• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you recommend for head gaskets?

I agree complete, but a lot of folks do not want to spend around $100 for each gasket. I would, but my response stems from working with customers.
Same story here. I just tell them this is what we're putting on. Saves you from future headaches.

If you want to keep the head surface mint use an MLS (cometic) headgasket . :thumbsup:

And which for best results.... and following COMETIC recommendations, should use a 50 ra or finer finish applied on BOTH the Engine Block and Heads

https://www.cometic.com/tech-support
A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design.

Just an FYI,
I could not find .02 thick steel shim head gaskets. I had Mr Gaskets on bo from Summit and they keep moving the delivery date back.

Called around and got a set from Marsh Performance. Superformance made in USA.

Delivered in 2 days!

Just an FYI,
I could not find .02 thick steel shim head gaskets. I had Mr Gaskets on bo from Summit and they keep moving the delivery date back.

Called around and got a set from Marsh Performance. Superformance made in USA.

Delivered in 2 days!
How thick were the Superformance ones?

1009 Gasket bore is 4.410" and 440+060=4.350". The gasket bore is 0.060" larger than the bore so it is virtually impossible to "overhang" the head gasket.

.060 over is 4.38. The 1009 will overhang some blocks with large chamfers, 400 blocks and late 440s seem to be more of a problem. Sometimes non mopar machine shops overdo the chamfer, just need to check it. Sometimes they unshroud the head to much, or use a 8519 for a pattern when putting big valves in, 1009 will overhang. If you run nitrous it is smart to be sure the ring is back about .020.

.060 over is 4.38. The 1009 will overhang some blocks with large chamfers, 400 blocks and late 440s seem to be more of a problem. Sometimes non mopar machine shops overdo the chamfer, just need to check it. Sometimes they unshroud the head to much, or use a 8519 for a pattern when putting big valves in, 1009 will overhang. If you run nitrous it is smart to be sure the ring is back about .020.
You are correct, I mis-typed and meant to say 440 + 0.030"= 4.350" as his block is only 0.030" over...

Yes, I have seen some really ugly chamfer areas on Mopars big and small. It does affect what gasket you use, sometimes rules out your gasket choice. The nice thing about Cometic gaskets is not only the thickness' available, but available bore sizes too.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back