• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did you start working on cars?

I'll be gone next time this thread is resurrected!
I started around 68, my dad 's 65 galaxie and my mom's 66 healey! Probably why I never owned a Ford or anything British!

I'll be gone next time this thread is resurrected!
I started around 68, my dad 's 65 galaxie and my mom's 66 healey! Probably why I never owned a Ford or anything British!
What do you mean you'll be gone the next time the thread is resurrected??

In 1971 at 14 my dad had put a 1960 Ford Fairlane in the garage when I was at school, he said here’s the deal, since you like taking things apart and putting them back together, you have one year to get this car running on your own, get it running and it’s yours, if not I sell it.

After many trips to the public library on my bike and trial and error for 8 months of pulling things off and putting back on, and learning internal combustion engine workings, I pulled the distributor, rotated it 180, and the damn thing fired.
When my dad got home I had the car out in the driveway, he looked at me, smiled, and said, “you figured out the distributor I see”
He said he had done that to get me to teach myself, and that I needed to do things on my own and not expect others in life to do my work.
Best lesson he ever taught me, I sure miss him.

I started working on cars long before I got a car of my own...
I grew up with a gearhead dragracer step father...

I was leaning over fenders putting in bolts at maybe 6-7ish...
My step dad was trying to teach me, very young & I wanted to be out in the garage etc.
I remember waking up after sleeping on a fender allot in my youth...
Didn't know what I was doing but learned the wrench sizes etc.,
spent time in the garage, made me the gearhead I am today probably...
Got a car @ 12-13 IIRC a POS rear engine 61 {?} Renault we made into a sand buggy...
{my step dad cut it up after he caught me driving it on the street, loaded it up in a trailer & hauled it to the scrapper}
I had a ton of go-carts & mini bikes, motorcycles etc. I learned allot about the basics on them &
tore them apart allot, did paint job engine rebuilds etc.
I worked my *** off to get any of them, none were just given to me, like my brothers & sisters,
I got them usually from one of my cousins as a hand me down for helping him/them on their cars,
for my step dad...
He was always doing some kind of side gig for someone,
I was sanding or cleaning something, taking something apart always
getting dirty really early in life...

My 1st car was a POS 65 Ford Galaxie 500 straight six, didn't last long got it for $100
sold it for $150 a while latter...

My 1st real car was a 68 Charger R/T, I learned almost all aspects of a car on that ride,
15 y/o for saved money, from doing odd jobs, paper routs etc....
Paid $350 from a neighbor lady down the street, I use to mow her lawn...

It's all down hill after that...LOL

100+ cars & trucks, 4x4's & motorcycles quads etc. latter, I'm still learning too...
still the same
7 year old thread

What do you mean you'll be gone the next time the thread is resurrected??

this thread has been sleeping for 7 yrs.
I'm trying to outlive this dog in my avatar, that was my wifes challenge to me, he's 5 now got him when I started cancer treatment!
He'll be sitting on the driveway waiting for me to come home for a long time if I lose. that's my only regret!

IMG_45388815426528.jpg

Yep, that's me!

I'm trying to outlive this dog in my avatar, that was my wifes challenge to me, he's 5 now got him when I started cancer treatment!
He'll be sitting on the driveway waiting for me to come home for a long time if I lose. that's my only regret!
Prayers to you brother !

Technically? Since the 60's, when I was the boy that Pop had to tell at least a dozen times
"point that light where I'm working!"
I took to working on anything mechanical at an early age, like so many of us do...
Mechanical empathy - you either got it or you break **** a lot. :)

Some have mentioned liking car model kits when we were kids too - I'm guilty of that as
well. The memory of realizing the first time I got under the hood of a car I actually
owned and seeing it look exactly like models I'd built in the past still cracks me up.
Some of those kits were dead accurate!

