• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I expect to pay for a decent 1968-1970 charger 4 speed Dana car?

Smart move!
Ha Ha, yup...good one.
PS: Whats with the USMC decal and the DOD decal, Marines letting their hair grow long now?
Ha Ha, As I am Retired USAF and Retired Dept. of Defense, I notice those things...
Again Michael, GREAT Car!
Congratulations!

Its just there because i needed to pass inspection with a chipped windshield.
New windshield was delivered TODAY. :)

Otherwise MAYBE im off and those "piles of junk" are really worth over 20k.
I just dont think that would be resonable no matter how you look at it.

I have a 70 Hemi engine, 426 Standard Bore etc and it is worth $20K
This isn't Kansas anymore...
Rusted 1959 El Caminos are selling for $12 to $15K
"Times are a changin"

PS: Whats with the USMC decal and the DOD decal, Marines letting their hair grow long now?

I only added the decals in the upper left spot of the windshield (flowmaster etc.)
All other decals are from the original owner.

So, here's a guy from Europe, Germany nevertheless, telling US not to drive up the prices of B-bodies.

So, here's a guy from Europe, Germany nevertheless, telling US not to drive up the prices of B-bodies.

If you are refering to the high prices of us classics in germany/europe.
Well thats europe for ya. Im not a fan, too.

Edit:

And its not just classic cars.
I think europe (at least germany) is pretty much the california of the usa.

Last edited:
If you are refering to the high prices of us classics in germany/europe.
Well thats europe for ya. Im not a fan, too.

Edit:

And its not just classic cars.
I think europe (at least germany) is pretty much the california of the usa.
On that last note... I'm so sorry.

For all you guys in the know, in today’s market, what is a fair price for a half decent 1968-1970 R/T project/ barb find...preferably 4 speed Dana?

I just paid $32k for a running pretty good shape 1970 Conronet R/T 440 4bbl 4-speed manual convertible with good top and interior. Driver quality. 65k miles that appears to be original. Hagerty says a solid #3 level car like mine was $36,500. Each year/model will vary.

Im talking complete car, usual rust (floors, trunk, lower quarters, Dutchman, etc), probably not running or disassembled.

I want to build a car, but if I’m going all in I’d want a real RT.
Thanks in advance!

Price will also depend on number matching. If you are looking to build a driver and don't care if engine and trans are original? But period correct? That can cut your purchase price as much as 50%. And of course original performance package will also weigh heavy. Not all R/Ts were created equal. And plan on doing some watching and research for awhile. I have a somewhat recent example.

My '69 GTX. I was looking for a '69 GTX specifically to replace the one I had to sell 30 years ago. I searched for a little over 2 years until I found this one on the Canadian boarder here in Minnesota. My criteria was 4 speed. GTX has only 440 or 426 engine options. And 4 speeds have Dana rear as default option. (But could be changed after 50 years) I also didn't want a numbers matching. Or I should say. Didn't want to pay number's matching prices. My GTX is not even close to fender tag description. What I can see? Someone 25+years ago made this GTX from 2 GTX and some Sport Satellite panels. But VIN does match existing title. With period correct performance components. Purchase price when all said and done near $23k.

The car I would grade 3 to from scale 0-5. Nice enough to put up to any local show. But also could use work to get it to a 4+. Because the car is so far off from anything numbers matching? Any future upgrades or restomod ideas (Future Hemi? Umm) is not a sin.

A 68-70 R/T Charger typically goes 10%-20% more than GTX. But still a fair comparison.

I hope this posts helps illustrate what you might expect. Quick Video of car below

Here's another 1969 GTX for comparison. It's a numbers matching 4-speed car, which I have owned for five years. It sold on ebay in 2013 for $18,500 in excellent mechanically restored condition, needing body and paint work, but with a very nice interior which was a combination of original panels and new Legendary pieces. Had shabby original paint, and metal was in good shape except for lower quarters, as car had been garaged all its life, 50,000 original miles. I paid $49500 for it, previous owner had completed a fresh rotisserie restoration. I added a thousand dollars of NOS and Roger Gibson reproduction parts over the last few years, but haven't had to do anything else. Car wins local shows, and drives perfectly.

