• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Do You Wake UP?

You're up at 4:30, you ****, shower, shave, and eat breakfast and commute to work all by 5am?? Your commute must be from the coffee pot to your office chair, must be nice?
I live right across the street from where I work. Time wise: Shower the night before, no shaving required (I have a beard, minimal trimming as needed), and never have eaten breakfast. Not a planned situation just a fluke. I've lived here 10 years, been working there 4 years now. Gas prices really don't affect me as far as daily commuting fuel needs goes.

Last edited:
Work days 3 AM we work 430-3. Non work days usually between 6 and 7.

Very rarely do I sleep until 7a. Used to work the evening shift for a lot of years but my last year working, I was on day shift....and hated it lol. Usually wake up around 5 but go back to sleep and up by 6:30 most days.

At my age, I am always waking up at least 2 - 3 times during the course of the night. Fooking cannot hold my H2O. Plus with my breathing issues, I tend to have coughing episodes that also interrupt my sleep. I for 34.5 years in the USAF as a flyer/crew member, and as 69a100 stated, I hated those O DARK 30 get ups for an early morning take off. Plus all the jumping time zones and dates really messed me up for sleeping. Still feeling those effects to this day. Lately I have been napping almost daily for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour and I seem to perk up afterwards. But I would give just about anything to get a full 7 1/2 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep which is getting harder to achieve...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I used to sleep in to the last minute I could and still get where I needed to be on time..
Since I've (very) slightly matured somewhat I've gotten used to getting up between 0500-0530 every day (unless I'm required to wake up earlier). I've come to enjoy the quiet serenity of the early morning...it really is the most peaceful time of day.
20190918_063227.jpg

20190918_063544.jpg

Talking about working bad hours.....when I hired on at ARMCO Steel August of 73, there were several guys that got in and the final interview was in the labor pool and they needed a couple people to start that night on graveyards. When the 'boss' started talking about everybody starting the following week (which was several days away) and said "but we need......" that's when my hand went up. He paused and finished the sentence "....two people to start graveyards tonight", my hand stayed up. I needed a job! Stayed on that shift for the next two years and got to work in just about every 'shop' and mill that ARMCO had. But, all of my buds worked days and well, that's when I learned how to do a lot of stuff by myself including pulling and installing engines, transmissions, and rear ends. Parted a lot of cars starting around that time too. Sunday night (Monday 1st shift) was the hardest since I usually stayed up when I got off on Friday morning.

I dream every night about my old job and don't know why, it's been 14 years since I was there. They range from driving around the plant in my electric cart, to being stuck in the plant and can't find my way out, tell me that not jacked up!
At the risk of a thread DErailment...
I also have a recurring dream where I am somewhere away from home and struggle to get back. I encounter mechanical failures, weather, foreign locations and other obstacles getting in my way. This seems similar in theme to yours, Ulli, where you are in the building and can't find your way out. I believe that these types of dreams are a sort of problem solving exercise.
Working in construction and on cars are both fraught with obstacles to overcome. Dreams like this may be a test to a person's determination and intellect.

You're up at 4:30, you ****, shower, shave, and eat breakfast and commute to work all by 5am?? Your commute must be from the coffee pot to your office chair, must be nice?
Doesn't shower or shave giving him ample time, lol.

Discussing peaceful time of the day, every so often I’ll take my old ride out early on weekends – alone on the road listening to the hum of the engine taking in the countryside with a java in the console – blissful.

Talking about working bad hours.....when I hired on at ARMCO Steel August of 73, there were several guys that got in and the final interview was in the labor pool and they needed a couple people to start that night on graveyards. When the 'boss' started talking about everybody starting the following week (which was several days away) and said "but we need......" that's when my hand went up. He paused and finished the sentence "....two people to start graveyards tonight", my hand stayed up. I needed a job! Stayed on that shift for the next two years and got to work in just about every 'shop' and mill that ARMCO had. But, all of my buds worked days and well, that's when I learned how to do a lot of stuff by myself including pulling and installing engines, transmissions, and rear ends. Parted a lot of cars starting around that time too. Sunday night (Monday 1st shift) was the hardest since I usually stayed up when I got off on Friday morning.
At the big three, guys in maintenance beg for third shift. At 10 percent over base it paid for a year of college tuition for their kids. Mostly high seniority bid for third, besides, there were no big wheels on third to bird dog them. I only worked first shift, I liked it that way. I was truly blessed.

live right across the street from where I work. Time wise: Shower the night before, no shaving required (I have a beard, minimal trimming as needed), and never have eaten breakfast. Not a planned situation just a fluke. I've lived here 10 years, been working there 4 years now. Gas prices really don't affect me as far as daily commuting fuel needs goes.
Damn, that must be a blessing & a curse at the same time. I guess you really can't call in sick and sneak out somewhere where without possibly being seen! Maybe you can sneak out the back door, lol!
:lol:

Mid coarse correction, I apologize for initially marking everyone thanks. I fixed it. I was at work for the first of 7 midnights without much sleep beforehand. I appreciate and liked all the responses but in a fit of default I just did it to acknowledge them. Somehow it seems somewhat sad that humans work crazy hours to exist in the world these days. From my perspective it is not a happy note to say "like" to something that sounds quite a hardship on a persons life & health. After doing this shift crap for some 36 years or so, I am a befuddled old coot myself. Please don't misconstrue the ramblings of burned out, well meaning simpleton! :D

Reading the talk about shift work - back in the 90's I was working weird rotating shift patterns in London (UK). I took a bit of getting used to sleeping when everyone else was awake and doing their thing...but I got into the routine. I would wake up and wife would be cooking dinner....I would come home to breakfast, then go to sleep, and she would go to work - sometimes I would drop her off if I wasn't stuck in traffic.
The best part was - being an airplane freak, was that we lived in the flight-path for London Heathrow. So I was lucky enough to have BA Concorde twice an evening as an alarm clock. My first-call and snooze button was the 5:00pm, and then out of bed was the 6:00pm return. Some might call that torture...but I enjoyed every day of that while it lasted. One flat we were living in had sash windows....and they would rattle only when Concorde flew over us. We lived about 6 miles from Heathrow 'as the crow flies'.....so she was getting down in altitude. :)

I have a video on my YT channel taken from the back door of that flat.

Driving home from my job at Marks & Spencer Computer Centre was always fun.....sometimes if the timing was right, I would drive through the Heathrow grounds next to Terminal 4 - where Concorde planes were parked up.
On a few occasions I had to wait as it taxied across the roadway. :thumbsup:

Mid coarse correction, I apologize for initially marking everyone thanks. I fixed it. I was at work for the first of 7 midnights without much sleep beforehand. I appreciate and liked all the responses but in a fit of default I just did it to acknowledge them. Somehow it seems somewhat sad that humans work crazy hours to exist in the world these days. From my perspective it is not a happy note to say "like" to something that sounds quite a hardship on a persons life & health. After doing this shift crap for some 36 years or so, I am a befuddled old coot myself. Please don't misconstrue the ramblings of burned out, well meaning simpleton! :D

I think we've all been there, like/agree seems the wrong response but disagree just seems wrong 99% of the time... Whataya gonna do....

You’re one of the folks who WORK for a living! Ya know, worked their asses off to get ahead and acquire the basics such as shelter, food, and on to fun things like old mopars…working for it. Wish others who are lazy-asses looking for free handouts while rejecting getting up off their asses and WORKING for a LIVING to find a clue..

Auto Transport Service
Back