• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What charging issue do I have now?

jayfire

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
68 426 hemi with new Powermaster 95 amp alternator, set up just like stock one. New solid state voltage regulator. Bypassed ammeter. First start, it’s charging at 14.4 volts, but as it warms up to operating temp, it drops down to 12.9 volts, both readings at the battery. Was at 13.5 volts, then turned on headlights and watched it drop to 12.8 volts. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sure. I suggest you sell that car to me, very cheaply & very quickly, before that problem gets way out of hand !!

Sounds about right to me after the start it has to replenish what the starter used over 12 volts is a charge. I would try putting a max load on it and see if it stays over 12. Would see how it sits with everything on you can. To me and i am sure more will chime in if you see things drop down to 11 volts there is a problem.

Sure. I suggest you sell that car to me, very cheaply & very quickly, before that problem gets way out of hand !!
I didn’t even mention what the car was, just a 68 hemi I guess if it had a hemi, I wouldn’t care what it was in!

Auto Transport Service
Back