• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Will It Run?

Wow..... I’m shocked.
My junk is a 10.75:1 451 with stealth heads, an RPM intake, A 252* flat tappet cam, Weighs in at 3870; it typically runs 11.2X at 118+.
I would have guessed that car to be somewhere in the mid 10’s and over 120 mph easily.

clearly it isn’t leaving very effectively. 1.66 in 60 isn’t where it should be, and 116 MPH seems low for a mill with Victor heads and a cross ram as well.

Good luck sorting it out. I think it’ll be faster than you’re hoping for.

I agree but I remember your car was not as fast as it is now when you were first racing it. I have seen your et drop a good bit over the last few years. If I remember correct you were running low 12's at first and then you started fine tuning it and working that et down to where it is today. And I dont mean any offense at all as you have done a great job whittling your et down to where it is now. Are your stealth heads ported any. Ron

That’s a valid point, Ron. I have whittled away at it quite a bit and with good effect. Yes, my stealth heads have been prepped by MCH; I still doubt they flow what a set of victors will.
I certainly didn’t mean any offense with my comments. When I reread them now, I see where they could be taken with malice. My intent was to say that the OP’s combo likely has a lot in it, and should eventually really rip!

I took no offense, I heard what you were saying. I have another trip to the track scheduled for this weekend. I expect to see some low 11's, an 11.0 would be fantastic!!!!

That’s a valid point, Ron. I have whittled away at it quite a bit and with good effect. Yes, my stealth heads have been prepped by MCH; I still doubt they flow what a set of victors will.
I certainly didn’t mean any offense with my comments. When I reread them now, I see where they could be taken with malice. My intent was to say that the OP’s combo likely has a lot in it, and should eventually really rip!

And I meant no offense to you or the OP. You have done awesome with your car and I wish the OP on here the best of luck working his et downs over time. Ron

Made it back out to the track for another day of testing yesterday. Weather was good with temps in the low 60's. Set a new personal best. Mostly, my goal was to get more comfortable with it. I have only been down the track with it about 5 times prior to yesterday. Best time of the day:

1.614 60'
7.255 1/8
94.39 mph
11.465 1/4
116.09 Mph

I am happy with that. The big change from the last outing was a removal of the MSD Digital 7 box, and coil, and the install of an MSD 6AL, master blaster coil, and pro billet distributor. I think there is still plenty in it, I am struggling a little with the launch and having a hard time paying attention to my shift light, and I really need to get a camera on my gauges to see what my AFR is down the track to dial in the carbs a little more.

I am trying to shift at 6,500 rpm and go through the traps at about 7,000.

I would shift it shorter than that. When i was young, i loved the rpm my small block 57 chevy would turn. I was shifting a hydraulic lifter 350 at 7500. Looking back in hindsight, im sure there was probably a half second or more in it, if i had shifted at 6500.
My 440 ran about the same as your best, and each time i lowered the shift point, it either ran the same, or actually picked up. I would try to use the stroker torque more than 7000 rpm.
Practice, practice, practice! It WILL pick up!

Just an observation from personal experience....
I replaced a welded-up tm7 with an 850 dp on an iron maxwedge head engine, with a crossram and two 750 competition carters...... picked up nothing! I would bet that a super victor with a dominator would be easier to tune, and faster, on your car. Granted , the crossram is MUCH cooler looking!
Also, if your converter is only stalling 3000 behind a victor head 512, it is way,WAY, too tight. If your car hooks, its probably making 250 more hp at 5000 than 3000. Think it might leave harder?

I am pretty sure the car would run better with a different carb/intake set up, but what is cooler than a crossram with dual quads on it???? Since this isn't a max effort all out race car, I will keep the crossram. I do see a different converter on it in the near future though.

Good start. Shift earlier itll go quicker. Start at 6000 and go down until it slows down.
Doug

Anyone think it has too much gear? 7000RPM in the lights with a stroker?

Will it hit 7000 through the traps? I don't know the exact RPM mine does in the lights (126 MPH I think, 430 gear, 29.5 in high tires) but I have the limiter set at 6500 and I never hit it in the lights. I have hit it by missing my shift. To be honest, though, I've only made about 3 quarter mile passes with this combination.
Generally I just do 1/8 mile brackets.....

How tall are those drag radials?

Anyone think it has too much gear? 7000RPM in the lights with a stroker?

I run a mild 493 thats hit 10.70's through the pipes and I shift about 6200 and trap around 6400. 4.30's with a Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slick. I actually dont use the tach to shift as I shift when it feels right by how the eng is pulling and it just happens to be about 6200 and when I look at the tach in the traps its about 6400 and it feels peaked. I think I may go faster with a bit less gear. Ron

Update on my progress...

A couple runs at the track last weekend, best run of the weekend:

60' 1.607
330 4.615
1/8 7.150 @ 96.65
1000 9.361
1/4 11.261 @ 116.93

Only change for this run was locking out timing at 35*. I have confirmed that the rear end is a 4.88. I am trapping right at 6800rpm. I'm trying to lower shift points, but everything in the car is still happening so fast for me that getting it right each time is still a challenge.

Nice meeting you at the track. Car looks great. Guess my 11.20@118 was pretty close.
Doug

Progress!!! Made it out to a test and tune night on Thursday. Air was great. A new personal best. No changes to the tune up other than airing up the front tires to 35psi. Rears were still at 18psi. 10's are getting close!!!!

60' 1.537
330' 4.538
1/8 7.069
mph 96.42
1000' 9.287
1/4 11.189
mph 117.96

another new best :thumbsup:

Progress!!! Made it out to a test and tune night on Thursday. Air was great. A new personal best. No changes to the tune up other than airing up the front tires to 35psi. Rears were still at 18psi. 10's are getting close!!!!

60' 1.537
330' 4.538
1/8 7.069
mph 96.42
1000' 9.287
1/4 11.189
mph 117.96

Didn’t take you long to get things headed in the right direction! Nice work thus far.

Auto Transport Service
Back