• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What coolant should i use if there is no conventional green available?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
I spent HOURS searching for conventional green (IAT) coolant in germany and it looks like you can't get it here. Tried rockauto and summitracing but they wont ship coolant to germany.

It looks like some folks tend to run G11/G48 coolant like this one over here:
https://www.glysantin.de/en/glysantinr-g48r-concentrate

But this G11/G48 is always blue or bluish green.
It also says
  • Silicate type hybrid technology
  • Protects through various inorganic and organic corrosion inhibitors (While the conventional green seems to be inorganic only)
Well i dont know but it almost seems like i have no choice.

What do you think about this stuff? Would you run it?
Or what would be better alternatives?

I dont want any unnecessary rust or higher operating temperature.

Edit: I think its a HOAT coolant?

Last edited:
I could currently get mopar MS-9769 concentrate.
But i have no idea what this is and if its a good alternative. (It's at least not IAT / conventional green)
I'm also not sure if i will be able to source that here in germany in the long run.

Make a friend of an American GI, and have him/her buy some from the AAFES garage... :thumbsup:

Well, in a previous job I was an antifreeze scientist. Anyway, the G11/G48 you describe looks like a "HOAT" (hyrbrid organic acid technology)...which means it's part inorganic (old school conventional green) and part organic (dexcool). Anyway, I would recommend you run Dexcool (aka an "OAT" based on 2-ethylhexanoic acid). All you need to do is make sure to flush your cooling system with DISTILLED OR DEIONIZED water and run it. I've tested it many times and it works just fine with cast iron, aluminum, lead solder, etc. It's cheap and it works. If you can't find it in Germany (I think you can), let me know and I'll find another one for you.

I run into similar issues with ordering certain items from Summit to Maine, USA, Just because they won't ship it, doesn't translate to illegal. As PurpleBeeper explained, Dexcool is fine but you need to completely flush the cooling system. However, research if ethylene-glycol based coolant is banned in Germany. If it's not banned from import/use. I would be happy to purchase and ship a case to you.

BTW, I could not order online an assembly lube for engine building, however I could purchase it locally. Somedays, things just don't make sense.

Make a friend of an American GI, and have him/her buy some from the AAFES garage... :thumbsup:

That would be great.
I'd also take some USDA Prime Tenderloin beef. :)

Well, in a previous job I was an antifreeze scientist. Anyway, the G11/G48 you describe looks like a "HOAT" (hyrbrid organic acid technology)...which means it's part inorganic (old school conventional green) and part organic (dexcool). Anyway, I would recommend you run Dexcool (aka an "OAT" based on 2-ethylhexanoic acid). All you need to do is make sure to flush your cooling system with DISTILLED OR DEIONIZED water and run it. I've tested it many times and it works just fine with cast iron, aluminum, lead solder, etc. It's cheap and it works. If you can't find it in Germany (I think you can), let me know and I'll find another one for you.

I found out that the Mopar MS-9769 is also HOAT type coolant.
So HOAT isn't good for my Stock 440hp with Stock 26" radiator?

I've read bad things about Dexcool. (Aka Deathcool :D)

Just because they won't ship it, doesn't translate to illegal. However, research if ethylene-glycol based coolant is banned in Germany. If it's not banned from import/use. I would be happy to purchase and ship a case to you.

I don't think its illegal because i tried other coolant which they also do not ship to germany.
I will do a bit further research and might come back to your offer!

Honestly, what I found in my research is that most coolants will work in old 440's....BUT, they should NEVER be mixed together. I suggest Dexcool-type because 1. it's cheap 2. it works 3. it's common
The "dexcool" formula (look for 2-ethylhexanoic acid or 2-ethylhexanoate on the label) is sold under many different brands.

The issue with "death cool" was that 2-EHA wasnt' compatible with older (say mid 80's ???) gasket material used by GM. They changed all their coolant gaskets for this reason. Hope this helps!

Also, a HOAT would work, it just doesn't last as long as dexcool

In America cats are usually poisoned by drinking green anti-freeze. Can you swap whatever you use in Germany for cats?

Auto Transport Service
Back