• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would you do

fnkmopars

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
i have a 67 belvedere II .318 2bbl auto.car is a survivor has 52000 miles.i'm the third owner.car has original paint and no rust.thinking about putting a 340 or a big block in it and a glass 6 pack hood.is this a good idea or should i sell it and get a car that is not original.

i have a 67 belvedere II .318 2bbl auto.car is a survivor has 52000 miles.i'm the third owner.car has original paint and no rust.thinking about putting a 340 or a big block in it and a glass 6 pack hood.is this a good idea or should i sell it and get a car that is not original.

It's not a rare care or anything, so I would do whatever I wanted to do to it. I'm not really a numbers guy or anything. I would go big block for sure.

X3 on the big block.....cubes mean more than those numbers

I may not be the right person to ask about this, I consider myself a novice and a young buck in this hobby compared to some of the others that were around when these cars were created and know alot more about them than me.
When I bought my car, it was a 68 Coronet with a 318 and 25,000 original miles, no rust, and all the paperwork. Everything original was still on the car, other than the air cleaner. I changed out the intake, carb, and got an air cleaner. Then went the valve covers, exhaust manifolds, points and condenser. I also replaced the front drums with discs and the original steering wheel with a much smaller diameter one.

While I was doing this, I kept doubting myself and asking should I be doing this, or should I leave it original. I met a friend that is a Mopar enthusiast and was around when these cars were made. He gave me the advice of : It's your car, do what you want with it. And I did. I kept all the original stuff in case somebody ever ended up with the car and wanted to restore it back to its original condition.

The other piece of advice I was given by him and another friend who is a Camaro enthusiast was : all the stuff I was doing is making the car more driveable and more fun to drive, and this is the same stuff hotrodders back in '68 would be doing if they had the car and the aftermarket there is now.

Whether all this is true, or not, I don't know. I think it is all a matter of opinion. But I don't regret anything I did, cause I'm happy with my car. I say do what you want with it, as long as you're going to be happy with the outcome.

Galen will say "They're only original once." True words. And (to some anyway) no matter what the car is, to THEM it would be worth more in it's original, unaltered condition.

However, I think the majority of enthusiasts are like Boomhauer. It's YOUR car. Make yourself happy. And if you can't make yourself alter such a time capsule, then sell it, and get one that isn't and have fun.

For me it's nice to see an original undisturbed older car - no matter what the make or model. If it's really clean I'd say leave it alone (short of maintenance) and drive it. Find one that's had a harder life and "save" it buy installing a 440 or something!! This is what I'm doing to my slightly rough 66 361 Belvedere.

last thing you want is a chevy blowing the doors of your classic mopar. if you want to keep original appearance,stroke it.

BIG BLOCKS are good. There is no replacement for displacement is real. If you are concerned about being original save the original parts and replace them with what you want to have fun. You can always put it back to stock when you want to. A 500 incher with 9.7 to 10.0 compression with a few goodies and you will have a Torque monster pump gas car you can drive.

X7, But save EVERYTHING! Really, We are only talking about bolt-ons here! It can all be undone.

Small or Big Block?

They both get 5 mpg go for the most cubic inches your car weighs like 6000 pounds!! P.S. I think your taillight are worth about $1000.00 a piece..

Build yourself a Big block or Hemi car and enjoy it. Save all your old part in case you want to put it back to stock. Let the Forum know how you make out, Good luck.

i'm going to put it for sale in two weeks and if it does not sale the 440 i have will go in it and mini tubbed for bigger tires .want to drive to the track and run7.50 in the 1/8

Have to chime in. In my opinion, unmolested original cars are getting to be worth more as is. 318 and all.One can put a big engine in any car and get your adrenaline rush. Save the survivors and enjoy it. Im getting older and am done with the 440 stuff, except for one original GTX. Nothing wrong with a stock 383 2 bl even for getting around. Also the color combo rules for how unique a stock car can be. Why would you mess up a silver with black Bel 2 for instance? I dont know your car details, but I suggest you think hard, too many modifications actually loose value in a car. I follow ebay sales, the 440 modified non original cars go for dirt cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back