• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Do You Wake UP?

At the risk of a thread DErailment...
I also have a recurring dream where I am somewhere away from home and struggle to get back. I encounter mechanical failures, weather, foreign locations and other obstacles getting in my way. This seems similar in theme to yours, Ulli, where you are in the building and can't find your way out. I believe that these types of dreams are a sort of problem solving exercise.
Working in construction and on cars are both fraught with obstacles to overcome. Dreams like this may be a test to a person's determination and intellect.
Being in maintenance, I was in every corner of 5 million square feet. Locations were called out in aisles, a to z going north and south and 1 to 41, east to west. Example, M25, G14 and so on. Many times it would be flooded, no lights and looking for column markers to figure out where I was. Absolutely bizarre. Many times lost in the middle of it.

At the risk of a thread DErailment...
I also have a recurring dream where I am somewhere away from home and struggle to get back. I encounter mechanical failures, weather, foreign locations and other obstacles getting in my way. This seems similar in theme to yours, Ulli, where you are in the building and can't find your way out. I believe that these types of dreams are a sort of problem solving exercise.
Working in construction and on cars are both fraught with obstacles to overcome. Dreams like this may be a test to a person's determination and intellect.
Everyone is different and I'm no shrink, but I don't think such dreams are "tests" per se.

I constantly have similar dreams, wherein the type of work I do and the types of companies I do it for seem
very much "real" - as in, they're exactly what I've done for a living for over 40 years now.
The faces are slightly different, the company names are unimportant and what's going down is the usual
fare for the gig - but they're all like watching some sort of TV series, in the way they are revisited infrequently.

I'm always in the prime of life, probably 30 years younger, old enough to know what I'm doing - and just
old enough to have experienced the typical horseshit dramas that happen in all companies, seems like...
the situations and scenarios are "make-believe" just enough for me even to realize while I'm dreaming that
it's a dream - but they're all based on past real events, problems, situations I've seen in real life.
So...
All of that to say I don't think what you're describing is unique - or even a test:
Instead, I think we're wired the way we are, our brains are the "no shut down ever" kind - and we need
to give them "busy work" so we can get a little rest, so we let the mind go where it can do what it does
best and leave us be for a while.

How's that for amateur hour psychology? :)

Damn, that must be a blessing & a curse at the same time. I guess you really can't call in sick and sneak out somewhere where without possibly being seen! Maybe you can sneak out the back door, lol!
:lol:
My place of employment has cameras all over in and outside of the building. The boss if he chooses, could in theory, see me get mugged on his smart phone while I was going to or from work.

These days I get up when I feel like it. When I wake up varies greatly. I was born at quitting time 16:30.

Everyone is different and I'm no shrink, but I don't think such dreams are "tests" per se.

I constantly have similar dreams, wherein the type of work I do and the types of companies I do it for seem
very much "real" - as in, they're exactly what I've done for a living for over 40 years now.
The faces are slightly different, the company names are unimportant and what's going down is the usual
fare for the gig - but they're all like watching some sort of TV series, in the way they are revisited infrequently.

I'm always in the prime of life, probably 30 years younger, old enough to know what I'm doing - and just
old enough to have experienced the typical horseshit dramas that happen in all companies, seems like...
the situations and scenarios are "make-believe" just enough for me even to realize while I'm dreaming that
it's a dream - but they're all based on past real events, problems, situations I've seen in real life.
So...
All of that to say I don't think what you're describing is unique - or even a test:
Instead, I think we're wired the way we are, our brains are the "no shut down ever" kind - and we need
to give them "busy work" so we can get a little rest, so we let the mind go where it can do what it does
best and leave us be for a while.

How's that for amateur hour psychology? :)

279376517_10160172173664674_3479698029957427555_n.jpg

That's the thing about the dreams I described in #63 above - I never get the impression that my life
in them is necessarily any better than in reality - just different.
If I've ever had a dream of being wealthy or otherwise deliriously happy for some reason, I can't recall
it.....ever.

For a good number of years I’d have dreams/nightmares about a close bud that died suddenly from a heart attack at 50. He was a health nut most of the time; but enjoyed the occasional bad habits of which I enjoyed a bit more. And he was half a decade younger. We endured some awful times working together at a company (I’ve posted about leading to our departure from the company via nice severance packages). On the other hand, we had some great times traveling the country as a team from branch to branch. We could get pissed at each other like brothers do. Some real oddities about how we crossed paths, connected, and eventually became close friends. It was just such a shock getting a phone call about his death from a mutual friend just a few days after we were together over a few beers. At first, I couldn’t believe it thinking it was a bad joke. I figured I should speak at his service. It took a bunch of prep for this to get through it with his wife and two sons in the front row and some 300 people there. Got through it; but it was difficult. But, those damn recurring dreams with us in all the varying work situations we had waking up remembering them. All I could figure out is, it must have been a form of PTS.

