely touching the header pipe causing the wire to heat up and allow the wire to pop off the spark plug. It took me a long time to figure it out.

I was looking at MSD, but I'll take any suggestions if you have them.
MSD is good. I like Firecore wires, I have 3 sets and you feel a nice click when the go on the plug, no question about it, and they never come off.

He has them for muscle car engine to fit the stock looms, or you can tell him the lengths you want For a custom set. I did this once and the came out right on the measurements.

Or reach from the front and go under the manifold to get 2,4 and 6

That's typically what I do, going under the alternator with my right hand, then "taking the left turn towards Albuquerque"...
it's then a matter of getting hand, wrist, forearm all slithered under and back to get the plugs under the headers.
With me, that means I gotta elevate myself a little and belly up on the fender so I can bend over enough.

Next time? I'm trying from underneath - and I own hole saws. :)

Have you made sure no part of the plug wires are touching any part of the exhaust? I had an issue a while back with a plug wire popping off. It turned out to be the wire was barely touching the header pipe causing the wire to heat up and allow the wire to pop off the spark plug. It took me a long time to figure it out.
Thanks, I'll check this out

Auto Transport Service
Back