• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if a disaster happened right now?

Depends if I'm at home or the farm. At home about 2 weeks, at the farm, from now on.

I'm on 6.6 acres with a pond full of fish, next to a dairy farm with around 300 cows so I'm good for the 1st 6 months. Enough ammo to defend or collect, and the attitude to do either.

At least 1 year without resorting to primitive measures. Country boys will survive. In the summer growing season we rarely see a grocery store anyway. Seeds would become an issue for some, but if you know what you're doing it's not a problem. We have a Woodburner for backup heat now. Grandpa ran a full slaughterhouse, so meat wouldn't be a problem. Power generation would be the most immediate concern after about 6 months. Our water is from a deep artesian well, not an issue. It is also 40 degrees, think free refrigeration with some ingenuity. Poor or rural people would be the most adept at adjusting, urban the least. Most of them would not make it a month.
As far as armament goes, no-one will ever know how much I have, just don't plan on taking anything that's mine without permission.

If I can't make it on the farm, I'm going to take it from anywhere I can when the chaos starts. Thinking you'll be able to keep what you have with a gun is a fools wish with everyone out of their mind with fear. They steal from stores unchecked now, can you imagine an Apocalypse.

In FL, so hurricane supplies plus a whole house generator with 1000 gal propane tank that will power the house for 2-3 weeks, longer if we economize. We could probably last a good month, but would be subsisting on bare necessities food-wise after a few weeks. Water is on a well so it will last as long as the generator unless I come up with a manual pump.

Neighbors down the street keep a flock of sheep, another neighbor keeps goats and several have chickens. Might be able to get some eggs, mutton and goats milk. If not, I'll start hunting all the rabbits and squirrels in my yard.

If I can't make it on the farm, I'm going to take it from anywhere I can when the chaos starts. Thinking you'll be able to keep what you have with a gun is a fools wish with everyone out of their mind with fear. They steal from stores unchecked now, can you imagine an Apocalypse.
yeah - tell that to the 'korean grocers'...

At any given time on the section where I live, I can take a deer, turkey, or smaller game. I live close to a well stocked pond. I have lots of ammo and reloading supplies I have a well for water I also have several life straws so I can drink river water. I also have several hit and miss engines I could run a well pump and a small generator.

The key to that is grocer(s) more than one... A single person can't be prepared to defend 24-7 and can't defend 360 degrees... You need a team...
Thank you!! When this happens and thousands of people are going out of their minds, he's deader than a door nail the first day.

If it got really bad there are 1000's of stray cat in this world. Might do some good to clean them out. I have never eaten one but I have eaten muskrat, couldn't be much worse.

If it got really bad there are 1000's of stray cat in this world. Might do some good to clean them out. I have never eaten one but I have eaten muskrat, couldn't be much worse.

I've had cat in Saudi, where it was claimed it was "chicken". Tastes good, actually. A little dish we called "Shish-ta-Kitty". Delicious with grilled onion and green peppers! We'd have feral cats all over the place...then one day, no cats, and the TCNs would be cooking the shish-ta-kitty. Funny how the little kitty cats vanished, but more would appear, and the cycle starts again!

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, or know where you can borrow one, they're a good, cheap investment. You can put away some staple foods, quickly, and reasonably, No refrigeration needed, 5 gal sealable buckets, pasta, rice, dried beans, etc, and canned goods to dress them up. One thing not many people think of, is a Good grade water filter, large enough to keep your group, including pets, hydrated. This will do well, until the wheels come off the cart, and Arms are needed for Defense...

My wife will expire because she refuses to eat game. I told her at one time cows were probably wild animals

Actually you can live without red meat. Protein, vegetables and water will help you make it through most of the problem till as Vandan said, until the wheels come off the cart, and Arms are needed for Defense, which will happen about two days into this nightmare.

I think it would be a while before I ever run out of food..
20230523_163006.jpg

Kinda like coon and noodles :drinks:

Thank you!! When this happens and thousands of people are going out of their minds, he's deader than a door nail the first day.
A - don't bet on it cupcake and
B - if anyone - including an army unit - has THOUSANDS coming at THEM at once, theres gonna be a lot of death. If youre gonna go, make them pay for it. Heavily.

A - don't bet on it cupcake and
B - if anyone - including an army unit - has THOUSANDS coming at THEM at once, theres gonna be a lot of death. If youre gonna go, make them pay for it. Heavily.
I'm sure you're right. I'm just some poor dumb ****** over here hiding in the corner. Accept my apologies. I'm not worried about the army, it's the 100's of thousands of crazy bastard that will take everything you have including your wife. The government is the least of your problems, it's your neighbor you need to worry about. Just my opinion.

I'd say 1 month in comfort, and 2 if we buckled down. We have a food/water store (mostly for earthquake preparedness), a well, a generator +8 vehicles to siphon gas out of, and lots of firewood if it happens to be winter. There are plenty of deer here, but if the **** really hits the fan everyone else will also be shooting them... so not counting on that.

It's my view that it's every responsible citizens duty to be prepared to go a minimum of 1-2 weeks without any help or services. More if they can. This allows responders to focus on the folks that really get hit the hardest.

Auto Transport Service
Back