• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what gas is better

gtxrt

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
what would be better and more power, non ethanol 90 with 30* total timing or ethanol 93 with 33* total. any more timing than 30 or 33 will cause pinging.

I’ve just started running non-ethanol 90 in my cars recently after using 10% ethanol 93 for years. So far I haven’t felt the need to retune any of them but I may not have had enough experience with the 90 octane yet. I guess if it were me and I couldn’t run any more than 30 deg total timing on 90 octane, then I would probably go back to the 93 ethanol.

If you can only get to 30 your not in a good place.
Your cylinder pressure is too high or you have lots of carbon in there.

what would be better and more power, non ethanol 90 with 30* total timing or ethanol 93 with 33* total. any more timing than 30 or 33 will cause pinging.
93 Ethanol w/ 33*

More timing , more power . In the proper context of course.

If Ethanol gas is no good for mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws or boats, why would you think that it’s ok for your classic car. If your car sits for any length of time I would only run Ethanol free.

If Ethanol gas is no good for mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws or boats, why would you think that it’s ok for your classic car. If your car sits for any length of time I would only run Ethanol free.
i guess towards the end of driving season you can start using non ethanol for winter storage.

Regardless of where the timing is set, I always use non-ethanol.

And will continue to do so as long as it’s available in our area. Comes as 90 octane in my neck of the woods.

Can’t answer the 93 w/ethanol for you. Never done it.

93 octane ethanol-free here.
Fred simply hates the stuff with ethanol in it; there's a noticeable difference in him.

The two late-model 5.7 hemi critters seem fine with 93 with 10% ethanol (computers adapt, ya know) -
but as experiments before, when I put the $1 more/gallon ethanol free in them, the mpg increases.
Of course it does - science don't lie.
Gasoline has more BTU energy per gallon than ethanol does...

i guess towards the end of driving season you can start using non ethanol for winter storage.
The Ethanol gas will chalk up your carburetor, fuel pump, fuel lines and gas tank. Alcohol attracts moisture. I only burn Ethanol free in my classic’s.

The Ethanol gas will chalk up your carburetor, fuel pump, fuel lines and gas tank. Alcohol attracts moisture. I only burn Ethanol free in my classic’s.
10% ethanol here for 15 plus years. Two classic cars, chainsaws, blowers, mowers, weed whackers, outboards, inboards. Must be lucky

93 Ethanol w/ 33*
The ethanol fuel is purported to have octane ratings higher than advertised.
You will use more fuel when using ethanol fuels but that higher octane will allow more spark advance.
I’ve ran nothing but ethanol fuel in my Charger since I have no choice here in California. The horror stories they told about ethanol were exaggerated. I have had to replace rubber lines more frequently but I’ve had no carburetor troubles. No rusty gas from a failing tank or lines, nothing major. I’d prefer regular gasoline but it isn’t available here.

It is fine in those engines as long as the owners use up the fuel. When you go to use the tool again, fill it with fresh gas.
The reason they tell customers to avoid ethanol is because these small engines sit for awhile with gas in the carburetors. This will lead to failures in the gaskets, needle valves and fuel lines. The smart move is to run them dry if you expect to let them sit more than a few days.

Ethanol is not mandatory in california, but OXYGENATED gasoline is, and ethanol is how the oil companies oxygenate gas.
Short of race gas, at what?$12/gal, pure gas is not available. Period.
For the o.p., more octane, more timing, easy choice. 93 ethanol.

I can't say I have had any trouble with ethanol in old cars, doesn't seem to matter all modern gas evaporates out of the bowl. Electric pumps are nice for that. I usually choose the best octane which is typically E10....but I prefer to use non ethanol if something sits for a long time. The modern small engines such as the two strokes have went to throw away, unrebuildable carbs to meet ridiculous california emissions laws. They barely run on straight gas let alone anything with ethanol.

Auto Transport Service
Back