My Dad grew up on a farm during the depression. He still took care of the farm but made his living as a mechanic and always did everything himself.
My interest in machines and cars has always been there.
I was always tagging along with Dad when he worked on machines and he had me helping in some way even if it was just handing him tools. By the age of 6 I had watched him tune up cars many times.
This day in 1967 was different though. Dad was going to do a tune up on his ‘67 Chevy Bel Air station wagon, Bolero red, 283, Power Glide.
He loosened the spark plugs and told me to pull the plugs, wires, distributor cap, points and condenser while he went down to the basement to do another household chore.
Following his example I did exactly as he said in exactly the same manner he usually did tune ups, about a half hour later he was back up in the driveway and I had already put the new parts on. I changed the plug wires one at a time and eyeballed the point gap. All this while hanging off the fender with my feet dangling in the air!
Surprised I had put the new parts in Dad checked my work and asked me how I gapped the points, to which I replied I “eyeballed it” He remarked the gap was probably off too much to start it but when he hit the key it started right up and when he hung the dwell meter on it there was only a 4 degree difference from spec.
Over the next week I overheard him telling several people about the tune up his 6 year old son did.
That was 56 years ago. Dads been gone for 9 years now and we fixed and restored many machines in our time together.
Although not a mopar, here is one of them with my Dad. It’s a 1950 Chevy 3100, 216, 3 on the tree. It, along with his tools, reside in my garage.
Thanks Dad, we’re still fixing things together!

45FBA313-E38A-43A0-B911-CFE5B3D66B11.jpeg

I have a little girl that's 9 and she has had mates all her life but they're gone now so it's just me and her and I hope I outlive her.

Depends on how you define working on cars?
When we were young children, our grandmother would babysit at her house, and there was a workshop in the basement that was my grandfathers, but he passed before I was born, but that is likely where I was exposed to a bunch of tools, and Popular Mechanics magazines from the 1950's. No one else in the family did anything with tools, so I really missed out on the mentoring part. I did a bunch of plastic models, cars, planes, boats, and Cub scouts pine wood derby stuff in grade school. Built a crude soap box cart, with lawn mower engine and worked on my bike (schwin stingray 3-speed my uncle found at the dump.) About the time I started middle school, I was in 4-H Electronics, Rocketry, and Small Engines.
The Small Engines was cancelled after a few meetings because the instructor had moved away. Started getting into car magazines and how-to repair stuff when I was around 10. Got a really good book on how to tune and maintain a car around that time, and started changing spark plugs, oil, and around 11 rebuilt the carb on the '73 Mercury Station wagon we had.
Had a friend that I got in trouble with because we would sneek out at night and take the family car out driving when we were around 12-13 until we got pulled over by the cops.
Bought my first car at 14, a '67 Coronet 4-door 318 engine for $175 as a project to work on so I could have a car at 15-1/2. Pulled the engine to "rebuild" it and made alot of mistakes, like a whole book could be written there... Not having the correct tools was a big problem.
Made a new friend in 8th grade, who wasn't into cars, but his brother was, and his father had a bunch of tools that I was able to borrow.
Rode my 3-speed bike about 5-miles to the speed shop where I bought a Mopar 284/0.484" cam for the stock 318. I used it in freshman class as a show-and-tell project.
Got the 318 back together and the car running (sort of) by the time I started High School. Still couldn't afford tires (or gas, even at 50-cents a gallon.)
Did sports, Basketball and football my freshman year, but started working after school my sophomore year. With a job, I was able to get a used 4-bbl from a junk yard, It was the old Weiand 318 street master for $35. An a "new" factory rebuilt Holley 600 for $50. Then Headman headers and Thrush "mufflers", the straight through ones that looked like a tube inside another tube, not the smooth glass pack type. They were exhaust clamped to the header collectors and hung down pretty low until i hit a speed bump and ripped one right off.
My job was helping deliver medical equipment and Oxygen tanks, but I also did maintance service on the delivery trucks. 350 Chevys, so I got to change a few timing chain sets and rebuild Q-Jets and tune-ups and such.
In high school I made friends with a few other car guys who knew more, and done more on their cars, and were also in auto shop. I was in vocational Electronics.
By my Junior year of Highschool, I had bought a 1973 Power Wagon Sno-Fighter 4x4 in really bad shape for $1,000.
Built a strong running 360 to replace the old 318 in the truck, and pretty much rebuilt the truck end to end, and did a ton of body work to it. Learned a bunch about body work on that, but had it painted by someone else. About the same time I was helping my brother fix up some cars for him, not sure which was first, the 1968 Pontiac Firebird 350, or the '67 Coronet 2-door 318 car? I painted both of those, then I got another car for me that I painted, and then another, and another..........

