• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the smaller starter I can get for a 400?

Triple Black 73

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
I bought a set of Hedman Street Headers 78030 for my 400. Now I have concerns about clearing the starter. So, what's the smaller starter I can buy that still spin the engine over quickly?

I bought a set of Hedman Street Headers 78030 for my 400. Now I have concerns about clearing the starter. So, what's the smaller starter I can buy that still spin the engine over quickly?
I believe the header has to be installed before the starter can be put in. No matter what size starter you use.

I think the opposite. Depends on the motor but with many of the big blocks you have to loosen or keep the driver side header off - possibly loosen the motor mount and lift the motor a little. Then install a hi tourque mini starter from 440 Source. It's not simple - but once you get it down you're good. Just trying to save you some steps. Been there done that.

The engine and K-frame are out of the car. The engine bay is also is bare. We're planning on fitting the headers to the engine, then the engine to the k-frame, then lowering the car onto the K-frame.

I recently tried a mini starter on a 383 with those exact 78030 headers. Don't try it. You will need to pound the tubes flat to make it fit. Flange was angled about 1/8 inch away from the head at the bottom.

I've got a 440 with tight fitting headers regarding the starter. Tried a couple with no success. Then I found a nice mini at 440 Source for $120. It's a high torque mini and turns the engine over quickly. It fits in the tight space I have to work with.

Triple black.. I used the same mini starter in a 400 build recently and perfect fit. I used long tube headers but not the headman you mentioned. But the headers fit in but had to go slow and think about things. They did fit around that mini starter with good amount of room. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back