• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is paint code 8 81 really??

67GeeTeeX

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Greetings all, Happy New Year too.
I'm getting ready to repaint my '67 GTX to what I call "Bright Blue Metallic".

My original '67 was a beautiful medium blue with some fine metallic particles in it. (below) (It was NOT the larger metal "FLAKE", of the day)
I've been looking at OEM paint chips and the closest I can find is the 881 "Medium Blue Poly". I've not been able to locate any description of "metallic".
SO...what am I looking for? What is todays equivalent? Should I look for lacquer, enamel, base coat/clear coat?? The current car, was originally a medium blue but has been repainted with a dark midnight blue metallic. I plan to sand off all the old and realy old paint and re-do with the 881.

Any opinions and assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Attachments

• 67 gtx.jpg
    67 gtx.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:
Can you find any of the original paint anywhere? Is any on the back side of the trunk? If so some paint stores can take a pic of it with a special camera that will help match up the paint to a current color or they will be able to mix some to match the original. Yhey did it for me once for my Duster. Hopkins and kip was the supplier. Great looking car, good luck.

Greetings all, Happy New Year too.
I'm getting ready to repaint my '67 GTX to what I call "Bright Blue Metallic".

My original '67 was a beautiful medium blue with some fine metallic particles in it. (below) (It was NOT the larger metal "FLAKE", of the day)
I've been looking at OEM paint chips and the closest I can find is the 881 "Medium Blue Poly". I've not been able to locate any description of "metallic".
SO...what am I looking for? What is todays equivalent? Should I look for lacquer, enamel, base coat/clear coat?? The current car, was originally a medium blue but has been repainted with a dark midnight blue metallic. I plan to sand off all the old and realy old paint and re-do with the 881.

Any opinions and assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Yes, 88 is the factory paint code in 1967 was called Bright Blue Metallic in the Plymouth line. The 1 signifies that it is a monotone not a two tone.

Yes, it has a LOT of small metallic in it.

I believe the color was unchanged for 1968 but the factory paint code was changed to QQ with the same name. The color is similar to 1969-70 B5 blue but a little darker and also a little more "electric" looking.

If you take the factory color code to an automotive paint store that has been around for a loooong time they will likely have the original PPG-Ditzler color chips for the factory color so you can see it and the paint formula will indeed car for metallic.

I would recomend color matching to original paint you can find that has had no color fade in areas like up under the package tray in the trunk or behind the kick panels inside the front of the car. With the changes in the paint formulas today using the old color formula codes it often comes out WAY off from what you are going to expect.

I also am not a fan of the base coat clear coats today for our old cars for many reasons. One being that the have more of a "wet" look which looks out of place on our old cars. I would stick with a single stage enamel which is true to what was on the car originally. Either way, try to color match it rather than relying on the old color formula with the new paints.

thank you for your time and response. I will take your advise.
Happy New Year...
dlb

My 67 has the same code, thanks for answering some of my questions.... before I asked them. now about the "1" being a non 2 tone paint, that does not refer to the argent silver lower beltline paint, correct?

My 67 has the same code, thanks for answering some of my questions.... before I asked them. now about the "1" being a non 2 tone paint, that does not refer to the argent silver lower beltline paint, correct?

Correct.

Two tone cars have the top painted one color and the rest of the body, below the belt line, another color. It was an option but the percentage of cars that were painted two tone goes down throughout the 60's and early 70's. Two tone cars were much more prevelent in the 50's and early 60's. By the early 70's two tones weren't as popular.

You do see somewhat of a resurgence in multi color cars in the mid-late 70's with the Aspens/Volare's and Chargers.

Hi,

I'm solving a similar problem. 881 is bright blue metallica... but it's very close to Medium Blue Metallica.... what did you end up painting your car with? I have E 881... I'm leaning toward Medium blue... .please share your thoughts...

thanks

Medium Blue CC1 or Bright Blue 88-1?

Hi,

I'm solving a similar problem. 881 is bright blue metallica... but it's very close to Medium Blue Metallica.... what did you end up painting your car with? I have E 881... I'm leaning toward Medium blue... .please share your thoughts...

thanks

Bright Blue Metallic (88-1) is a shade darker than Medium Blue Metallic CC-1. (Despite the fact that logic would make one think the opposite when looking at the names.) I have an original paint chip from PPG that I am looking at. 88-1 Is used in single tone paint jobs and CC-1 can be used in two-tone paint jobs (schemes). Attached is a pic of my original '67 GTX taken in 1969. (I have not yet painted my current '67 but have purchased the equivalent of 88-1 so as to match my original car.

Good Luck
dave

67gtx2.jpg

I matched my colour from the original paint underneath the windscreen rubber - since its a repaint, there's a good chance the screen is coming out for the first time ever.

Auto Transport Service
Back