• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Compatibility

CherryBomb

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I am planning on getting rid of the chrome Torq Thrust wheels my '66 Charger currently has, and am looking at moving to factory style steel wheels. I already sourced some original dog dishes in pretty good shape! I had my eye on the Wheel Vintiques 62 series, but they are obviously a little pricey. I came across a set of 68 charger 15x7 steel wheels for a good price, but they look like they have a deeper dish to them. I personally quite like the look, but I am not sure about the backspacing on those vs 66-67 wheels. Has anyone here had experience with both? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Pretty sure there were no 15"x7" steel wheels offered in 1968.
Sounds like you may be looking at the "cop car" wheels.
Do you have a picture?
You can fit some pretty large wheels on a 66.
I have 15"X8 on the front and 15"X 10" in the rear with essentially centered backspacing 4-1/2" and 5-1/2".
The 10" wheels required a 1/4" spacer.
1689082313705.png

The originals would be 14"x 5.5" with spinner hubcaps. These are different wheels from most steel rims of the era to accept the spinner caps.
1689083348792.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have a picture?
I have 15"X8 on the front and 15"X 10" in the rear with essentially centered backspacing 4-1/2" and 5-1/2".

The originals would be 14"x 5.5" with spinner hubcaps. These are different wheels from most steel rims of the era to accept the spinner caps.
Thank you for the quick reply, are your 15x8 and 15x10s the ones offered be Wheel Vintiques? If so then that’s exactly the ones I was looking at. I read a good number of posts confirming fitment of those.

I found the ones in the attached picture on eBay for less than the cost of one of the 15x10 rears. I’ve refinished wheels before with good results, and figured this may be a good way of saving a significant chunk of money, and still having a similar look. Every dollar counts, as I still have to build a 440 for this thing!

IMG_9156.jpeg

Thank you for the quick reply, are your 15x8 and 15x10s the ones offered be Wheel Vintiques? If so then that’s exactly the ones I was looking at. I read a good number of posts confirming fitment of those.

I found the ones in the attached picture on eBay for less than the cost of one of the 15x10 rears. I’ve refinished wheels before with good results, and figured this may be a good way of saving a significant chunk of money, and still having a similar look. Every dollar counts, as I still have to build a 440 for this thing!

View attachment 1492827
Those wheels are not stock wheels. They look like wheels that someone should give you. The center caps you have located may not fit these wheels. Myself I would save some money and get something that will for sure fit and be decent.

Factory 15x7 4 1/2'' bolt pattern 4 1/4'' backspace wheels from the early to late 80's
rear wheel drive Mopars usually can be found pretty easily. I got mine from a 88 Dodge Diplomat.
$25 each.
Not sure if you have a pic a part yard in your area. Maybe place a want ad here.One of the members may be able to hook you up.

IMG_2862.jpg

Those wheels look pretty "deep dish". Almost like the old chrome reverse that haven't been popular since the eighties.
Even with the deep dish, if they are 15x7, you should be able to get some decent tire size on them, but not near the biggest. The open wheelwells of gen one Chargers helps. I'm betting they won t fit on a satellite.
I'd throw one on each end of the car as is, no tire, and compare location to your current tt's, before I did any restoration work.

Factory 15x7 4 1/2'' bolt pattern 4 1/4'' backspace wheels from the early to late 80's
rear wheel drive Mopars usually can be found pretty easily. I got mine from a 88 Dodge Diplomat.
$25 each.
Not sure if you have a pic a part yard in your area. Maybe place a want ad here.One of the members may be able to hook you up.

View attachment 1492844
I would be very happy with that look, those are the same dog dishes I got, but they just have the little red ring in the middle. Good thinking on the want ad. While I would LOVE a 10" rear wheel, I have to remember this project is already going to be very expensive in areas that I can't control, so I should try and be reasonable in areas that I can. I would be extremely happy with $25 a rim, I will dig around. That would leave plenty of room in the budget for paint/powdercoat to make them look great.

