• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the steps to properly remove 1969-70 Rear Lower Valance?

RXTREME

Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
How should i go at removing the rear lower valance 69-70 charger? Please let me know what you think!

IMG_7492.jpeg

Early junkerup vid's on youtube has pointers on this very topic.

Check out Junkerup Chris Birdsong videos on Youtube I know he had one video on there where he was doing this.

I think it’s worth using the Blair flush cut type spot weld cutters from inside the trunk to preserve the outside of the tail light panel. That’s what I plan to do and a friend just did his that way. I drilled right through the welds between the valance and the trunk pan, since it’s the trunk pan that’s being replaced on mine. Same thing for the welds between the rear valance and the quarter panels - you don’t want to drill through those. Earlier in that video, you’ll see Junkerup drills right through the welds between the tail light panel and the lower valance, but he’s under a deadline and more confident in his mig welding than I am in mine.

I've used the Blair cutters for awhile and always went through too many on each job so I tried these for cutting a trunk floor out of a 'cuda. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087FS9PR8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I did the whole floor only using both sides of one bit. Now I also did make sure to dip it in oil very few welds so that helped some I'm sure. Anyway they are cheap and there's enough of them to last a long time.

I've used the Blair cutters for awhile and always went through too many on each job so I tried these for cutting a trunk floor out of a 'cuda. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087FS9PR8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I did the whole floor only using both sides of one bit. Now I also did make sure to dip it in oil very few welds so that helped some I'm sure. Anyway they are cheap and there's enough of them to last a long time.
I have those, and they work (and cheap) but they leave material behind, requiring more cleanup. Either way, the cutting oil dip is definitely important

I’m in the middle of doing mine right now, to install a one piece trunk pan. I’m hoping to reuse the lower valance, so I need to be more careful than you. Locate and punch all the spot welds then drill through the ones between the tail light panel and the trunk pan. Use the spot weld cutter of your choice to carefully do the welds at the sides, the tabs that attach to the cross member underneath (bottom of the valance) the bumper brackets and the trunk lock support. Most of those attachment points (except the ones at the quarter panels) have thicker metal behind the valance, making it easier to cut the spot weld without going through. Then the valance should come off.

Since I’m trying to save the valance on mine, and I’m replacing the trunk, I’m waiting on the Blair style cutters because I’m not always successful with the other type, and I don’t want to go through the tail light panel.

Go slow, take your time and good luck! This picture was after I’d drilled the trunk/valance welds and I’d marked the tail light/valance welds when I’d decided I’d try to do them from inside with the Blair cutters (arriving tomorrow). The painter tape was my way to create a mental barrier to avoid going any higher - just ignore that!
IMG_9406.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back