• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What yall think? 63cc edelbrock heads....

SAM67

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Bought a set of used edelbrock 84 cc heads. Turns out the are cut up a lot more than what the seller said. Cc'd the and come out 63cc was planning to use these on a 0 decked flat Top 383 with a crower 574/585 265/267@050 solid liftcam. Using regular blue felpros wich are around .040 thick? Haven't checked any clearances or even put the motor back together yet. Pretty sure Ima need shorter pushrods. What do yall think??? And carburetor suggestions running 486 gear 5000 converter 3300lb car

How much are they cut? If you are just worried about the pushrods, I know guys cut up head gaskets and make shims (ford head gaskets if that makes sense)... Thats the easy part, I would be worried about your final compression ratio, if you didnt buy the pistons yet then it is no problem just buy the pistons that get you where you want to be with your chamber and a std head gasket...

How much are they cut? If you are just worried about the pushrods, I know guys cut up head gaskets and make shims (ford head gaskets if that makes sense)... Thats the easy part, I would be worried about your final compression ratio, if you didnt buy the pistons yet then it is no problem just buy the pistons that get you where you want to be with your chamber and a std head gasket...

The more compression the better. For me and it's a short block a buddy gave me he ran for years before switching to striker motor. It's got kiethblack flat tops. I'm not sure how much has been cut I'm not sure how much needs to be cut or angle milled to achieve the ccs these have... I'm just seeing if anybody ever ran a head with similar cc size

Just install the head and put puddy on piston tops to check clearance, if any binding might need to get a thick he'd gasket. Where you planning on running a stock one? Or a cosmetic one? They have different thicknesses they can make. Install head without gasket to see how much clearance you have, just measure the length push rod you need, 440 source has two different length of go with some customs by a company

also have to worry about valve clearance... approaching 600 lift, no piston reliefs...

If your building it yourself, bolt it up and spin her around, see what happens..

I did a sbc with all kinds of parts i had laying around, so 56cc heads, some flat tops, a 30 over block, 550 cam, etc etc etc I literally bought gaskets and bearings, I had everything else...
Turned out the compression was like 13 to one, so it wouldnt run on pump gas, granted when we ran it on the cam2 alk, it ran great and was super powerful, the motor was useless, not a strong enough bottom to race, and not worth the cost of fuel on the street...

also have to worry about valve clearance... approaching 600 lift, no piston reliefs...

If your building it yourself, bolt it up and spin her around, see what happens..

I did a sbc with all kinds of parts i had laying around, so 56cc heads, some flat tops, a 30 over block, 550 cam, etc etc etc I literally bought gaskets and bearings, I had everything else...
Turned out the compression was like 13 to one, so it wouldnt run on pump gas, granted when we ran it on the cam2 alk, it ran great and was super powerful, the motor was useless, not a strong enough bottom to race, and not worth the cost of fuel on the street...

Kinda the same thing I'm doing here. The pistons have valve reliefs, the guy that had the bottom end ran closed chamber steel heads and a 670 crane roller and the car ran 11.20s at 118 ish I think In a 65 coronet same weight as my belvedere ... I'm just trying to throw a decent bracket car together on a budget

- - - Updated - - -

Just install the head and put puddy on piston tops to check clearance, if any binding might need to get a thick he'd gasket. Where you planning on running a stock one? Or a cosmetic one? They have different thicknesses they can make. Install head without gasket to see how much clearance you have, just measure the length push rod you need, 440 source has two different length of go with some customs by a company

The stock ones if they will work.. Being that's what came in the gasket kit. Lol

SO put it together with the stock gasket, and check for interference, if she spins and you clear with out tagging valves you should be good..

those heads have had .100" cut off them; if your 63cc number is right.

Bought a set of used edelbrock 84 cc heads. Turns out the are cut up a lot more than what the seller said. Cc'd the and come out 63cc was planning to use these on a 0 decked flat Top 383 with a crower 574/585 265/267@050 solid liftcam. Using regular blue felpros wich are around .040 thick? Haven't checked any clearances or even put the motor back together yet. Pretty sure Ima need shorter pushrods. What do yall think??? And carburetor suggestions running 486 gear 5000 converter 3300lb car

IMO with flat tops you'll definitely need good gas as you're probably looking at around 13.0+ CR. Probably best to use an inverted dome piston around -.020 and .039 gaskets and then you should get away with 92 octane. The cam looks like it will take away a fair bit of cylinder pressure and the aluminum heads will soak up lots of heat. And yes to checking the pushrod length once you have it bolted together.

Also, don't forget to check the matching surfaces of the intake manifold. If that much (.100") was cut from the heads, the intake is going to need to be cut as well. I forget what the ratio is but can find it if you need it. Did you get the intake that was run on the motor?

.040x 4.400"" gasket, 63 cc head, no valve relief, 4.25 bore, 3.38 stroke=11.73-1, 11.0 with 6.5 cc valve reliefs. It'll run on 93 pump. mock up check piston to valve and pushrods and run it.
Doug

dvw beat me to it. Ran the numbers in my calculator but with .040 x 4.410 gasket and got 11.746:1... If the motor is +.030 then it would be 11.898:1

Auto Transport Service
Back