• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheel alignment clamps

bigaadams

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
anyone here doing their own alignment even if just to dial it in for to carry to the alignment shop? I ask because I am in the market for a wheel clamp for the caster/camber gauge and was wanting to know who has had success with what model and the method it is held to the wheel. I am thinking steel wheel have inside pegs you put on for them and the aluminum wheels will use outside pegs to clamp on to the wheel but there seems to be no techie specs with their brochure. Thanks....my gauge is a Longacre with 5/16 thread and also magnetic mount so can use either style clamp, mag or threaded lug. Yes I have Hunter turn tables and rear leveler blocks to use in conjunction with the turn tables.

I posted this to A-bodies also for those that visit both sites.....covering all ground possible.

Last edited:
Thanks, but it is not a chance-it with the right wheel clamp...clamps can also be one and done, adjustable for 10 inch to 25 inch wheels....any spindle or hub and steel or alloy wheels without a huge selection of special high dollar threaded adapters.....I am not just messing with a single car application either...there are a number of wheel clamps out there..figured someone here had some experience with a particular model and could give me some pros and cons to weed out a model or two from the get go....it is not easy to put your hands on these for comparison as they are usually a special order product. Now if I was fortunate as some here may be and have a speed shop out my back door, possible this question would not have been presented. I do appreciate your time to read and answer though..just a bit more involved and most later model alloy wheels also have very small centers and the magnetic base is then just a paperweight.

Our old B bodies never had that problem. Was not thinking about new stuff.
All the shops I use have used wheel clamp systems that mount at the bead seat.
Just curious why all the expense to get a car to the alignment shop? Are you installing custom suspensions?

yes....plus I want to eventually get to where I can pretty much handle the most of my own stuff down the road.

the wheel clamp system is just what I am looking at now....just trying to spend my money best bang for the buck...have seen about 4 methods of mounting so far...

thanks...maybe they will chime in and help an old boy out a bit....standing by for now...just started a low country boil...stage one of the cook as I type...

no gator..............start with my little Old Bay boil mix, red potaotes and my beef kebalsa ...let that come to a boil for a bit to cook the potatoes, then add corn on the cob and reurn to a full boil, the oil from the kebalsa is the only oil in the mix and will make the shrimp that gone in next to last peel easy..then I take that off when the shrimp is cooked and start eating while my crab legs are cooking as they are my desert...

We did alignments before there was this high tech stuff. The principles are the same, it just the method used. On a level floor a clamp gauge works fine, you can then take it to the alignment shop. You'll be surprised how close you got it.

We did alignments before there was this high tech stuff. The principles are the same, it just the method used. On a level floor a clamp gauge works fine, you can then take it to the alignment shop. You'll be surprised how close you got it.

Thanks for the reply, basically my point and I have most of the tools already, why not round them out and give it my best shot.

I see magnetic camber/caster gauges on ebay.
You are supposed to put them on the brake rotor.
How does that work with the car on a jack at one corner?

I too would like to find cost effective rim clamps and turntables.

If I had those, I would simply do my own and not bother with a shop.
I'm confident I could get it in factory spec as well as any desirable deviations that typically take a LOT of discussion to get shop people to understand and get right.

I used a Hunter H111 and then the newer machine with the reflective targets and the both used similar mounts. our Hunter repair tech had all sorts of used equipment, I would look into your local Hunter Rep and see what he has.
Edit Check out any sears stores that might be closing in your area you may get lucky there too.

Back in the 80's when I was a teen, I did my own without a rack or any equipment other than a tape measure to set the toe.

Not sure I've got the confidence to do that now, but it proves that it can be done.

Sorry for the late reply, was off the grid a few days...thanks for the further advice and comments....I am trying to track down an guy who has ownership of an older shop that had equipment now. My 4 post lift is level. I have a set of blocks to roll upon for the rear to keep the suspension level to the front when on the turntables also...just a matter of a few more items and I think I can handle this task. I also have a person who has experience that will lend a bit of knowledge also.

I pulled the trigger on a set of 4 Hunter wheel clamps. I will construct my magnetic mounts here at home and true in the lathe and make use of the built in locking system.

Auto Transport Service
Back