• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What dangerous animals, reptiles, insects do you have in your area?

SteveSS

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
We're too high up to have insects and only garter snakes, no poisonous snakes. Black bears are no problem, they are big babies. Seems like we have had a lot more mountain lions lately. Last week a guy heard something in the backyard and went out. It was a mountain eating an elk cow on his back porch. Another person showed their Ring Cam when 4 lions walked up his driveway. This is in the last two weeks.

Poisonous snakes, although we also have king snakes that keep the others in check, black widows and brown recluse, but I haven't encountered the latter and hope I never get bit by one, and alligators big enough to eat a small child or other animal. I nor my dogs swim in the bayou.

We have seasonal ones with memorizing lights dimming and brightening on their left sides that locate themselves only in front of your left eye. The Snow Bird.

Wisconsin is pretty calm. As I thought about it, this is what I came up with.

Large predators: We have the occasional mountain lion siting in the northern part of the state. Very rare to see them. Wolves are more common. I have seen many over the years up north. Black bears are everywhere but as mentioned, they are not a problem. They pretty much keep to themselves. I really don't worry about any of the large predators but if I had to it would be the wolves.

Snakes: The timber rattler is our indigenous venomous reptile. Habitat is the western part of the state along the Mississippi and inland along the Wisconsin river. I have never seen one but don't spend a lot of time in these areas.

Insects: None lethal, but a couple that are a pain in the ***. The brown recluse spider is here. I have known several people who have been bitten and it can get serious fast. A very small bug with a big bite. The other is the deer tick. Carries Lyme's disease. You want to address it soon after bitten or it can spiral out of control quickly.

If I missed any my fellow Wisconsinites can chime in.

D

A white faced hornet nearly took me to my maker.
Otherwise I can't think of anything.

The dangerous reptiles in my area wear suits and ties and hamper my well being.
Pretty much what I was going to say!! I might add those old guys with long hair, man, now that's scary, they prey on the young and the weak!!!! :poke:

Got this diamondback in my back yard last year.
IMG_2283.JPG

Most dangerous thing in my area is the Roaming Trouser Snake. LOL

Wabbits and Squirrels. Too F_____g cold for anything else to survive.

Most dangerous animal is probably that gal down at the quickie mart...
Mmmmm…. Deli Women! But Panthers, black bears, coyotes, fisher cats, black widows, brown recluse, copperheads, large eastern diamond back and timber rattlers, and potentially water moccasins.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back