• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if a disaster happened right now?

Tony Tee

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
If a disaster or the economy went to crap this second. How long could you survive at home with what you have on hand?
I live in Florida so I have hurricane supplies. So for me, I can live comfortably for about 2 weeks at my 1 acre.

You might want to increase your stockpile... I always have lots of water, canned goods, I always keep a couple hundred pounds of rice & beans, not because I love either but they will keep you alive.. Bleach... Ammo... I always have some frozen stuff but not much, loose power & it goes away....

I have a barrel of C12.
The key is, short trips :thumbsup:

My wife tends to buy food that is on sale and will keep, such as canned goods. Some woman behind her at the register, probably a newby to the area, inquired about the amount of stuff in her basket. My wife replied that hurricane season is almost here. The woman, now all shook up, said “there’s a hurricane coming”. Wife replied, not now, but if there was, this place would be just crazy, with everyone in a panic.

If a disaster or the economy went to crap this second. How long could you survive at home with what you have on hand?
I live in Florida so I have hurricane supplies. So for me, I can live comfortably for about 2 weeks at my 1 acre.
literally about 2 days.. i have no dry/canned food.. and only whats in the freezer which would go hot in 2 days time....

Enough where I can stay entrenched or bug out, if the need came.

Also in FL with hurricane supplies.

Probably a month, and about 2 weeks with refrigeration and one room AC.

If it's really an economic collapse.....WAY bigger issues than how much food and water you have.

It won't matter if you live near an urban area. Unless you have an actual fort to hole up in. big cities are already full to the brim with selfish people, one day of being hungry and they will be digging a trench.....

if you live far away from that, the disaster would determine how long you can go. The thing about bugging out is fine until you get a toothache or break your fingers. Any extended time without electricity means no fuel for anything, means no transportation to bring more anything in to your area. Natural disaster is actually likely the easiest to deal with, other parts of the country are still functioning. Fed level economic collapse or WW3? Yeah, I think I might rather get blown up in the first bomb then deal with the following decade+, i am plenty old already I wouldn't miss that much and despite a desire to believe in your neighbors, people nowdays are selfish dicks.

I'm ready
1684974345265.jpeg
1684974355401.jpeg
1684974368759.jpeg

The economy has already gone to ****! I'm just an old working guy. The poor and the lower middle class takes all the hits. With the prices right now minimum wage needs to be $25.00 an hour. When I get hungry, I'm going to be paying a visit to mr. "I've got a sub-zero fridge."

The economy has already gone to ****! I'm just an old working guy. The poor and the lower middle class takes all the hits. With the prices right now minimum wage needs to be $25.00 an hour. When I get hungry, I'm going to be paying a visit to mr. "I've got a sub-zero fridge."
Depends on who Mr I've got a Sub-zero fridge is.. I have a good buddy with three Sub-zero fridges.. And a full blown arsenal... His property has booby traps & hides... Choose wisely...

Depends on who Mr I've got a Sub-zero fridge is.. I have a good buddy with three Sub-zero fridges.. And a full blown arsenal... His property has booby traps & hides... Choose wisely...
That's why you start a mile away with the 50. lol

That's why you start a mile away with the 50. lol
Good plan.. LOL.. Yeah, this guy is a little over the edge... Has a 25 acre plot in the foothills, after years running a construction business in SF about six years ago he sold the business, sold his estate in Woodside & built a compound in the hills... He's got close to 30 250 gallon LP tanks buried around the place so his generator can probably run continuously for a couple years... Every time I stop by he's got some other project going on... Unlimited funds and a little paranoia... Honestly I'm surprised he's still in California....

In about a month, I will refill all of my fuel jugs in prep for hurricane season. I will have enough on hand to keep the generator running for about 2 weeks, this will power the house and my well. Plus a couple of jugs of diesel to keep my truck moving for a few weeks. I will also stockpile enough simple foods for a couple weeks as well. If things go bad for longer than that, I am screwed. My property is adjacent to a couple hundred acres of farm land. Whatever crop they are growing at the time will likely become a primary food source if other opportunities dry up. I think it is green beans right now....yuk!

After a hurricane, if there's widespread power outages and gas shortages, I use my 80 MPG scooter to recon the area until I find a station that has gas and/or gas and a relatively short line.
I may take a gallon jug or 2 with me if the shortage is bad, but that creates a situation where I can drive the car/truck straight to a station that I know has gas and power to pump it.

The scooter can also navigate around down trees and power lines, and lots of other possible obstacles.

About 6 weeks: taking care of mom, plenty of canned goods, both freezers loaded, milk/ice tea bottles of water for drink & flush toilet (live on top of hill, so DOWN IT GOES). Can't shoot deer that "trespass" daily (live in suburbs!!) would be arrested and do 10-15 years for firearms discharge, IT'S NEW JERSEY!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back