• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways To Make Money?

I work 3 jobs,1 is a steady reliable job all year round, the other 2 I get to pick my days and hr/s in the summer...also In the summer I fix small engines and part out/scrap old farm cars left for dead.Just this past winter I learned how to repair LCD monitors, I get them broken (for free) and fix them then sell them. Like most in the car hobby I also buy and sell and trade just about any thing I can lol.
Long story short, if you learn how to fix some thing, people will find you and have you fix their broken crap :)
How I got started:
When I was 21ish I wanted to be a Mechanic but no one would hire a kid off the street so I walked into a local shop and convinced the owner that he needed me.I told him to try me out for a week and if it didn't work out he wouldn't have to pay me.And if I did work out he would only have to pay me $300.00 a week flat rate no matter how many extra hr/s I put in.After 3 months he bumped my pay to $350.00 a week and then finally put me on hourly...

Thank you for that Al, Im glad to be apart of this site with so many great people who give great advice, and love the same thing I do!

Try asking residential roofing companies, maybe you can start on a tear-off or cleanup crew. It's a lot of hard work, and long hours in the summer, but a lot of young guys start there. If you work hard and show initiative maybe you can learn a good trade.

Thank you for that Al, Im glad to be apart of this site with so many great people who give great advice, and love the same thing I do!

You'll find something, im sure of that reading what you said how the guy thought at AZ. Sounds like you presented yourself in a way that shows you really do want to work, AL really said it best, you have the goals and your willing, don't give up when ever someone trys to convince you that it cant be done at your age. You did pick a great forum to be a part of.

The fact that your actually trying to find a job and willing to start at the bottom to support your hobby.... my hats off to you.

A couple tips... when you are looking for a job dress neat. (dockers, polo shirt, nice shoes) etc etc. And for god sake speak clear and with enthusiasm, (a little yes sir no sir does hurt... shows respect). When I hear younger guys or gals behind the counter mumbling drives me nuts!

Just don't give up. Try some mom and pop auto parts stores or as someone mentioned check with a body shop and see if they need anyone to do anything… The experience you learn will pay off not only with your car, but could turn into a great career (or side work for that matter) when you get older. There are not many of the younger generation getting into fields like bodywork, mechanics, etc etc. If you go that path you will be in demand in the future, trust me!

Good Luck!

got a job!! well actually im a substitute for now but im confident ill get a job offer in the fall, i got offered a permanent position for the rest of summer but had to decline because ill be gone alot, but i work for an extended day program at local elementary schools, its gonna help with the money half, my knowledge classic car-wise is going to have to come from you guys plus when i start talking to more people in my daily life involving my cars restoration, me and my dads want to take it to a pro restoration company that was actually on tv for awhile, gearhead garage if anyone knows who that is, i hope they point me in the right direction as the guys on here have on different posts, anyways i just wanted to update people who were giving me suggestions!

Real glad to hear you didn't give up.. Congrats!!!!

Start your own lawn mowing business and mow lawn cheaper than everyone else. Keep it low profile and work for cash. My kid did this when he was 16 and worked his butt off for two years. Even cut lawns on his lunchbreak during school. He also worked at the local grocery store at the same time. And played baseball for the school team. Your life is what you make of it. In two years he had a nice rider, several pushers, an old blazer and trailer all paid off. Then when he went to school (college) he sold his client list to a guy in his 40's who took over the business. Yup, I'm pretty proud of him.

Congrats to you. Hope it works out. It is ruff out there now a days. If you were closer I would of put you to work here at the feed store. Been looking for a delivery guy. Not EZ work though but it is some thing.

Congrats! Sure is refreshing to hear that you want to work and have some real goals. I'd put you to work today, but the commute would be a bit rough. I have a very difficult time finding anyone who wants to work. Seems most would rather collect unemployment so they can stay home and smoke weed and play video games.

I got my first car a 68 dodge dart at 13, I'm 22 now and almost have all the parts I need to get it all together. It will take along time. It always does. If you really like working on cars then try to find a job in the auto industry. Thats what I did, but then I realized that working on other peoples cars is not as much fun as working on your own car but it does pay the bills. Get a job you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life. Then use the money from that job to fuel your restoration. When I was 17 I had a job laying carpet, payed well but I was young and dumb and spent most of it on drugs and new project cars instead of finishing the ones I had. Now I have a house payment and utilities and student loan, and snap on tool loan, and baby on the way. not much left over for the mopar projects. Save as much money as you can while you still live at home.

