• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight of an empty 8-3/4 rear end.

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Does any one know the weight of an 8-3/4 rear end without gears and Sure-Grip? I am looking in to replacing my 8-3/4 with a Strange S60 or a Moser 60 and want to check the weight difference between the ends.
Thanks

Does any one know the weight of an 8-3/4 rear end without gears and Sure-Grip? I am looking in to replacing my 8-3/4 with a Strange S60 or a Moser 60 and want to check the weight difference between the ends.
Thanks
ive got one completely taken apart laying here. I don't have a scale, but if I had to guess, I'd say between 40-50 pounds for the housing bare, no brakes, axles, center section etc.

total weight difference between the 8.75 and dana 60 COMPLETE, is only about 30-50 pounds depending on which brake set up.

So, is the Dana heavier compared to the 8-3/4?
yes but the strength gain is well worth the weight. Unless you're on a dedicated drag car, the 30 lb difference isnt much. And even then, thats stock for stock. You can get lighter alloy axles and disc brakes etc to shave that 30 pounds off the Dana as well.

I have drums on my 8-3/4 and will be upgrading to discs brakes this winter. so far, the 8-3/4 is holding up nicely as I do not take it to the strip and only drive it on the street.

I have drums on my 8-3/4 and will be upgrading to discs brakes this winter. so far, the 8-3/4 is holding up nicely as I do not take it to the strip and only drive it on the street.
unless you're really pounding on it with wide, sticky tires, I wouldn't worry about a dana 60 then. the 8.75 is stronger and thicker than the Ford 9 inch even. If you're worried about strength, the axle shafts are the weakest but cheapest upgrades. 300 bucks from Doc Diff.

If money is not an issue....there is no better marriage than a mopar with a Dana IMHO...

Don’t get me wrong an 8 3/4 is no slouch and a phenomenal rear but more weight and added strength is not a bad thing to have.....

3.54 Dana for a streetcar is ideal in my books. Especially, if it is a four speed....

If you go Dana 60 I don't expect you will ever break parts. 8 3/4 are great till about 500 HP with good traction. Figure out what your use is. High power, good traction seems like Dana 60. Many have gotten good results from the 8 3/4 with the correct parts & assembly. Also gear ratio with the 8 3/4 is a major concern, look at the size of the teeth on the ring gear, 4.89 was not good for me with the 8 3/4.

37.2lbs on my scale, 8 3/4 B body housing with studs in place .
And that's totally empty, right. Was about to weigh the empty one I have. The chunk is right around 80 lbs complete depending on gear ratio but it's not much different.

I have 3.55 gears in my 8-3/4 with a Eaton TrueTrac and a 489 case. The engine is stroked to a 499. It is making about 589 HP and 748 torque at the flywheel.

I am not too sure of the toque numbers but that is what the shop owner wrote on the dyno sheet.

The last time I replaced an 8 3/4 with a Dana 60, the weight difference was right at 50 lbs. The 8 3/4 was E body width and had a factory LSD in it and the 60 was B body width and had a spool in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back