• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats in your mobile tool box? B Body specific

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I'm putting together a B Body tool box for the trunk. Other than a 1/2 and 9/16, a few screw drivers, some duct tape, and pliers is there anything else I should carry? What about slime, or fix a flat?

Also, what is a good, effective fire extinguisher to carry in a car?

Thanks, and have a nice day, Bill

An ignition resistor, fuses, fuel filter, good flash light. I carry a tire plug kit and a can of fix a flat. A good fire extinguisher (2.5-5 pounds) and carry it in the interior where the driver can get to it in a hurry. I carry a tow strap and jumper cables. I have never needed them yet but I have help guys a the cruise in's that needed them.

I'm watching too - this is a good topic for all of us.

I have 2 Halon fire extinguishers for my 65 a 2.5 lb. inside an a 5 lb. in the trunk....as for tools it won't matter you will not have the one you need in a pinch.:lol:

Ballast resistor and ignition control box. can go bad without any warning. 5 minute fix.

An old squeeze catsup bottle of baking soda makes a fairly decent extinguisher.
The autoclub card can be a great thing to carry. Get it off the road to a safe place for you and it also.

This is some pretty cool stuff. Doesn't corrode or ruin anything like the ABC stuff does.

http://www.coldfiredirect.com/4-liter-cold-fire-extinguisher/

They make smaller ones good for the car.
Bro - what size of this extinguisher would you use for your car? Can you buy them on the website? I don't have one for my GTX and would be interested in the appropriate size especially if it is as you say non corrosive. I don't know much about these things but should probably have one for the car. Thx for any additional info you could provide. Appreciate your experience.

I ordered the 20oz extinguisher. Thanks for the tip!

as for tools it won't matter you will not have the one you need in a pinch.
You speak the truth there. I starting to think that a fire extinguisher and AAA card is really all you need nowadays. My Hagerty has flat bed coverage, but forgot how many miles it covers.

I ordered the 20oz extinguisher. Thanks for the tip!
Shipping was a bit steep; $17.95 for one, and $18.95 for two, so I bought two. I'll keep one in the car and one on the bench in the garage. For less than $100 I'll at least have some piece of mind. Thanks again for the recommendation!

I carry a roll of wire and elc tap plus what's already stated you wouldn't believe how often wire comes in handy to jump a lead or to tie something in place ,zip ties are good too!

Anything required to pull spark plugs, tighten /loosen headers or manifolds, pocket screwdriver, utility knife with extra blades, hack saw, hammer, pliers, crescent wrenches, shop towels, nitrile and work type gloves, can of brake cleaner and carb cleaner, some carb base gaskets plus bowl and metering block gaskets if you are running a holley, maybe header and collector gaskets, v-belts, a moving blanket in case you have to flop on the ground.

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

I'll second wire, and add test lead, with alligator clips on each end.
I've used that to jump a coil to hot and get home more than once or twice.

I don't leave the county in any car without at last a pair of channel-locks and a standard/phillips screwdriver.

In each car I have a cheap 3/8 socket set, the aforementioned wrenches plus an 11/16 which Mopar seems to use a lot of in hard to reach spots, a spare brain, voltage regulator, ballast, and a wire cutter/stripper, plus a clean and a dirty rag, a funnel, and a small bottle of hand cleaner, a work shirt and a 2 foot piece of cardboard. I'm adding a "free" HF test meter, and if I can find one free or cheap, a scissors jack- those are way better than bumper jacks, and I favor the ones with a lug nut sized operating handle, cause those 45* angled bumper jack handles suck, too..

For my newer cars, I also include a pocket knife style torx tool.

Did anyone say fuses?

B careful with fix-a-flat or other aerosol cans in the trunk or cabin in the hot states !

Auto Transport Service
Back