• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well I didn't suck on Sunday. But what a trip

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score

OP
master
4819.jpg

MI, usa
So I didn't elaborate on my entire trip in Saturday. My son Scott and I went down to Columbus For the weekends Buckeye stock S/S races. Started by running into a freeway closure so jumped over to US23. A Chysler 300 vs semi shut that down at the Milan dragway exit. 6 hrs later I'm there. Saturday mornings warm up had the car over heating. Another failed Mezerrie water pump. Fortunately fellow N/SS racer Casey FJ has a new spare. Pull the radiator swap the pump, make 1st rd qualifing. 1s rd lift slightly at the stripe. Give it up by .0115. Crew Chief pro says I scrubbed .002. Scott loses a tight one rd 2 .-004 to a dead on zero. Sunday Scott gives up the stripe by .01 in rd 1. My first 2 opponents are -.001 red. I go thru the field pretty good. In the final I have him on the tree by .001. Tighten up as close as I could running dead .001. Nice win. We leave the track. Getting on US 23 just north of Columbus making the shift into 4th gear the dually has nothing but neutral. It's 9:00 Sunday night a little over 3 hrs from home. I call my friend Mike Dechicco (also N/SS racer) who I know lives close. He offers me his dodge 2500. Drive over with Scotts rig and pick it up and get back to the freeway. Disconnect my truck and tow it with a strap to a more secure spot. Come back hook up Mike's truck and head home. Made it by 1:30am. Now another friend and fellow N/SS race Dave Curl and I will attempt to go back down get it on his large flatbed trailer and get it home. It's amazing when you are in need, friends come from everywhere to help. Pretty sure the truck spun the center out of the clutch disc.
Doug

columbus win.jpg

My friend Dave and I set out to retrieve the truck. Loaded Mike's truck on the trailer for the trip down. When we arrived I had forgot the keys. We broke in with a wooden spoon and a fly swatter out of the camper. Scott had pulled his winch out of his trailer. We mounted it on Daves trailer. Had to pull the wheel covers and trailer fenders to get it on the trailer. Made it back home by midnight. Thanks to all for help and others that have offered as well. Not an adventure I want to repete anytime soon.
Doug

20240520_143150.jpg

20240520_183647.jpg

20240520_183638.jpg

20240520_190411.jpg

Wow what an ordeal Doug! Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose but two wins this early in the season and one for Scott is very inpressive! Hang in there man and I'll see ya at the next one.

My friend Dave and I set out to retrieve the truck. Loaded Mike's truck on the trailer for the trip down. When we arrived I had forgot the keys. We broke in with a wooden spoon and a fly swatter out of the camper. Scott had pulled his winch out of his trailer. We mounted it on Daves trailer. Had to pull the wheel covers and trailer fenders to get it on the trailer. Made it back home by midnight. Thanks to all for help and others that have offered as well. Not an adventure I want to repete anytime soon.
Doug

View attachment 1666283

View attachment 1666284

View attachment 1666285

View attachment 1666286
That’s a load!

Well congrats on the win :thumbsup:

having a clutch blow the center out on the tow rig sucks ***
but you got it handled, lots of going back & forth

funny how 'good friends'
always come thru, in times of need
especially fellow racers

Is there an update on the big Dodge ? Was it in fact the clutch disc ? I for one just dreads even the thought of tow vehicle issues. Can’t say enough for your bud that was there for you.

The disc failed. Pulled it all apart. Resurfaced the flywheel. Went to install the clutch yesterday. The supplied pilot bearing was wrong. Bought one locally. The pressure plate bolts reached torque before contacting the flywheel. After removing the pressure plate and a close inspection the bolts were too long. Also the internal portion of the disc is deformed. Ordered another clutch, but it's Memorial weekend. Dont know when it'll get here. Trying to leave for Bowling Green Kentucky on Thursday.
Doug

The disc failed. Pulled it all apart. Resurfaced the flywheel. Went to install the clutch yesterday. The supplied pilot bearing was wrong. Bought one locally. The pressure plate bolts reached torque before contacting the flywheel. After removing the pressure plate and a close inspection the bolts were too long. Also the internal portion of the disc is deformed. Ordered another clutch, but it's Memorial weekend. Dont know when it'll get here. Trying to leave for Bowling Green Kentucky on Thursday.
Doug
Dang crap parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back