• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheel cylinders

steve from staten island

Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
I was having a problem with my brakes and could not really pin point the issue. The car was up off the ground and one day on of the kids was turning the wheel back and forth. I heard a sound which turned out to be a loose wheel bearing. How that happened i have no idea as the car is still not being driven as I'm working out small issues. The only thing i can think of is the drum was not fully seated on the spindle. The car had been pulling to the right on braking and this was on the right side. The brakes were also to tight
Now my disc brake conversion kit from SSBC came and i started to disassemble the brakes. My surprise came on the drivers side. The wheel cylinder was leaking bad. I never felt it in the pedal! I dont get this at all. The other part is these wheel cylinders bought awhile back and installed and bled some time ago, maybe in 2016 but the car has not been used until recently, so what i can figure is although the car has always been in a dry garage this cylinder went bad from lack of use. Im going to check out the rears before i take the car off the stands

I was having a problem with my brakes and could not really pin point the issue. The car was up off the ground and one day on of the kids was turning the wheel back and forth. I heard a sound which turned out to be a loose wheel bearing. How that happened i have no idea as the car is still not being driven as I'm working out small issues. The only thing i can think of is the drum was not fully seated on the spindle. The car had been pulling to the right on braking and this was on the right side. The brakes were also to tight
Now my disc brake conversion kit from SSBC came and i started to disassemble the brakes. My surprise came on the drivers side. The wheel cylinder was leaking bad. I never felt it in the pedal! I dont get this at all. The other part is these wheel cylinders bought awhile back and installed and bled some time ago, maybe in 2016 but the car has not been used until recently, so what i can figure is although the car has always been in a dry garage this cylinder went bad from lack of use. Im going to check out the rears before i take the car off the stands
Steve.. You may already have done so, but now would be a good time to convert to DOT 5 to eliminate any moisture concerns.

Has anyone gone to full silicone brake fluid to not have to worry about the moisture? I have used it in a couple of my motorcycles
for about ten years, and have had zero problems???

Steve- I just did the SSBC disc conversion on my 70 Satty. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. Make sure you check the drum brake spindle on the side that the bearing was loose to see if there's any wear or scoring on the spindle that might affect the new bearings from the SSBC kit. - Abe

Has anyone gone to full silicone brake fluid to not have to worry about the moisture? I have used it in a couple of my motorcycles
for about ten years, and have had zero problems???

I run silicone in my 67. Just bled the lines until the silicone came out

Auto Transport Service
Back