• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What ultra sonic boiling fluid do y'all like for carbs....

Here is the cleaner I purchased. It's a Creworks, 30L, XZ 100. While there seems to many brands out there to choose from, it seems to me the two main choices one needs to make are what size do I want and do you want one with manual controls or digital touchpad controls. With my luck with digital pads, I chose manual control. I got this cleaner fluid cause it seemed to address what I think I need for carbs, but it costs over $40 bucks. The guys posted here some good cleaners costing a fourth of what this one was. And also look at the size I got and you see a gallon will not be enough. As you can see, plenty of room for a whole carb and could prolly do two carbs disassembled.

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Here is the cleaner I purchased. It's a Creworks, 30L, XZ 100. While there seems to many brands out there to choose from, it seems to me the two main choices one needs to make are what size do I want and do you want one with manual controls or digital touchpad controls. With my luck with digital pads, I chose manual control. I got this cleaner fluid cause it seemed to address what I think I need for carbs, but it costs over $40 bucks. The guys posted here some good cleaners costing a fourth of what this one was. And also look at the size I got and you see a gallon will not be enough. As you can see, plenty of room for a whole carb and could prolly do two carbs disassembled.

View attachment 1563931

View attachment 1563932

View attachment 1563933
That size would be great for cleaning before disassembly. I didn't see this brand, but you are right about manual controls vs electronic.

Well any fluid with an acidic content will dull the shine. Lemon juice in dish washing deterrent is a grease cutter but acidic. Dry Cleaner uses a chemical can't spell it, it's called "Perk" for short. Maybe buy a gallon or two (size of your cleaner) of that and ask detergent (soap) 16oz. should be more than enough. Ask them the ratio of detergent to Perk, your might want a little more detergent because of dirtier parts. Perk name is Perchoroethylene.
"PERK" is Perchloroethylene. Its used in vapor degreasing tanks and is reputed to be a carcinogenic compound. It's a chlorinated hydro carbon and can be absorbed thru the skin.....dangerous stuff....be extremely careful using it.
BOB RENTON

This stuff (CRC Brakleen ) is almost pure perchloroethylene, I always have a gallon of it on hand. Works great in those pump up sprayers too. However I use it cold, heating it up would release even more vapors.
Amazon product ASIN B000CIPUU0

"PERK" is Perchloroethylene. Its used in vapor degreasing tanks and is reputed to be a carcinogenic compound. It's a chlorinated hydro carbon and can be absorbed thru the skin.....dangerous stuff....be extremely careful using it.
BOB RENTON
put it in a zip lock bag so fumes aren't getting airborne. The ultrasonic works through plastic

put it in a zip lock bag so fumes aren't getting airborne. The ultrasonic works through plastic
Yes.....but won't the perc will dissolve the zip lock bag? Perc is also called Tetrachloroethylene, also known under the systematic name tetrachloroethene, or perchloroethylene, and abbreviations such as "perc" (or "PERC"), and "PCE", is a chlorocarbon with the formula Cl2C=CCl2. It is a colorless liquid widely used for dry cleaning of fabrics, hence it is sometimes called "dry-cleaning fluid". It also has its uses as an effective automotive brake cleaner. It has a mild sweet odor, similar to the smell of chloroform, detectable by most people at a concentration of 1 part per million (1 ppm).
It is also used to degrease metal parts in the automotive and other metalworking industries, usually as a mixture with other chlorocarbons. It appears in a few consumer products including paint strippers, aerosol preparations and spot removers.
Just be aware and use caution when applying the material.
BOB RENTON

with so many options, Perk sounds too dangerous for my purposes and I use Muriatic Acid and Lye. Two things that command respect

with so many options, Perk sounds too dangerous for my purposes and I use Muriatic Acid and Lye. Two things that command respect
Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid or spirits of salt, is an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride (HCl). It is a colorless solution with a distinctive pungent smell. It is classified as a strong acid. Also very dangerous....
Lye is Sodium hydroxide, also known as lye and caustic soda, is an inorganic compound with the formula NaOH. Also very dangerous.
Both compounds will dissolve skin and can cause severe eye damage. Rubber gloves, Splash Goggles and full face shields should be used when working with these compounds.
I use to run a maintenance department for a company that made these chemicals and PPE was required. Just be careful.....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Guys, finally got an ultra sonic cleaner on the way here, now , for the fluid choice. I opted for one with a heating element to be used basically for carbs. Been doing a few Edelbrock carbs of late and wondering if there is a cleaner that can restore that shiny , bright look that new Edelbrocks come with. If not, sure don't want anything too strong that dulls that finish even more. What is your choice of what to use and what NOT to use...thanks..

View attachment 1563931

View attachment 1563932

View attachment 1563933
I use Amazon product ASIN B007F19O8G you can also get it from dollar general, it does an amazing job od parts. mix it 50/50 with water. don't leave a carb in for much longer than 15 minutes it can turn them dark. My sonic cleaner has a heater, just warm the solution up and you will not believe the results. I tried a bunch of solutions. LA totally awesome is best.

Yes.....but won't the perc will dissolve the zip lock bag? Perc is also called Tetrachloroethylene, also known under the systematic name tetrachloroethene, or perchloroethylene, and abbreviations such as "perc" (or "PERC"), and "PCE", is a chlorocarbon with the formula Cl2C=CCl2. It is a colorless liquid widely used for dry cleaning of fabrics, hence it is sometimes called "dry-cleaning fluid". It also has its uses as an effective automotive brake cleaner. It has a mild sweet odor, similar to the smell of chloroform, detectable by most people at a concentration of 1 part per million (1 ppm).
It is also used to degrease metal parts in the automotive and other metalworking industries, usually as a mixture with other chlorocarbons. It appears in a few consumer products including paint strippers, aerosol preparations and spot removers.
Just be aware and use caution when applying the material.
BOB RENTON
chloroform.jpg

Bandit67’s thread prompted me to get off dead center and get a cleaner - I went with the Creworks too after a bit of research but decided I could get by with a 15L model. I have an old AVS hanging on the wall that I decided to use for a test subject. Results look good. It’s not going to produce a fresh out of the restoration shop appearance but it seems to do good job of get the deposits off.

Before:

IMG_1082.jpeg
IMG_1088.jpeg

After:

IMG_1828.jpeg
IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

I’ll try to de-rust some of the metal parts and treat them with Boeshield or RPM and with a new kit hopefully it will be good to go.

IMG_1824.jpeg

We use Hopp's Number 9. We do a ton of motorcycle carb work and this stuff works great on carb bodies and brass components.

Last edited:
Some of the you tube motorcycles carb guys also do soda blasting on bike carbs and that seems to really make them clean up. I just don't know how far one could go doing some of that on a car carb. Could you get soda into some of the small circuit tubes and canals that the cleaner/cooker might miss cleaning out? Anybody do that?

If it is bicarbonate of soda, wouldn't that dissolve and diffuse in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Some of the you tube motorcycles carb guys also do soda blasting on bike carbs and that seems to really make them clean up. I just don't know how far one could go doing some of that on a car carb. Could you get soda into some of the small circuit tubes and canals that the cleaner/cooker might miss cleaning out? Anybody do that?
I went down a rabbit hole on Youtube about home built vapor blasting/honing cabinets made from basic $100 HF blast cabinets and some basic off-the-shelf parts...the results are pretty damn impressive!

My machine is about 2' x 18".....maybe 8" deep. My first one worked good but it was too small .

I have used Purple Power, Simple Green, Jungle Jack, vinegar, Dawn, etc.

They all have their good points.

Auto Transport Service
Back