• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a Hemi B Body worth these days?

Burnsamatic

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to muscle cars. I have 3 Chevelles currently and a 2009 B5 blue Dodge Challenger Classic R/T.

I've always wanted a true Hemi car and the E body Hemis are out of reach. I'm currently looking at a '69 Charger R/T, numbers matching Hemi, Auto, black, black car. I would say it's a 2-, 3 + condition car.
The Mopars seem to be really unstable right now but I think the Hemi cars will always bring good money. I know they've come down a ton. Not sure if they've hit bottom yet and if they'll go up like they were before. I'm not looking to flip it but I don't want to take a bath if I have to sell either. I know pictures would help but that's not an option right now.
I'm open to Opinions.

Probably for the most part, less than 50% of what they were, at the peak of the market lately, but mostly overly inflated values, back in about 2006-2007... I've seen clean/decent quality cars go for $50k - $350k for a freshly restored well optioned rare car... it can be in the 7 figure range too... It really depends on rarity, what model/brand, what options, what condition, mileage, clone/tribute, whether they have all the proper documentation, Vin &/or Fender tag #'s or the lack of them, whether the car had some history, ex-racer famous person owned it or it's a Winged car, even color can effect the cost, or a seller bailing on a nearly finished project, because they ran out of money, death in the family, lost their job or what ever, can be had for a decent price sometimes too... The collector car muscle car market is all over the place, Resto-Mods are the big money deals now it seems or an unmolested true survivor car can be too.... Good luck with your quest... It's kind of a buyers market right now... To me it really depends on the individual situation & sellers circumstances too, some guys bought in the peak of the market & want the $$$ they invested, might not work out that way thou...

Yeah,
Sell the chevelles and you might get enough for the original date code Hemi engine.

Are you readty for "sticker shock" ?

Good luck, keep us posted.

PS:
Most importantly...
Thanks for joining the Forum and "Welcome aboard"

- - - Updated - - -

Richard,
That "Black" one from Canada is sure mean and nasty looking!
Do you know anything about that car?
"He" seems to be a motivated seller..

Welcome to the site! The bad news is you're trying to enter the market while it's getting bent and twisted like a pretzel. The bloom is definitely off the rose when it comes to all Mopars, Hemi cars included, and a lot of these cars are quietly coming back on to the market as owners try to unload what they have without causing a sell off. The challenge for you is that a lot of owners bought these cars when they were near, or at the top, of the market, and they're trying desperately to avoid what you mentioned... taking a both on resale. I'm seeing a lot of cars coming up for sale and staying there for long periods of time. I don't know what they are eventually selling for, but I'm sure it was no wheres near the original asking price.

A Hemi car will always bring more than a 440 car, and a 440 will bring more than a 383, and on down the line, but those prices don't really mean much. Investing in oil futures and precious metals are taking the place of investing in classic cars and keeping them up, and those markets haven't hit their peak yet, so I expect we've yet to see the collector car market bottom out yet either.

My suggestion is divide the asking price in half and start from there.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to muscle cars. I have 3 Chevelles currently and a 2009 B5 blue Dodge Challenger Classic R/T.

I've always wanted a true Hemi car and the E body Hemis are out of reach. I'm currently looking at a '69 Charger R/T, numbers matching Hemi, Auto, black, black car. I would say it's a 2-, 3 + condition car.
The Mopars seem to be really unstable right now but I think the Hemi cars will always bring good money. I know they've come down a ton. Not sure if they've hit bottom yet and if they'll go up like they were before. I'm not looking to flip it but I don't want to take a bath if I have to sell either. I know pictures would help but that's not an option right now.
I'm open to Opinions.

Oh yeah... welcome to FBBO

I'll be heading to the Chryslers at Carlisle show this weekend. Curious to see what the asking prices are there.

BTW my Chevelles are no slouches either. I have 2 '69 L78 4 speed cars and a '70 LS6 automatic, numbers matching with 2 build sheets.

I'll be heading to the Chryslers at Carlisle show this weekend. Curious to see what the asking prices are there.

BTW my Chevelles are no slouches either. I have 2 '69 L78 4 speed cars and a '70 LS6 automatic, numbers matching with 2 build sheets.

Sounds like great cars too... Good luck & I hope you have a fat wallet, then find what you want...LOL...

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see some photos of the Chevelle's, I'm not a typical hatter, I really like 'em... we all like car **** here

Yeah,
Sell the chevelles and you might get enough for the original date code Hemi engine.

Are you readty for "sticker shock" ?

Good luck, keep us posted.

