• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We got the guitar thread how about musical storytellers

you guys missing somebody?
marty robbins.jpg

View attachment 1347331

After a small local show by Arlo many moons ago I had to wonder if it was a music show or a comedy story act. My jaw was actually hurting from laughing so darn hard. Guthrie had many family members within his group including his daughter. “After I mentioned my arrest for littering all the killers, father rapers and degenerates all moved back towards me” Alice’s Restaurant.

If I never hear Alice’s Restaurant again, it’ll be too soon.

Cat Stevens........ Father and Son

Cat Stevens......... Peace Train

Harry Chapin
Paul Simon
Bernie Taupin (thru Elton John)
Jim Croce

there is also a long list of country music songs written that tell fantastic stories...

Steve Goodman, wrote a lot of good songs, City of New Orleans, and several Jimmy Buffett tunes.

Tom T Hall
Mickey Newberry
Ronnie Bowman
Chris Stapleton
John Prine
Any member of Blue Highway

Just to name a few

Different stories speak to different people of various ages. For me, I second the motions on Peart and Seeger.

Jim Stienman and Meatloaf... If Bat Outta Hell isn't telling the story of every teenager boy & girl on this planet.......:lol:

Probably not THE greatest lol, but definitely a classic tale.

Can confirm super geniuses are also amused by puppet shows :thumbsup:

That song was a big hit back in the day. I don't think Green Jelly ever had another, but one hit is more than most bands have.

Possibly the most famous story song -

covered by Primus -

hip hop version -

another cover -

and another cover -

Hendrix
Hammet
Jimmy Page
BB King
Van Halen
Prince
Randy Rhoads