I have a little girl that's 9 and she has had mates all her life but they're gone now so it's just me and her and I hope I outlive her.
that would certainly be the best outcome for her!
My guy will lay in the drive from after lunch till I get home. if he's with the dogs next door playing he can hear my truck coming down the other side of the lake and he's off to the driveway!Apparently I'm more fun than 2 labradoodles,or maybe it's just that I know how to open the cookie jar!

I was 8-9 and my brother would bring me to work with him at a gas station, he pumped gas and worked on cars alone on the weekends. Well he put me to work doing brake jobs, then we pulled motors and transmissions. My father had been a mechanic in the 30's and during the war was in a ordnance battalion in Europe so I watched and helped him by asking endless questions. When I was 14 he was in the hospital after a manhole cover fell on his ankle, my brother was injured playing basketball and on crutches. The clutch in my Mother's dart went out and I was told to remove it from the car and they would install the new one on Saturday. Uncertain but doing as told I removed the transmission and clutch, without letting the shaft hang and get bent. They installed the new clutch and I was angry all hell because I knew I could do it but they wouldn't let me under wer the car. I've torn into cars not knowing if I'll get back together but I always do.

I was 20 when I started working on my own car. I was in the Navy at this time and several shipmates had really hot cars. This was 67-68. I found out, from them, how to do the simple and routine things to save money. Seeing their cars and being around them lite the fire in me to learn everything I could about working on your own car. Car Craft, Hot Rod and other car mags were my self study program. Been learning something new ever since then. Got mopar fever from my grandfather when I was 7or 8. He had a '49 dodge, I think. In my mind I thought if He drove a Dodge, it must really be a great car. Very easy to impress young kids.

14 years old when my dads timing chain jumped on the truck
He handed me a new timing chain and pointed to where it went
He told me when you get to it I’ll tell ya what to do next
Been doing it ever since

I started with lawn mower engines after completing a shop class on power mechanics in 1967. In 1969, the year I got my driver's license, I started doing maintenance work on the family cars, building on what I had learned from small engines. Ironic for a lifetime Mopar guy, I did a lot of work on Ford six cylinders during my early days pulling a dry bulk tanker. In the 1970s, they were used to power the pneumatic blowers on the trailers, and the electrical components failed on a regular basis. I carried a spare starter, and re-wired many in the field, usually in horrible weather. Sure didn't build love for Fords.

The 1960 Valiant shown in the picture was my dad's daily driver. The rust patching I performed on it to pass state inspections taught me well in leak points and designed in trouble spots, Mopar knowledge that proved valuable in later years when I was finally able buy my first GTX. Dad had no mechanical aptitude or interest, so almost all of what I learned came from the Factory Service Manual.
1960 Valiant.jpg

When i was around 12 in 1982, i had older friends that drove chevies and my brother was a mopar person... i have owned both but prefer mopar.. We used to literally knock on peoples doors that had old cars in their back yards and get tons of stuff for free that needed minor work :) My first car i owned was a 66 coronet /6 sitting in front of a house on 4 flats.. lady handed me the title and said get it out of here.. I put in a $11 timing chain and drove it til the cops took it away from me :)

We used to literally knock on peoples doors that had old cars in their back yards and get tons of stuff for free that needed minor work

My little brother and I did the same thing. We lived on a farm and it was fun passing the time working and learning on the cars we found for free. We were even greeted by an old man with a shotgun one time knocking on doors!

My little brother and I did the same thing. We lived on a farm and it was fun passing the time working and learning on the cars we found for free. We were even greeted by an old man with a shotgun one time knocking on doors!
haha yeah we had that a bit.. i lived in detroit so we would just go up and down streets slowly looking in backyards.. we would get "Ohhh i start it every few months" on cars that are sunk to the frame and the carb looks like a pile of corrosion... and now and then... yeah.. get that POS R/T or SS out of here! The early 80's were a gold mine and we cut up sooo many great cars :(

Auto Transport Service
Back