• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's this noise about ma mopar canceling the hemi?

Car & Driver has an article on it as well that's less on the vague "tyrannical oppression" theme of the above article.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38324228/hellcat-production-end-report/

Hellcats & Demons are on the way out. They sell, but likely numbers aren't what they hoped for, especially the past couple years with all that's going on.

Upside is that's how you create valuable collector cars.

Last edited:
It would have been 2018. But a certain Vitamin C guy gave us a reprieve. And $2.35 a gallon gas. God damn, I miss it.

Hellcats & Demons are on the way out. They sell, but likely numbers aren't what they hoped for, especially the past couple years with all that's going on.
They sell better than originally anticipated. I don't know how many sold in 2021 but since the 2015 introduction to 2020 over 53,000 hellcat engined vehicles were built. If they average $69,000 each, that's over $3.6 Billion in sales.

They sell better than originally anticipated. I don't know how many sold in 2021 but since the 2015 introduction to 2020 over 53,000 hellcat engined vehicles were built. If they average $69,000 each, that's over $3.6 Billion in sales.

Yeah I know there are lots out there, just the past couple years not sure how well they have moved and you know it doesn't take much to ring the death knell for stuff that isn't making them gobs of money.

I was a senior in high school when the bell tolled for the Generation II Hemi. Trends at the time being what they were, I never imagined that there would even be a Generation III. Interesting to see the numbers sold for the current series, compared to the 1960s, which I'm sure gave the Chrysler bean counters fits back in the day.

Thank the government. Obviously big profit items would still be being produced. The GMET turbo inline 6 is your new source.
Doug

Inline 6. Twin Turbo. Keep it. I’ll drive the real thing as long as one can be found running.

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle. However, being that the high torque GMT-t6 engine will still provide six cylinder fuel efficiency while providing V8 acceleration (some sources already say it will blow past the regular hemi and keep up with the 392) then I'd have no problem with it. Given the future push to electric, this may very well be one of the last combustion engines to be developed by any manufacturer. Hyundai for instance has already laid off their internal combustion engine design staff.

What's laughable about all these EV's is the grid is not going to handle the drain when these vehicles are charging. Eco clowns do not realize more coal fired plants will have to be built. Another environmental challenge will happen as these batteries come to their termination date. The new crash data will determine you will feel no pain when you get into a collision while driving an EV, it will burn so fast you won't feel it. I will keep my '11 Dodge Charger RT. I don't care if it gets "blown" away by a twin turbo euro clone(clown?) car.

Auto Transport Service
Back