• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you run for ATF in your 727?

lazermule

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
Looking to see what you guys are running for ATF in your 727's? My tranny guy doesn't like synthetic ATF, but I do... Rather than go against his wishes and void the rather nice warranty he gives me, I thought I'd check around to see who's running what.

Right now, I'm just running a bulk grade run of the mill Dexron ATF. The problem I am having is not on the street, but on the track when I get into round-robin runs. It seems to build up heat quickly and then wants to come out of the vent on the top of the tranny.

The tranny guy says to run Motorcraft Dexron if I can find it.......pretty rare around here as I have found none...

So what is it you guys are running? Valvoline? Castrol? anyone running Mobil 1 synthetic with success???

Thanks,

LM

Im running 650 hp and 1200 lb ft tq, through my 47re using atf+3.. stock clutches, alto red sintered front band, built vb, billet pistons, full billet converter and billet input shaft. shifts hard and fast.

typeF here..i've always ran typeF in my 727's.. it definetly won't hurt it.

Really? Type F? In a 727? Wont hurt it?

LM

i've also used atf+4 castrol and it looked brand new after i changed it after a season of racing but i seem to like the feel of the type f , the shifts feel much crisper.

I guess I may just have to give it a try.... Anyone have brand preference? Castrol(BP)? Valvoline? Motorcraft?

LM

Type F here as well. Mopar Performance book actually recommends it for racing due to better coefficient of friction.

F is OK and the new types of penzoil are much beeter than valvoline. it is sad I used valvoline for over 30+ years, I am sure it is still ok, but it smells almost burnt even from the bottle.

Amisol makes even better fluid, but it depends what lutch plates, bands etc you run?

are they kevlar, collen etc?

For stock I agree F is the best choice bites better...

PS heat is the key keep it cool!

:)

ATF + 4 for me. Ron

I've been using valvoline type F for over 30 yrs.on the street& racecars,never had a problem! type F gives you a firmer shift.

Had Rick Allison of A&A transmission build my race tranny, and I asked himwhat I should use. He said use any Dexron/Mercon III. That they all meet the same standard. So I get mine at a farm and ranch 2 gallons at a time. I change it every 30 runs or there about. I leave on my trans break at 5100 RPM and have about 300 runs on it.

Type F was what I was told 20yrs ago by my Mopar mentor.I use Castrol and hasn't failed me yet.

Can I mix Type F with ATF+4?

Reason: I have a fresh built trans with no fluid in it and a used convertor that has ATF+4. I didn't drain the fluid from the convertor and I need to put fluid in the trans. I was told the the Type F is cheaper than the other so was just wondering if the 2 can be mixed.

I used to run type F without any problems but Dexron lubricates better. I'm running Dexron now in my 66. I would not mix the two.

Seems to me switching tranny fluid isn't going to help your situation. Do you have a deep pan? Having more fluid mass will take longer to heat up. How about a better cooler? Granted the cooler isn't doing squat in the pits but while fluid is circulating you need to dump the heat.

Auto Transport Service
Back