• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a weekend!

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
My daughter asked me early last week if I would be interested in going to the Indycar races at Road America. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to see Indycar live at Road America. It was a first for both. So I made my flight reservations and got here early Friday afternoon. Turns out that her neighbor got her 4 passes for the weekend of racing. The neighbor is the owner of Elite engines which is used by every car in the “Road To Indy” series. He introduced us (me, my daughter, and her never been to racing friends) to the president of the series main sponsor. He in turn gave us VIP passes that included the sponsors suite ! All the food and drinks you wanted, plus a great view ! We got to see and chat with a bunch of drivers. Thrills biggest thrills were; the 3 girls were the trophy presenters for all 4 of the RTI series races, my daughter and I were in the pace car to start a race Sunday morning, and while we were in the pace car…her friends were on camera give the “start your engines” command. It was really a full immersion experience for an old track rat like myself. My daughters two friends are hooked for life on racing. Jimmy Johnson even sprayed us with gravel when he lost it on lap 1 in Turn 3. We were in the turn 3 party tents. I honestly don’t think I have enough time left in this life to top such an experience!
B9952631-47B7-4C55-87D5-D1BB516ABAC0.jpeg
2586E1F8-1467-4EE3-835A-DEAE6B3CA8B8.jpeg
38181B1A-254F-4B6F-AB9F-32E99C2C9CD4.jpeg
98F03E1C-4364-4C2C-8C63-7E166935BAAC.jpeg
4D42102A-E129-407C-88C7-F6ECA7575D5B.jpeg
92C84B24-DF7C-4F46-8701-20FC4DC2A5F4.jpeg
9A1A8BC0-ABA5-458A-BFA3-C303BCF432DB.jpeg
5053A82E-E7EE-46A9-B3B9-1F58535847B2.jpeg
98F03E1C-4364-4C2C-8C63-7E166935BAAC.jpeg

2F4FED0D-DD17-4BD0-B112-98244183D9D0.jpeg

That’s really cool. Oh, get that girl some pants

Yeah, none of us were dressed for the event. We had no idea when we got to the track what duties befell us. A cheap price to pay for the VIP treatment!

Awesome experience!!! Memories to be treasured for sure..

I've had VIP access at a few tracks, it's great, only problem is it spoils you & going back to doing the regular access is a serious let down...

Sounds like an amazing experience! I spent my weekend cleaning up junk from other people's yards and messing up my yard!

20220612_200230.jpg

20220612_162958.jpg

One of my favorite road courses. I went countless times for the CanAm/SCCA events and the Trans Am races when I was living back in Illinois where I grew up. Sadly some of the events are no longer run and are retired to obscurity. I have also had the opportunity to actually drive the course quite a few times and man there is nothing like a road course to get the ol' adrenaline going. Done through Skip Barber's school. I have worked the pits and to see all those cars including the Indy cars up close and personal was amazing. Had a few introductions to numerous owners and the best was the Newman/Hass association when they competed there. As a spectator, my favorite spot to watch any race was at turn #5. A few cold Old Styles and some true Wisconsin Brats. Glad you had the experience...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

sounds like a great day/s @Skytrooper

thanks for taking the time & sharing
no cars/racing photos (?)

Last edited:
I didnt take any photographs of the cars. There were just so many, the 3 Road to Indy, and Indy car itself. We were pretty busy Saturday with all the trophy presentations. We did get to some great spots on the track to watch before they came for us with the cart. Sunday after the last RTI race we were invited to the turn 3 party (5 large pop up canopies, tons of food and drink) . We watched the majority of the race from there, but we did get driven around to the best viewing spots by a former Indycar Rookie of the Year. There was so much cool stuff happening all the time that to be honest...I didnt think about taking pics. I do have one of jimmy johnsons car on pit road prior to the race, and a couple of the 1st place cars in the Winners Circle when I was filming the "Elite Engines Girls" presenting trophies.

I didnt take any photographs of the cars. There were just so many, the 3 Road to Indy, and Indy car itself. We were pretty busy Saturday with all the trophy presentations. We did get to some great spots on the track to watch before they came for us with the cart. Sunday after the last RTI race we were invited to the turn 3 party (5 large pop up canopies, tons of food and drink) . We watched the majority of the race from there, but we did get driven around to the best viewing spots by a former Indycar Rookie of the Year. There was so much cool stuff happening all the time that to be honest...I didnt think about taking pics. I do have one of jimmy johnsons car on pit road prior to the race, and a couple of the 1st place cars in the Winners Circle when I was filming the "Elite Engines Girls" presenting trophies.
No biggie, no harm or foul, I was just curious...

:thankyou:

Sounds like you had a great time and the memories you made are priceless! 440'

It is going to be hard to drop back to my normal after the VIP treatment ! I will be going to Watkins Glen for the IMSA 6 hours....we'll see how I do !

It is going to be hard to drop back to my normal after the VIP treatment ! I will be going to Watkins Glen for the IMSA 6 hours....we'll see how I do !
Like I said... But at the end of the day an ordinary day at the track beats the best day at work.. So make the most of it...

I was gonna say the worst day but it only took a second of remembering seeing Greg Moore killed to know thats not the case...

Heading back for this years race ! We will have a longer drive since my daughter is moving to Delaware by the end of April. Both of her friends moved to NJ, so I imagine a fun drive to Road America this year ! Plus Andretti Motorsports wants us to come by. My daughter worked with them for fundraising function in Virginia a few months back. Afterwards she went to dinner with the Andretti's and met and sat with Colton Herta. She really lives the life of Reilly.

Auto Transport Service
Back