• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did 2nd Gen Charger prices explode?

SO where is the safe money - If you could only have one do you buy a 68-70 Charger or a 70-71 Cuda? Which one is going to appreciate the most - anyone out there with a crystal ball?

The 68-70 Charger is a 3 year design, the 'Cuda is 5 years.
My money is on the Charger.

"The 68-70 Charger is a 3 year design, the 'Cuda is 5 years.
My money is on the Charger
."

I agree and you probably nailed down the answer to the original question! A Sexy body with a short run which equates to High Demand/Desirability.

the cuda's only money is in the first 2 years.
the 2-4 will never bring the money the 0-1's bring. Mostly due to the lack of options in those years.
Cuda's will stay the top dog. Chargers are definitely next. my opinion only.

The 70 RT IMO is the best of the breed, but then again I say the same about the 70 RR... I would love to have one but I cannot afford even a basket case these days.

Both the Cuda and Charger are iconic models, but the Charger looks like nothing else whereas the Challenger and Cuda were similar. IMO the Charger has a wider appeal. As to which is "safe" money, I think either would be a good bet. All of this is kind of funny to me because growing up as a Mopar guy, I was deeply in love with the Challenger and still am. I like the Cuda a lot but given the choice I would always take a Challenger over a Cuda. "back in the day" I had like 6 Challengers and 1 Cuda (albeit an AAR). I had 3 Chargers, 69 parts car, 68 RT and a 70 RT but only the 68 was a running car while I owned it; it was a beast 383 AT car but it went like a scalded dog..

I agree with Kern Dog, it is only a 3 year run with each of the 3 years being different. That, mixed with the fact that it has some of the best body lines of any car throughout history. (Maybe I'm a little biased) It's hard to beat the looks of a 2nd gen Charger.
51946460_10215569572604906_4776990131305316352_ngvghvgdghdhfgh45664ygfyyguyg.jpg
58787508_3249086045117490_7941504618905731072jdfh.jpg

that it has some of the best body lines of any car throughout history. (Maybe I'm a little biased) /QUOTE said:
While I agree they do look good, I don't know about the "best lines" part...

IMG_0005lg.JPG

What has sold for more on Barrett and Mecum. Hemi chargers or Hemi cuda's?

Well, what are the production figures on both? I don't think auction sales are necessarily an accurate indicator. That said, I am pretty sure that a Hemi Cuda holds the record of which has sold for more money.

It's another one of those cars that you wished you bought a dozen and stored them away until now.

2002 my brother bought a '68 for $750. It had been sitting in storage for thirteen years. Only had it home for a half an hour and had it running, on the gas in the tank! He gave it to his son who still has it...in storage.

What has sold for more on Barrett and Mecum. Hemi chargers or Hemi cuda's?
Sure, the rarity of the 70-71 Hemi models are impressive but with only 20 or so ever built, counting on finding one as an investment is pointless.

It's another one of those cars that you wished you bought a dozen and stored them away until now.

2002 my brother bought a '68 for $750. It had been sitting in storage for thirteen years. Only had it home for a half an hour and had it running, on the gas in the tank! He gave it to his son who still has it...in storage.
Gotta hear more about that....how did he find one for 750? Widow? Ex wife deal?

Gotta hear more about that....how did he find one for 750? Widow? Ex wife deal?

The owner had a body shop, heard my son and I talking about old mopars. He said he had a charger. I asked if he wanted to sell it. He said it's in the back of his shop and it's been there for 13 years. He just got tired of driving it. I asked how much, he said $800. I was going through the big "D" at the time so I called my brother and told him where to go and to bring the trailer. We looked it over, solid car, engine wasn't locked up, I told my brother to offer the guy $700. and they met in the middle at $750. It had been repainted once and looked pretty much rust free. Engine sounded good also.

You win some, you loose some.

You can also LOSE some whether they are tight or not ! :bananadance:

I bought my 69 Charger in 2002 (maybe 03) for $2800. It was a 318/auto car with some typical quarter panel rust in the passenger rear wheel well. I was 15 at the time. The Charger was sitting behind a body shop and the owner kept telling me that if I couldn't get the money he'd "through a blown 440 in it and sell it for eight grand".

From what I can remember, the Dukes movie (2005) spurred interest in Chargers more than Fast and Furious (2001). Most of the retards I hung with thought "the black car at the end" was a Chevelle. :rolleyes: I specifically remember watching a news story about the increasing value due to the new Dukes movie, too. After 2005, I couldn't leave it parked in the driveway or in front of the house without people trying buy it off me. Must have been that fresh coat of flat black rattle-can enamel.

Here's an interesting article from that time frame:
https://money.cnn.com/2005/07/29/Autos/funonwheels/charger_prices/

I think a good design coupled with performance will always make a classic. 60's muscle was lucky because the performance was peaking at the same time designers were allowed to go wild, with no thoughts of safety just beauty.

Auto Transport Service
Back