• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of electrical tape was used for the late 60s cars?

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have specifics on the original type electrical tape used on late 60s automobiles?
Thanks for any help in this area...

I know some used cloth tape probably not mopar and some used regular tape. But I would just buy some quality 3M super 33 and call it a day.

Scotch 33-Plus is great if there is not too much heat surrounding the wiring ....but if it does get hot, the adhesive will migrate out and attract any loose debris.

You could use the Non-adhesive tape (the like s of YearOne stock it) - as it it easily removed for alterations, but will hold the loom nicely if applied correctly.

Or, for an older car loom, you could use the older technique or lacing the loom, without using tapes. Similar to older aircraft looms. :)

cloth, not plastic.
Look up vintage cloth electrical tape on ebay. A few guys sell the correct stuff.

I have a roll of that cloth tape as well, but it never seems to stick very well.

I like plastic wiring harness covers and use small tie rap's. Have not had that much luck with tape over the year's due to the hot weather here in Fl. Just my Two cent's.

Friction tape would be it if it’s cloth if not there’s actual harness tape that’s plastic. I have NOS mopar harness tape that’s cloth and it’s nothing more than 3m
friction tape.

Last edited:
Guess 3M made the tape for Chrysler, back in the day...

When in need of tape, any kind, I get vintage, made in USA tape. No telling where todays stuff is made, including 3M.

I actually had a roll of asbestos friction tape from the 60s. Used it for the starter wiring.

My '68s original harnesses were wrapped in a vinyl non-adhesive tape in the engine bay, cloth under the dash. St. Louis built car.
I've learned my lesson using anything sticky under the hood... I used a non adhesive tape when I re-did my engine wiring.

Last edited:
Well,
Thank you all for your inputs..
Seems we all have learned something here.
Good advice as usual, thanks again!
I actually have 2 rolls of the cloth tape. I'll sell one roll.

I will purchase one from you Aron!

Again, thank you everyone for support!

Auto Transport Service
Back