• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck did they do to this Challenger?

SteveSS

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I told you a little about meeting a guy at the Rock and Rumble who was a previous owner of our 1971 Challenger. When we got it it was a 318 manual 3-speed, in primer with a purplish velour interior. Now it's a Sublime Green 408 stroker with a white vinyl interior. My son told me he recognized the dash cap they put on. They checked the VIN and it's the same car. It didn't have these suspension mods or wheels when we got it. I know there was a least one owner between them and us.

What kind of mods do you see in this old picture? And then it's how it looks now.

B9DB451E-CA4F-4913-B6D0-D1334FBD2223.JPG
orig.jpg

The old version looks way better! Jacked up, keystones, maybe ladder bars. Built by the owner to reflect him, not jsut another cookie cutter off the line car. Now that’s what it looks like, he could at least put keystones back on

Speaking of cookie cutters isn't that what everyone was doing back then?

People made their muscle cars their own, individual identities. The Challenger looks great either way. Chapters in the life of a 50 plus year old Mopar! I did my 71 Challenger convertible my way. 318 cars were meant to be modified, no where to go but up! Mine got a 71 383 Magnum engine and some Challenger T/A mods.

20221015_164702.jpg

20200613_171929.jpg

Last edited:
The old version looks way better! Jacked up, keystones, maybe ladder bars. Built by the owner to reflect him, not jsut another cookie cutter off the line car. Now that’s what it looks like, he could at least put keystones back on
Speaking of cookie cutters isn't that what everyone was doing back then?
Shouldn't it be  you telling cheapsunglasses how it was back then ? :lol:

I was too young to know how they were achieving this almost 4x4 look. I just saw it. I knew about air shocks and giant rear tires and wheels but not how they were doing the front suspension. I still don't. I see the giant ladder bars but they were certainly gone when we got it.

Did they just crank the heck out of the torsion bars? I thought you guys would see things I didn't. The one thing we have been happy with is the BluePrint Engines 408 stroker. I went in with some friends and bought 3 at the same time therefore getting a better deal. Ours is the iron-headed one with 375 hp. The aluminum headed one makes 465. i suspect we will upgrade someday.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back