• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What tools have proved to be invaluable to you?

SteveSS

Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
I don't mean your socket set or end wrenches. I mean some tools that you found later in life that you would recommend all of us to get.

Milwaulkee M12 inflator. Threads onto the schrader valve. No levers like the old school air pumps. Set your pressure and walk away. Stops automatically so you don’t have to stay kneeled over the entire time on long tire fills. The simpler of tools in my shop but very convenient.
1666908058617.jpeg

Wobble end socket extension - allows for off-center tightening and has saved my butt many times in tight access spaces. That and my tool roll bag organizer - WAY easier to access tools on the road with less digging. I got the Titan.
1666908469474.png
1666908625368.png

vacuum oil/fuel extractor
cordless grinder/cutoff
air powered mini hacksaw
electric grease gun

Bridgeport mill
Tig welder
Cordless ratchets
Plasma cutter
The list could get long......

Hammers and pry bars. Bigger is often better. :)

I once had to pull out axles on a 9 inch rear (my brother's truck that failed while I was borrowing it). Couldn't get the axle to budge. I built a slide hammer at work with a 10 pound weight, slammed it over and over and still no results. Went back to work and made a 70 pound slide with handles. It took two pulls to get the axle out with that.
Over forty years later, I still have that slide.

Quality tubing and flare bending tools, for 45* and AN. I got Eastwoods kit, and I have made some OEM looking brake lines, fuel lines, oil lines, etc.

A/c crimping tools, gauge, and vacuum pump. I have done 3 universal installs, and the 3rd one was essentially free as the tools were paid off in savings over having someone else make the custom lines, by the second job.

A welder and a cutting torch.....

Spent a good deal of my life making a living with just those two things.

Patience!!! Slow & steady saves knuckles, bolts, screws, tools and a paint job imo.

A hard head! Seriously just about all the tools I own! My engine lathe and milling machine have been great along with my welding machine and cutting rig. The sheet metal brake and shear have been pretty handy too.

Harbor Freight engine hoist. Haven’t needed it on the car but paid for itself removing and installing a new outboard motor on the old Whaler

912E30D1-B0F4-47A0-8F66-CAE163819A07.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back