• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What welder should I buy ?

What welder should I buy?

• Tig

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Mig

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Stick - Arc

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting myself a small home edition welding pack. Trouble is I'm not sure really which one I should be looking for.

Do I go Tig, Mig or Stick.....? I don't plan to build trailers or heavy machinery. Just smaller jobs that cost me a few hundred bucks each time I ask someone else to help me out.

Anyone got decent info as to what I should be looking for? I have a local Tool Shop who can sell me what I want, but their advice may be biased slightly.

I don't have aspirations of becoming a Union Welder, so nobody is going to lose their job over my purchase. :p

Thanks in advance....or as the youngins say.... TIA. :D

I was thinking about getting myself a small home edition welding pack. Trouble is I'm not sure really which one I should be looking for.

Do I go Tig, Mig or Stick.....? I don't plan to build trailers or heavy machinery. Just smaller jobs that cost me a few hundred bucks each time I ask someone else to help me out.

Anyone got decent info as to what I should be looking for? I have a local Tool Shop who can sell me what I want, but their advice may be biased slightly.

I don't have aspirations of becoming a Union Welder, so nobody is going to lose their job over my purchase. :p

Thanks in advance....or as the youngins say.... TIA. :D
I bought the top of the line Harbor Freight welder and it does all three types. The cost was about $1,200, but I wanted to be able to weld aluminum and stainless steel if necessary.

steve from staten island ?

Ya killing me...... :rofl:

20191102_170501.jpg

figured tig would be the popular answer........ all I know how to do is mig........ and you ain't a welder unless you can weld rust, paint and old seam sealer :drama:

Just use JB Weld.

Tig is the cleanest and the most versatile, to a point. If you're going to weld anything 1/4 inch and up I would want a mig.

A MIG unit using 75/25 gas mix is the best all around use welder there is in a shop for welding ferrous metals.

TIG requires a lot of preparation and finesse to use and master. Then if you want to weld aluminum you need a unit that has AC too.

Tom

Tig is really nice, but if you lack any kind of dual hand coordination, stick with Mig cause you’ll be grinding the tungsten more often than you’re welding. Lincoln make a pretty decent 140 amp Mig welder. Use a gas with Mig welding, flux core is GARBAGE!! With a 140 amp welder, you will be able to weld up to 3/16 (I’m not gonna bother looking up the metric equivalent) but the duty cycle will be low. You’ll weld for a couple minutes then let the machine rest for so long and then get back to it. It’s a 120 volt machine, which means you can take it wherever ya need damn near and get some welding done.

I have a Lincoln SP100 120 volt mig and a Lincoln PowerMig 180C 240 volt mig welder. I haven't used either one in 3 years. My Lincoln Precision Tig 225 gets all the action now.

I started forcing myself to use the Tig to get better at Tig and now I just like it. Doesn't mean that mig does not have a place in my shop, but for now its been all Tig.

X2 on the argon ....... my lincoln 200 power mig seems to be able to go non stop

Tig is the cleanest and the most versatile, to a point. If you're going to weld anything 1/4 inch and up I would want a mig.
Up to and around 1/4" is where I would be getting the most use. :thumbsup:

you will be able to weld up to 3/16 (I’m not gonna bother looking up the metric equivalent)
Cool....I am very conversant with conversions in my head. 3/16" is near enough to 5mm. :thumbsup:

Have a mig welder I bought just to do the car sheet metal. Use argon with that. Also bought a tig welder and it is like brazing of a sort also a mix of argon and don't remember what percent the other gas is. Have A Lincon buzz box have had for years for stick but my tig will also weld with stick and that inverter really burn a rod. I weld mostly 1/4-inch metal is the thickest. Got my Tig off the inter web. But so far so good. Not a brand name like Lincon or Miller. Make sure you have a good automatic darkening helmet. Have fun.

Lincoln SP 170T here. 240v
A good tig is probably 2-3 x as much?

Auto Transport Service
Back