I was lucky as Las Vegas cab companies had thousands of the M body Mopars and the wrecking yards were full of them.
I still see the Dodges,Plymouths and Chrysler's in the yards round here.
Get searchin" !

Yeah, The Dodge Fratshog or what ever you call that emblem.The later Dodge and Plymouths were plain.

Yep that's the one! So far not much luck at my local yards, oldest Mopar I found was a 73 dart but no wheels on it, next oldest was a 93 haha. I'll keep digging.

If you have no luck in your area you can try Stephens Performance in Alabama closest to you.
Ted has a all Mopar wrecking yard and may be able to set you up.Save on $shipping.
Doubt if it would be $25 a wheel. I got a used A body 10'' rear brake drum and it was $75 and $hipping.
OR there is Wild Cat Auto Wrecking (All Mopar)in Oregon.They will have what you are looking for.

If you have no luck in your area you can try Stephens Performance in Alabama closest to you.
Ted has a all Mopar wrecking yard and may be able to set you up.Save on $shipping.
Doubt if it would be $25 a wheel. I got a used A body 10'' rear brake drum and it was $75 and $hipping.
OR there is Wild Cat Auto Wrecking (All Mopar)in Oregon.They will have what you are looking for.
Thank you, that is excellent info. I am going to have to wait just a bit longer than expected on the wheels, having the 318 heads professionally gone through as they need a little help and that money was originally my wheel budget.

I have a 67 Charger, Measure the width of your dog dish covers before you buy anything. There are two different sizes 9" and 10" dog dish covers. I ordered a new set of 14" wheels from Coker Tire, waited 6 months, and the ring in the center was 10" wide and my covers didn't fit. I learned the hard way. Now I have a set of new Coker wheels with new 14" redlines and no wheel cover. I also purchased a set of 14 inch spinner hubcaps and they won't fit onto the Coker 14" wheels. So I changed to a 15" steel wheel, found in a junkard , which has a 8" center ring and my dog dish 9" snaps right onto the ring with no problem. Which dog dish cap do you have?

10 inch dog dish hub cap.jpg

4 dog dish wheel covers.jpg

1967 68 Dog dish caps.jpg

Charger Hubcaps.jpg

Mopar 66-74 hubcaps.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Have them all and others with the Fratzog, but chose not to use since I like this look:

1712509954630.png

Do you have a picture?
View attachment 1492775
View attachment 1492789
Don, I like the spinner hubcaps on your car. Are those on the 15" wheel?

Don, I like the spinner hubcaps on your car. Are those on the 15" wheel?
Those are the original 14" wheels.
But I have 15" on it now the 14" wheels were just too narrow for me in the back.
I do like the original spinner caps as well.
A few years ago I started to mock up adapting them to a 15" trim ring. But the project stalled.
Maybe someday I'll get back to it.

Thank you, that is excellent info. I am going to have to wait just a bit longer than expected on the wheels, having the 318 heads professionally gone through as they need a little help and that money was originally my wheel budget.

The last 80's 5th Ave I saw at a central FL U pull was about 4 years ago.
Only one good wheel and I got it.
I used to see then about 2-3 times a year.
(they must have sold a LOT of 5th Avenues)
Plenty of good pickin on them cars for stuff that work on all sorts of Mopars.

But be advised most had 15x6 spares and every one of the ones I've encountered had the spare on one corner and no wheel in the trunk, netting only three 15x7.

Hey @CherryBomb

How far do you go with refinishing wheels?

Hey @CherryBomb

How far do you go with refinishing wheels?

On my old bug I had a set of steelies acid dipped and powder coated satin black, had those on there for the whole time I owned the car and loved them. I think I have decided to go with the Series 63 Wheel Vintiques in the end. Since my last post I have confirmed that I am 100% doing the 440/4 Speed swap, so I will be wanting the 10" wide rear wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back