• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the different yokes for 7290 / 8 3/4

GASSR

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, hoping I can get some clarification on the different yokes and UJs associated with an 8 3/4. I am having a drive shaft made. I had an 8 3/4 built for me. It is a 849 case, 3.55 gears, sure grip. The guy who built it for me said it had a yoke for a LG 7290 UJ. I showed pictures of the yoke to the guy at the driveshaft shop. They were unsure which UJ should be used because they were used to the yoke for a 7290 having threaded holes and the straps having bolts.
7290 yoke with u bolts.JPG

Mine has u bolts. Are both used on a 8 3/4" with 7290 UJs? I offered up a 7290 UJ and the caps seem either a very tight fit or slightly too large and the caps do not extend to the end of the yoke. I have attached a picture of the type I have. Thanks.

None of the factory 8 3/4 yokes had 'U' bolts.......but, it's a good thing to use them and it can be done if you drill out the threads of the factory yokes....but, why not step up to the better yoke instead?

Ubolts are stronger and a lot of after market goes with them

These are pictures of my actual 8 3/4" ... just trying to confirm if it looks like a 7290 should fit.

Chunk.jpg

Yoke.jpg

Aren't the U straps/with a nut on the back side, are usually 1350 Universals
like used on Dana 60 or a 1 tone PU application
7/8" x 7/8" inside diam./bearing cups,
larger caps outside diam. 1-3/8" like full size trucks/4x4s
3-5/8" wide

IIRC the 1310 (3/4" x 3/4" I/D bearing caps) 1-3/16" outside diam. cap
commonly used on 1/2 PU tone applications
& 1410 style are similar too,
just different diameter caps & widths
(1330 & 1330 big cap too, all different dimantions)
Universal Joints sizes dimentions.png

There's several different type aftermarket & factory style 7290 style yokes
you need to measure it make sure it's the correct size, for a 7290

look it up on the -www- good luck

WOW! There is some super useful information above. Another way to look at it is you can measure what you need (assuming your yoke bolts to your pumpkin). As mentioned, you might not have a “typical” u-joint size, but you’ll find what you need if you know the dimensions you need (length & cap diameter each direction of the u-joint). If you’re building a driveshaft, that REALLY opens up your options. You can pick a u-joint and build the driveshaft to match it

None of the factory 8 3/4 yokes had 'U' bolts.......but, it's a good thing to use them and it can be done if you drill out the threads of the factory yokes....but, why not step up to the better yoke instead?
Chrysler Imperials with 8-3/4 differentials used a u- bolt type yoke ,, i have 3 or 4 of them here

Chrysler Imperials with 8-3/4 differentials used a u- bolt type yoke ,, i have 3 or 4 of them here
New one on me! The biggest Mopar to ever have was a New Yorker and it had the straps. I know the Imps were different in a lot of ways but never knew they had the U-bolts.

Thanks for all the useful information. I tried offering up a 7290 to the yoke. Not a good fit. As much as the person that built the chunk for me said it was 7290, I believe it may be an odd ball, like 1330. In any event I ordered a new yoke from Quick Performance to take a 1350. This way I will use 1350 on both ends.

PXL_20240514_232332385.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back