• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's this for? Oil line to manifold fitting.

mcmlvii

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I've got a '66 383 4-bbl and there is a rubber hose that goes from a fitting at the intake manifold mounting flange to a port at the back of the engine next to the oil pressure sender. Below are a few photos. The first is showing the rubber hose fastened to a fitting next to the oil sender (the hose goes over the ground wire and the white wire). The hose is crimped with a factory-type band.
IMG_0105.jpg

The second photo is where the hose connects to a fitting that is in place of an intake mounting bolt. You can see it under the vacuum line to the carb. This end of the hose is also fastened with the same type of crimp clamp.
IMG_0104.jpg

Here is a close-up of the fitting and clamp:
IMG_0104_sm.jpg

I'm stumped as to what the hose is for. At the moment it is cut in the middle and has a plastic vacuum hose type of fitting clamped into place. I'm presuming oil flows from the rear of the engine block and dumps into the manifold fitting (and back to the crankcase) but am baffled as to what it's purpose was. There may have been something plumbed in the middle of the hose at one time. Anyone seen this type of thing before?
Thanks
John

Jesus that's scary. Should smoke like a dragon if its actually an oil free flow. Cant see that being factory..

I'm assuming the manifold fitting just dumps the oil back into the engine block again. The fitting/oil isn't going into an actual intake runner. I wouldn't have thought it was a factory installation either but it looks it from outward appearances.

Pull the valve cover off and see where it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

May be a return line from a turbo. Who knows.

Early California PCV??? Just pulling stuff out of my......butt. ElifIknow....

Thanks for the replies guys. The front fitting is where an intake bolt would normally go, so the fitting is doing double duty as an oil fitting and an intake bolt. Someone had mentioned to me that the intake manifold bolt holes just 'daylight' into the interior of the head, so any oil running through this strange oil line just gets recycled to the engine sump.

pull it off and get rid of it...you will gain more oil pressure...

I'm betting it had one of them "toilet paper" auxiliary filters on there...

take it off...you got engine oil pressure in that hose..if it bursts...

That may be an early Breather as it may open up into the bell houseing aria ?
I wouldn't think it would be a oil Pressure point. Best to take the hose off and blow air throught it and see where it go's.

That may be an early Breather as it may open up into the bell houseing aria ?
I wouldn't think it would be a oil Pressure point. Best to take the hose off and blow air throught it and see where it go's.

yer kidding, right??....uh, no...it's not a "breather"...look closer..it's a big block....there are 2 oil pressure holes back there on top of block...

breathers were connected to valve covers, not oil pressure galleries

OK OK I was at the end of my beer run so I made a mistake. Or I just hit my head last nite ?!?!
Anyway after looking with a clear eye it looks to be a feed line for the upper end. Like rockers and such. I have never seen this other than heavy duty trucks .

pull it off and get rid of it...you will gain more oil pressure...

I'm betting it had one of them "toilet paper" auxiliary filters on there...

take it off...you got engine oil pressure in that hose..if it bursts...

You called it, I'm sure.
My Charger still had one installed when I brought it home a few months ago:

evy4u9u8.jpg

It picked up in the same place as the OP's, coming from a brass adaptor under the oil sender.

it dumped back into block through the left bolt hole for the fuel pump:

a4y4u6y2.jpg

First time rolls of toilet paper ever came(seriously, there were 2 in the trunk) as a "maintenance item" when I bought an old car....
Couldnt get that off the car fast enough. Hard to believe they ever thought running oil through **** tickets was a good idea....

Last edited:
Wow ! I use to see those on VW's but never a V8 ?!?!

Thanks again all. I'm chalking this one up as an oil filter add-on and will be removing it when I get a chance.

They were sold under the name of franz filters and as a bypass filter they did work if you did not mind thinking *** wipe to clean
but I do like the **** ticket reference

Auto Transport Service
Back