• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you keep in your car at all times?

I keep a breaker bar with the correct deep socket in my vehicles, more than one occasion trying to loosen the lugs with the shitty jack wrench that was a beeitch even when I was younger..now to remember to check the tire pressure in the spare..

FIRE EXTINGUISHER! 20 years on a rural fire department; I know what I'm talking about.
I actually started carrying 2. Last year I was behind an older Nissan truck on the highway. All of a sudden flames shot out of the drivers side front wheel well. She pulled over and I followed. I had her pop the hood and grabbed a canvas tarp from the van, while she called the fire department. I put it out with the tarp before they showed up, they were very quick getting there, I’ll say that. What I was just amazed about was no one else stopped. I guess they would have let it burn to the ground or not care if someone was trapped inside, because they couldn’t be bothered. The fire department and her of course thanked me and the firefighters said this could have been a serious situation if it would have hit the tank. The highway was packed. That day I bought them to carry. I’ve always carried one in the car. I also bought one for the new 93 truck I bought. The ironic thing is, on my way to the job, I saw a burnt beyond recognition car on a flatbed.

Which is worse, having skank or burnt paint? Skank isn't the proper word here so I'll go with trashed. I'd rather have trashed over burnt paint!
The stories with fire X’s and training over the decades: At a utility truck builder some 75 employees were given training in the parking lot. Downwind there were around 25 brand new trucks waiting for the boxes to be installed and a few employee’s vehicles. Later it was found the paint was skanked (trashed) from the extinguishing media. All of them required new paint jobs. On another occasion, an adjacent biz’s nice landscaping vegetation was killed off and damaged vehicles.

On other occasions, employees were injured from the media blowing around and a few had allergic reactions. When I did training, used water extinguishers, bought a bunch of them as they’re rarely used anymore; but good for safe training. Had some fun setting up a drag strip in the parking lot or open area in the plant using 5/gal buckets. The idea was to move them within the lines without tipping them over. Techniques using most extinguishers, is developing a good aim given limited time (fire spreading) and a loaded ext, starting at the base of the fire and blanket it, without blasting it into the fire causing possible spread of the fire. Most extinguishers are designed to suffocate the fire whether dry/wet chemical, water, or CO2 types. The latter was known to be handy for cooling beer; but its intent as well, is robbing the fire of oxygen.

Another story: When I had been pleading with my company’s exec staff to finally deal with the 400 X’s in the building that were years overdue for attention, (some no longer legal) they didn’t agree, as it was around the time budget cuts and layoffs were happening (deluge of foreign competition from Japan then). I even got a setup with the fire X company to spread the expense out, starting with $2,500 to start. Nope. Well damn, we had an explosion and fire severely injuring a dozen employees and millions in damages, including two new machines ready to ship out. 23 out of 48 ext’s used didn’t work. Was near attacked by some employees when I arrived being royally pissed about this. One of our largest customers was peeved as well as they had been waiting two months for their machine center. They sent their condolences capped by never going to order another machine from us. They went to a Japanese builder. Dept was shut down for six weeks for repairs. THIS was a big bone of contention in the depositions. My efforts were in writing (files snagged under discovery) with lawyers asking “Why didn’t your company fix the fire extinguishers?” I said “They didn’t want to spend the money.” Nothing more I could say. How could this fire code be let go since the company was fire-inspected every friggin quarter by the city’s FD? I’ll never know. Been 35 years since that fire and remember it like it happened last week.

This guy. He rides in my car all the time. He was made for my grandmother by a dear friend of mine over 30 years ago. My grandma loved squirrels, and he has very special meaning to me. He rode in my GTX for almost 25 years, and is now a permenamt resident in the Roadrunner. His name is Chucky, and he is made of pipe cleaners. My brother has one in his car as well

View attachment 1335577
20220831_113439.jpg

These two little guys.
Shortly after marriage I adopted my wifes son and he gifted me my travel buddies. They've ridden with me every day for the past 20 years in my last 3 vehicles. We've logged just shy of 750,000 miles as a team!

Having a history with fire protection and training, using an extinguisher is a quick deal when it’s spent. For most uses an ABC is common. But, for a car where most fires are gas or electrical, a BC. Dry powders make a nasty-nasty friggin mess and will skank paint. The selection is long and suggest searching the net for recommended ext for cars. You can read up on the pros & cons. I’d say no less than 15lbs for a size. They discharge in under 15 seconds and that’s the shot hoping the fire is out..
I also recommend the Element unit. Puts out all possibilities of fire[ not sure about lithium batteries though] and leaves no residue to damage the area. There is a company down near you, in SJC or SC, that makes a bracket to mount them to the front of a seat just under the butt cushion. Easy access and doesn't use much space.
elementfire.com

I don’t know I’m doing it, but apparently I keep dust in my cars. Every week or so, I find dust on the dashboard and other surfaces inside the car.
My brother is just crazy about order and cleanliness. Keeps his vehicles and garage spotless. Open the hoods and looks showroom new. Sadly, I missed out on some of the DNA. Anyway, he keeps a super soft bristled little brush in his ride for brushing dust off the dash so as not to scratch the cluster lenses. Don’t know how some fantastically organized sorts do it, when I try it takes me longer than doing whatever fix-it I’m into. At my age I’m no longer as concerned as I used to be; the yeah I’ll get to it in the future stuff I’m realizing the future is no longer on my side.