I fell into this one, was actually looking for a hemi car at the time, but this was too good a deal to pass up. Maybe I'm behind the times with pricing, and obviously there is a premium for a Charger.
IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2273.JPG

Last edited:
That sounds about right. Its hard to compare over just a few years. Prices typically have gone up about 5% per year. But that has not been constant. If my GTX was numbers matching? I believe it would be a $40k car. Not a $25k car. I believe add 20% for a comparable Charger R/T. 440, 4speed Dana 60 car. So a condition 4 numbers matching GTX goes for $50k+? Charger R/T $60k. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I can tell you from my experiences with Chargers, you better have deep pockets, brother Texan. I have personal knowledge, wink wink, of several 4 speed Chargers over the years. One was a 69 440 RT, B7 blue 4 speed, with fender tag, build sheet and original Dana. Non original motor and hemi trans were included, but the car was very apart. It was probably one of the straightest most rust free cars ever to be in my shop. The guy that bought it could hardly believe his eyes. I can’t discuss the sales price openly. It was restored and sold to a dealer. I’m sure he made money on the sale. It ended up selling. Not sure of the final price but it was listed for $134,500. It was very nice.
In the last year, a friend just bought a kind of survivor 69 Charger 440 RT, 4 speed, Dana, B5 blue with blue int, fender tag,matching trans. It has original paint, but needed some touch ups and the motor was a 75 cast crank that was not balanced for the flywheel, so I’m building him a new motor. It other words, it was not ready to enjoy. He paid $50,000.
I’m working on a B5 blue, RT 440 auto in my shop for a customer. It’s matching motor, tag and 2 buildsheet. It would be considered a project car at this point. It still needs the motor and interior installed. He turned down $50,000 for it the other day. He would only sell it if I would sell him my A12 Bee project car. I passed. Now these are all rust free Texas cars I’m talking about.

There is currently a 68 R/T 440, four speed Dana car in Davenport Iowa for $25k. (Not mine)

It's on The Mopar Hunter Facebook page or Davenport Facebook Marketplace I believe.
Screenshot_20201010-082829_Facebook.jpg

For all you guys in the know, in today’s market, what is a fair price for a half decent 1968-1970 R/T project/ barb find...preferably 4 speed Dana?

Im talking complete car, usual rust (floors, trunk, lower quarters, Dutchman, etc), probably not running or disassembled.

I want to build a car, but if I’m going all in I’d want a real RT.
Thanks in advance!

A provable REAL R/T ..... with that 4 spd/Dana pedigree(Fender Tag or B-Sheet) would indicate a Track Pack example, which requiring restoration or not if fairly complete otherwise sans engine/trans and still "half decent" condition will still set you back minimum $25K USD IMO, and most probably more.
And it goes without saying....
that any example you would then acquire in that price range(IF it could be found) may undoubtedly require many 10's of thousands $$ from there even just to be roadworthy ? let be any real restoration ?

While I would agree with the criterion to acquire a REAL R/T as best return for any restoration investment...... albeit, all restorations being poor return on $$.... compromising the initial search criterion by insisting upon a Track Pack 4 spd/Dana Car may be cause for reflection moving forward ?

I know of two very original 4speed Chargers. One a 69 and one 70. Both are dark green and no rust and possibly original paint. Well over a year ago, he wanted $70,000 for each one. Not sure if he still has them or even if I could find his contact information.

I saw a decent 70 Charger R/T 440 4 speed car on Boston Craigslist for 25K all the metal work is done.

Looks like R/T Chargers prices are escalating. Certainly more separation from their Plymouth cousins RoadRunner/GTX. All muscle car era machines have accelerated prices. I thought this Covid economy would slow the trend. It appears to have the opposite effect. It appears the more society changes? The more folks want a connection to the past? Interesting behavioral pattern.

Last edited:
Looks like R/T Chargers prices are escalating. Certainly more separation from their Plymouth cousins RoadRunner/GTX.

I feel like classic car prices are escalating in general.
One should think they would go down instead given the current situation.

But do they really sell at those prices? I guess not.
But i haven't checked auction prices since i bought my car earlier this year. :)

A friend of mine who is not very web savvy has asked me to look for a '67 Chevelle for him. Good God. Even a decent Malibu are going for $25k+. SS? Add $15k to that price. And that's just for a nice driver quality. (A 3 on a scale 0-5.) And not top of the line performance package.

I feel like classic car prices are escalating in general.
One should think they would go down instead given the current situation.

But do they really sell at those prices? I guess not.
But i haven't checked auction prices since i bought my car earlier this year. :)

The Current 2nd Gen Charger price 'appreciation'(and Yes they are Selling)..... is merely the future Dollar values themselves being depreciated....
given,
the literally Trillions $$ being printed out of thin air today means inevitably the "asset' purchased in Today's "Dollars" are bound to hold far greater value into the future than holding those same Dollars into the future.

Think about it this way....
So-called Money devoid of any 'interest'... or monetary 'premium' for holding it over time as a store of wealth into the future..... really isn't "money' anymore ? and no better than a "coupon" for immediate redemption towards any current asset in real time.
I mean WHAT is the point holding current "Money" into the future with NO premium for doing so..... when we know everything/assets will cost substantial more in the future ?

And for any Seller's of a 2nd Gen Charger ?
ask yourself.....
WTF good is even more money sitting in a Bank at NO... or soon to be NEGATIVE interest where you get charged a fee for depositing that money ?

Auto Transport Service
Back