• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have I gotten myself into???

Hi guys my name is Dean. When I describe myself you may wonder why I started here initially and after starting to hear some of my currently evolving story, you may wonder why I am still here.

I have been a Mercedes-Benz technician pretty much my whole adult life and I am just shy of 44 years old. My dad's side of the family is from the hills of Kentucky and if you know anything about them thar hills it's that they have always loved old domestic muscle cars. My Dad and my Uncles were all big into cars when they were young and this continued well into my early years. I remember my dad having a 57' Chevy 210, 68" Camaro, 71' Cutlass and a 66 GTO. He was a GM man for sure but loved talking about all the old fast cars of the 60's and their experiences racing the streets down in Kentucky (Dorton, Kentucky area).

I of course have always loved muscle cars and knew one day I would get something of my own or something my son and I could build together. Well, my son is still only 6 but I had some cash saved up and started looking though I was not particularly looking for any certain body or brand. I came along a local 1965 Satellite, original owner that 'hotrodded' it in the late 70's/early 80's and left pretty much in that condition in a storage building behind his house.

I bought this car knowing it was to be a project and that I was in no rush. Now with it in my possession I somehow feel rushed to dig into her and will soon start a thread on what I have found.

I, along with my Dad and Uncles, do have a really natural strong ability in understanding things mechanical, it's the experience in these old cars and engines that I lack. I think this forum is not only going to help me with bringing this old car back but be a ton of fun along the way. Thanks for allowing me to join in your hangout. Who knows, maybe I can be of help someday too.

Welcome to the best forum in the world from Carson City Nevada.

You are a very blessed man to own a fantastic car like that.

It has the same exact console with the same 4 speed top plate and Hurst shifter in it that my 1964 Polara 500 had when I was in high school (my very first car). Mine had the 426 street wedge in it.

I can't wait to find out what engine lurks under that hood!

Enjoy, and again welcome to the fun.

Mike
God Bless America!!!!

Love it - Welcome from NC . . . welcome to the madness . . .

Nice project. I'm doing a 65 also, and only 12 miles from you in Johnstown.
IMG_4770.JPG

Thank you! Yeah, the stance is classic 70's and the new tires should be here tomorrow. I am hoping the rear 10" Welds will allow new 275/60-15's to tuck nicely into the wheel wells. He has large coil-over shocks in the back that I am hoping will settle her down when replaced. New KYB's coming with the tires. I even found some old reverb thing still hooked up in the trunk. Classic
Now I know where my old reverb ended up!!!

Thanks again everyone! I started another thread in the 62-65 forum for my work in progress and pictures as I go along.

Mccmail, of course I am going to want to see that car in person someday. I can only hope to get mine in that kind of condition. Beautiful car! I am off 37 just east of 605 so about halfway between Johnstown and Sunbury just inside the Delaware county line. There is a gentleman by the name of Kevin that owns Classic Design Auto Body at the end of my road that I hear is the go to guy for classic car bodywork in this area. I don't and won't try to do bodywork or paint so I will pay dearly for that if I want it done right.

So now I'm thinking if there was even FMstereo back in the day? Great looking car.

Welcome from hot, humid, stormy South Florida. Nice body on those 65 B's.

Hi guys my name is Dean. When I describe myself you may wonder why I started here initially and after starting to hear some of my currently evolving story, you may wonder why I am still here.

I have been a Mercedes-Benz technician pretty much my whole adult life and I am just shy of 44 years old. My dad's side of the family is from the hills of Kentucky and if you know anything about them thar hills it's that they have always loved old domestic muscle cars. My Dad and my Uncles were all big into cars when they were young and this continued well into my early years. I remember my dad having a 57' Chevy 210, 68" Camaro, 71' Cutlass and a 66 GTO. He was a GM man for sure but loved talking about all the old fast cars of the 60's and their experiences racing the streets down in Kentucky (Dorton, Kentucky area).

I of course have always loved muscle cars and knew one day I would get something of my own or something my son and I could build together. Well, my son is still only 6 but I had some cash saved up and started looking though I was not particularly looking for any certain body or brand. I came along a local 1965 Satellite, original owner that 'hotrodded' it in the late 70's/early 80's and left pretty much in that condition in a storage building behind his house.

I bought this car knowing it was to be a project and that I was in no rush. Now with it in my possession I somehow feel rushed to dig into her and will soon start a thread on what I have found.

I, along with my Dad and Uncles, do have a really natural strong ability in understanding things mechanical, it's the experience in these old cars and engines that I lack. I think this forum is not only going to help me with bringing this old car back but be a ton of fun along the way. Thanks for allowing me to join in your hangout. Who knows, maybe I can be of help someday too.
Welcome Bicylindrico, from another old Ky boy, I'm from central Ky, half way between louisville and paducah in Owensboro, my 64 bel will be almost identical to your sattie on the mechanical side, and I have been messing with mine since 1975!! so by now I know most of the little quirks of these cars, if you need help there is a wealth of info on this site, and a bunch of good guys. pwDave.

Auto Transport Service
Back