• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to a local car show

All right... I'm going to throw this out there and suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... your cars are boring. Yes, boring.

Going to a lot of car shows today is tantamount to going to a car dealership in the 1950s-1970s. Rows and rows of like-new cars sitting there... you have to expect a salesman with lamb chop sideburns and wearing a sky blue leisure suit to come out at anytime. Most of these cars looked boring when they were new and didn't look interesting until guys jacked them up, put goodies on them, put stickers on them, etc. Yes, if you're a big fan of 19XX GTXs, you're going to be interested is hearing about one, but 99.99% of people who go to shows are no more interested in a specific car than they are of a Ford Fiesta.

If you want people to be interested in your car, you need to give them a reason to be interested.

Couldn't be closer to the truth. My family is heavily invested in Mopars, I recently owned a 15' SRT and currently drive a 15' Power Wagon.

Car crowd people are no different than any other enthusiasts, they typically will gravitate to what they're familiar with or enjoy (in terms of manufacture/brands). For example, when we see another 69' Road Runner (or any Mopar), we normally take a quick glance and move on. There is no enjoyment for my wife, father, and myself to view a factory car. They're boring and a new Civic will give them a run for their money.

The 'look, but please don't touch' crowd are what is ruining the hobby. Everyone wants to see something different, yet something that they can relate to at the same time. The worst I've ever seen it was a Garlits' show a few years ago, an owner roped off his mid-60's plymouth in the general car show. On the other hand, I've stood within inches of multiple, multi-million dollar Ferrari's at Finali Mondiali at Daytona Speedway. The best car show/racing event I've been to in my lifetime (1,000 Ferrari's present).

Dare I say it. Pro-touring is what people enjoy when it comes to classic cars?

People simply love cars that are animated, or spark emotion. I wouldn't even look twice at my own car if it was stock. Go walk around the Chevrolet's at the next show, very few are stock and most are far from it. Then, walk to the Mopar section and see the sixth guy, out of seven cars, with a factory engine, NOS six-pack and air cleaner setup, along with the period correct battery. It gets old. Even for guys that enjoy them. You'll see a crowd around the seventh guy that decided he wanted to do something out of the norm. I'm not saying it's good-bad leaving a car stock, but it's nice seeing something different for a change.

Just got back from the largest car show in the United States, Daytona Turkey Run. Similar to Bike Week but for hot rods. 6,000+ classic cars in the show. 150,000 spectators. I've pretty much seen it all. Mopars may make up 5%, probably less.

runner.jpg

Last edited:
You'll see a crowd around the seventh guy that decided he wanted to do something out of the norm.

I have just such a car. I have had it to many shows now in the 3 years it has been completed. While I cannot say it attracts HUGE crowds, I can say there are two types who look...those who immediately spot the 5.7 and keep on walking, and those who spot the engine, then start asking how it was doing it then look farther and trip on the interior and ask even more questions. I am one of those guys who does not "hang out" at my car. Sure, I spend time there but I take time to look around also so there may be more folks who want to talk about it........
I like talking about it. I am usually saving someone some of the hassles I had building it. That to me is what this hobby is all about. It is why I like this site so much. Everyone is willing to share in an effort to save someone else some grief, heartache, and maybe a few dollars.

1st off, although I beat on my drivetrain occasionally in the 1/4 mile and expect to be doing more of that, too many people are too lenient on their children and all of those types get "handsy" on cars in shows, and I'm the one that spends a LOT of time cleaning it when that is what I want to do, so keep your and your crumb crunchers sticky, oily, dirty hands off.
If you or your children have questions, I would love to answer them and talk about the years when they were "new"(er).
Some classic car owners due to age and or physical condition have to sit down after detailing their cars. I made a living with my back and body for much of my youth and am paying a price for that now in my 50s, but I always walk around and talk with a LOT of people at shows and talk about their cars, and I spend some time sitting in my chair by my car too to talk about it and answer questions.
I usually see or make a lot of friends or acquaintances at local shows.
I have 2 friends with "correct" 70 Roadrunners, and while that's not my cup of tea, I respect them and their cars for what they are, and I know I'd go broke and crazy if I tried to do the same with mine.
Mopars are fairly well represented in South Louisiana.

In this area I find a lot of arrogance from people and a lack of friendliness. I enjoy looking at everything but, I usually get excited when I walk up on a car that you know will actually run fast. Guess that’s why I prefer a day at the strip vs a day at a car show. I like nice stuff that’s fast. I do enjoy taking the dart places, that’s one of those cars that’s different enough that people dig it. Of course 10 years ago I still looked pretty young and would get a lot of “dad’s car eh” type comments. My response was usually “unlike you I actually built my car”.. made lots of friends that way.. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back