• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Cover Installation Not Always "Cut & Dried"

Dibbons

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I experienced some difficulty re-installing the 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus hubcaps today (getting ready for a local car show this Sunday). With one of the pieces, and even with a rubber hammer, every time I banged on one end it would dislodge on the opposite side. I tried going all around gingerly and that method failed as well. I finally gave up and removed the half-installed wheel cover. Then, with a real hammer, I bent the tabs inward a little all the way around and attempted installation a second time with success.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

I had those on my '71 Satellite. One hand pressing hard on the cover, one knee leaning on the cover, and a resounding whack with the rubber mallet.

One thing for sure: Those wheel covers never came off at any speed or rough road.

Back when I was a professional tire installer, I learned real quick to sit on the ground and kick both sides of the cover on at the same time (while wearing soft soled shoes).

Not always 100% seated, but any areas not seated can be whacked with a mallet or the palm of your hand.

WAY easier and quicker than any other way.

Auto Transport Service
Back