PS:
Most importantly...
Thanks for joining the Forum and "Welcome aboard"

- - - Updated - - -

Richard,
That "Black" one from Canada is sure mean and nasty looking!
Do you know anything about that car?
"He" seems to be a motivated seller..

Thinkin the LS6 he has might buy more than a hemi engine,and properly tuned would leave the Hemi scatchin its hemi heads.lol

Ughmmm, bs!!!!

Why is your font so weird?

I disagree with your view, BUT I do respect it and understand why. Been a decades old Mopar fanboi for most my life, but I understand that there are varying levels of "loyalty" and love for the brand. I love '69 Mach's & nice 1g Camaro's almost as much as Mopars, they're not in the same league for me as a fine B or E-body. But that doesn't mean they weren't on my shopping list... ;)

The cheapest hemi car you can buy is a 66 Charger.

...........Oh, and I just so happen to have a real H code red 4 spd one for sale.

My dear wife had a Chevelle almost 40 years ago with I met her.
But I loved her anyway. She won't let me buy her another one.
I'm OK with that either way.
See, my philosophy is different. It is neither right or wrong. Just me.
I’m probably in the minority and it's not the opinion you are looking for.
I have bought my MOPARS because I like them.
The way look at, if I buy a MOPAR I'm not too concerned about the future value of the car. That goes whether it is a 3000-dollar car or a 300 thousand dollar one. I buy them for the appreciation of them.
I just don't want to get in it "over my head".
In other word, if my cars were worth nothing tomorrow, I could “afford” it and I would still have bought them. They mean something because of people.
It might be considered a hobby. I’m not sure if I need to make money on a hobby.
The laws of supply and demand are at work. Big money and business are involved in what used to be a hobby during a time of economic uncertainty.
Hence the “pretzel” market someone compared it to.
Don't I have a profound grasp of the obvious?:worry::worry::worry:

Last edited:
It isn't really economic uncertainty that's driving the market. Collector car prices started soaring after Black Monday back in Oct 87 when the mini stock market crash led a lot of investors to rethink where they kept their money. A lot of them jumped on collector cars, which drove prices up, which drove more and more people into the market. The problem, as they've all learned by now, is that you can't buy a high-end collector car, drop it in a safety-deposit box, and earn interest on it. Even if the car is 100% restored, the day after the resto is complete the car is beginning to age again, so you need to also buy a safe and climate-controlled storage area or accept the loss in value as your car gradually decays again.

This was an acceptable loss when these cars were growing in value 10-20% per year, but that ended about a decade ago when prices peaked and started coming back down. They would have dropped quicker but for two reasons: there was no real great investment to move your money to, and fear of taking a major loss. The first reason was corrected when gold started to skyrocket in price. You can buy gold and keep it in a safety deposit box, and a lot of investors started selling off their cars and converting the investment to gold. This is why I like watching the high-end auctions so much. It used to be every car coming across the block was straight from the resto shop, then as the market started collapsing you saw the number of fresh restos go down and the number of recent restos go up as investors quit paying crazy prices for restorations. Now we see more and more collections being sold, with fancy video segments produced to showcase the cars and the same BS story about how the owner is only selling the collection because they need room for more cars. :) No, they're selling off the collection because they know where the market is headed and they won't be buying many more cars. This is also what's driving the increase in the resto-mod and "barn find" areas of the market. The market is saturated with restored cars being sold off, and no one is paying crazy money for shops to restore cars to original anymore, so this is the new way to make money.

I'm no stranger to Mopars as I had a '70 Challenger R/T 440 magnum in high school. My Dad also bought a '69 Charger brand new off the showroom floor. The only reason I moved over to Chevy is because you can restore a Chevelle for a 1/3 of what it takes to restore a Challenger. Plus the parts are more widely available.

I would never consider restoring a Mopar. It has to already be done.

Bruzilla,
You do a good job of explaining the historical trend of “investment” cars and auctions over the last 20 plus years. Something I’m not aware of or have followed to that extent.
I think that it illustrates my point in that when “investing”becomes the driver of the “hobby” , cars are then bought and sold for reasons other than the appreciation of the cars and what they represent to the owner.
Certainly to most people this is a time of economic uncertainty and investments have to be closely evaluated. Although I am aware that there are a few people to which money is not a consideration.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm open to Opinions.
There is a black 68 hemi charger at Carlisle right now. 85k.

The Charger that I was looking at was the black car in Canada. I came to an agreement with the seller and that's the one I'm buying. I feel good about the deal.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Auto Transport Service
Back