Fire Extinguisher Tool Kits, and 1st Aid Kit along with survival equipment if I get stranded say in the Sierras where I live and have to transit...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

View attachment 1335835
These two little guys.
Shortly after marriage I adopted my wifes son and he gifted me my travel buddies. They've ridden with me every day for the past 20 years in my last 3 vehicles. We've logged just shy of 750,000 miles as a team!
Now that’s what I’m talking about.

wheel lock tool
(never leave home without it, never needed it yet)
I was in a buddies car & he got a flat, didn't have the wheel lock tool
what PITA, ended up having to have a tow/flatbed come out
haul his *** back

current reg & proof of insurance, my driver's licence
CHP frowns on it if you don't

fire extinguisher, especially in the RR
seen & heard too many horror stories

a tool kit (cheap Husky like 40pc, in plastic carry case)
a couple of screwdrivers, flat & Phillips
a few common combo wrenches
tow strap, tie downs & trailer hitch,

in my truck the Hypertech tuner/code scanner
to read codes or change the tune if need be
you never know

fix a flat (can tire repair)
used to carry tire plugs, way back when
haven't had a flat in decades
(hope I didn't just jinx myself :poke: )

depends on where I'm going too
when I go on a road trip, especially in an older car
I carry spare plugs, a couple wires, a spare ignition box, cap & rotor
appr. coil, jet collection box (old carb'd), appr. power valve,
water remover additive
some 12 ga. wire & spool of bailing wire
extra oil, extra tarns fluid, a 2 gal. gas can & a funnel or 2
all in a box in the trunk
**** you need on the side of the road

all the reg stuff, jack & spare, blanket/tarp etc.

better to have it & not need it, they wish you did

around home/locally, just the basics
& I have tools always

my trusty 1911

Last edited:
Fire extinguisher, spare and jack with fourway.
Extra ecu extra, voltage regulator.
Extra pickup coil electronic ignition.
Small tool box
Vacuum gauge and lm2 a/f meter connected at all times .

wheel lock tool
haul his *** back

you never know

water remover additive

& I have tools always

my trusty 1911
Nice!!

Cut the leg off a pair of pants.
Poke holes, fold and zip tie one end shut.
Insert fire bottle.
Tie open end closed with cord in bow.
(Leave ends long enough you can pull quickly.)
Slip under the passenger seat next to you for easy access.

wheel lock tool
haul his *** back

you never know

water remover additive

& I have tools always

my trusty 1911
Boy, you sure hit the mail on the head with the wheel lock. I got the 71 Barracuda out of the barn, and one of the rear brakes was locked up after sitting for 30+ years. Guess what?….wheel locks! And I mean 2 on one wheel, and no key lock to be found! And the locking lug nuts were flush with the rim, so no way to pound anything onto it. The bride and I tried pulling it up and down the street after spraying down the brakes between the backing plates and the drum, no go. Of course it was a pain in the behind moving it around, but it sold and the next owner is in charge of that job now. I was all out of ideas!

70BC4BDA-A27B-4902-AA0A-BA6D5E77A265.jpeg

If I told ya.....I would have to talk to a friend, who would talk to a friend....who would put me in touch with @Sonny Black .....who has a friend...... :lol:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ahh....Sonny Black. I was just with him at a car show 2 weeks ago. If you would have the opportunity to spend some time with him, you would believe he has the resources to make that happen! :lol:

Seriously, a truely good guy who I don't get to see often enough.:thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ahh....Sonny Black. I was just with him at a car show 2 weeks ago. If you would have the opportunity to spend some time with him, you would believe he has the resources to make that happen! :lol:

Seriously, a truely good guy who I don't get to see often enough.:thumbsup:
I think very highly of Sonny. He is on my bucket list of people I would love to meet with one day....along with yourself & Mario to name a couple extras. :D

6 pack of Genny Cream Ale
Box of Trojans
Ballast resistor
Spare ECU
Marlboro Reds

Wait, that was 1976!
Nowadays:
6 pack of bottled water
Ibuprofen
Ballast resistor
Spare ECU
fire extinguisher