I work 3 jobs,1 is a steady reliable job all year round, the other 2 I get to pick my days and hr/s in the summer...also In the summer I fix small engines and part out/scrap old farm cars left for dead.Just this past winter I learned how to repair LCD monitors, I get them broken (for free) and fix them then sell them. Like most in the car hobby I also buy and sell and trade just about any thing I can lol.
Long story short, if you learn how to fix some thing, people will find you and have you fix their broken crap :)
How I got started:
When I was 21ish I wanted to be a Mechanic but no one would hire a kid off the street so I walked into a local shop and convinced the owner that he needed me.I told him to try me out for a week and if it didn't work out he wouldn't have to pay me.And if I did work out he would only have to pay me $300.00 a week flat rate no matter how many extra hr/s I put in.After 3 months he bumped my pay to $350.00 a week and then finally put me on hourly...

So true! It's what keeps me going. I learned to fix stuff that most people have never heard of.

You got some great advice, from some of the smartest folks on this site! My advice, go learn something, and become the "go-to" guy for that thing! Go rebuild a trans. Learn front-ends, set-up rear ends! With the internet and some books, you should be able to do anything! But try to be the best you can at that! And others, with other skills will become your friends, and share with you. Probably the easiest is to be known as a competent welder for steel and aluminum. The world will beat a path to your door.

you already answered the question yourself. You will just have to find a job. There is no easy way to make money. When I was your age (16) and was restoring my first car (1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE) I just put the car into a storage shed and slowly bought all the parts I needed for the car. SEVEN years later I had everything I needed to build it. Which took me another 2 years to get together. So when I finally "finished" the car I was 25 years old and then my wife wrecked it 4 months later. Fixing these cars up is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Take your time, collect the parts, stash them away carefully after you have documented everything. Once you have what you need to get the car to where you want it to be...THEN dissassemble, strip, paint, and reassemble.

Another way to do it, is to take it apart 1 piece at a time and either restore or replace that piece before you take the next piece off. That way you are always making progress and you have something tangible for your work.

I dont mean to be a bummer and I apologize if none of this makes sense, im working on about 14 hours of sleep for the week.

With what ever you do, good luck with the build....just dont ever lose the fire inside.

That's the BEST advise I have heard in a LONG TIME!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::hello2:

Another tid bit of good advice DON'T buy into a bunch of worthless Magazine BS, Leave it mostly original the car will be worth more! regardless if its a slant 6, 318, or 440 car.
Magazine junk all sounds good because they get paid to make it sound good!!!!! But the reality is most of it is JUNK! for a street car driven regularly.

Here's my suggestion:

1. Hit up family and friends for a couple thousand dollars.
2. Shop around craigslist for a used Ford Police Interceptor, 1998 or newer, that looks like it's still in service, i.e., still has spot light, good paint, antennas, etc. Should be able to get one for around $2-$3k.
3. Start going around to convenience stores, bars, or other open late/24 hrs establishments that have security concerns, and tell them you will park your police car on their property from say 10:00PM until 4:00AM, which is a sure-fire way to deter criminals, for say $300 a month to start.
4. Take that money to pay off your family and friends, then buy another Interceptor, then another, then another, and keep leasing them out as security aids.
5. See what the market will bear IRT to your pricing. Here I can get about $400 a month from guys who don't want to pay twice that for an off-duty cop from 10:00PM to 2:00AM, then move the cars to another site for the rest of the night. You get ten cars out there, that's $4,000 a month income and all you got to do is move cars around each night.

As an employer, a piece of advice: when that hard work to find a job has paid off and you're actually working, SHOW UP ON TIME. Don't be the guy who your boss can't trust to be working when you're supposed to be. No calling in sick unless you're really wrecked, no excuses as to why you can't make it. If you show up 10 minutes early to work every single day you're scheduled, and you do a good job, you will rise fast. I've hired plenty of people, and I can tell within a month if they're going to last.

Best of luck to you- remember that going the extra mile in your job puts you ahead of the majority of people, and that means alot these days.

As an employer, a piece of advice: when that hard work to find a job has paid off and you're actually working, SHOW UP ON TIME. Don't be the guy who your boss can't trust to be working when you're supposed to be. No calling in sick unless you're really wrecked, no excuses as to why you can't make it. If you show up 10 minutes early to work every single day you're scheduled, and you do a good job, you will rise fast. I've hired plenty of people, and I can tell within a month if they're going to last.

Best of luck to you- remember that going the extra mile in your job puts you ahead of the majority of people, and that means alot these days.

Pabster that's, Great advise to all...

and don`t try the quick withdrawl system either --7/11s

Auto Transport Service
Back