Without my hearing aids no alarm can wake me so when I open my eyes I get up, normally 8-9. Now if I have to get up at a certain time I put that time in my head, usually waking and looking at the clock five minutes before the time to get up. Thunderstorms don’t wake me either sleep right thru them. After a hard job with a lot of long hours I have slept for two days straight.

Living the odd life of a dry bulk tanker
thumbnail.jpg
operator, I get up at 3:30 to make a delivery at 8:00, putting me in position to get a return load in the tank by a 1:00 pm cut off time. I will not miss this schedule in retirement.

I‘m the true proverbial night owl and always have been. I know it seems like most like the early mornings for many reasons. I’m just the opposite for all those same reasons. I enjoy the quiet and
peacefulness of the night. I‘m most often very productive at night. If you were my neighbor you might think it strange to see me out trimming a few trees and bushes or hear me in my garage doing something well past midnight. But if you're my neighbor for awhile you’d get used to it. I do a lot of busy work late at night like paying bills, cleaning out closets, communicating with friends or family in other states that have long since gone to bed, or whatever else needs to be done. Maybe I’ll bake a big pan of my favorite chicken receipt to have for the next couple of days. When I was working I was pretty much a 6-7 day a week guy. Working long hours late into the night. I was in the sales, marketing and management end of my industry and anyone else doing that kind of work knows it never ends and you can never shut your mind off from it. You always have to be thinking, planning, strategizing about the next meeting, deal you’re working on, deals your planning ahead for. You always have to have a full pipeline to be successful. If your phone stops ringing and you're not out making things happen then you’re not creating revenue and that’s what makes the world go around.

So that was stay up late get up when I had to - but let’s just say alarm clocks and I weren't on speaking terms. Fast forward to retirement 12-13 years ago - I forget. I stay up later and get up when I get up. Sometimes 7:30 - 8:30 if I can’t sleep but if I can I‘m happy to sleep til 10:00am. Pretty much always somewhere in between. Born at around 11:00pm but don’t think that has anything to do with anything. I too had virtually every night reoccurring dreams about work for the last 10-11 years after I retired. But thank God they seemed to have dried up in the last year or so.

thru the week, 4am

weekends usually up by 6 or 6-30 am

Plan to retire in next 12 months , or so . So no idea how that will effect my sleep habits

Never had trouble waking up to go to work but could sleep in on days off.
Since I retired I wake up at 4 AM. Can’t seem to sleep in any more.

Omg I feel lazy or bless I don't know go to bed around 10: 30 pm and wake up 6:30 or 7:00am to go to the bathroom take a shower, brakefast at 8:15 , the wife has this motto: the husband and the trash are the first things out of the house in the morning lol, never ever watch the clock or the phone at night, sometimes go to pee some others don't, my wife is jealous she has trouble getting sleep, my mom said I was born in the witcher hour , 3:00 am.

Last edited:
Ironically seeing this thread today, I had a dream last night – one of those that are so real can’t stop reflecting on it when waking up. Assume most of us have those. Happens to me maybe once a year. One was being with my dad who has been gone 12 years now. So lifelike it brought tears to my eyes with the feeling of his loss all over again.

Last night it was about an old girlfriend from high-school. We dated about a year; first gal I dated seriously where we become a normal part of each other’s family. In the dream we got together again, dating behind the scenes, but being married – NOT to each other, as is real life. In my case, to my wife of 45 years, two grown kids. Dang, the old ‘flame’ was rekindled and we knew ahh, this was a problem, lol. As the dream faded out, we looked at each other from a distance wanting each other; but walking farther away knowing this could never be. Weird hey! After waking up, then reflecting on the way things were then, missing that; but then relishing how real life went having a great gal I married and our kids. I prefer NOT having dreams like this.

When I was working, I always woke up at about 5AM, ...always before the alarm even went off.

Now I may wake up at several times a day.... depending on how many catnaps I take.

I have been following Greg's,(Kern Dog) excellent thread of "I don't want to go to work today". Well, the last several entries brought up the topic of when people get up in the morning. Well, in thinking about it as the responses are so varied I am curious if there is a relationship between the time you normally wake up & the time that you were born. I know that it may be a stretch, but I was born at around 11am and even though I have to get up for work, I never really start feeling awake until "around" 11am. If I could I would most likely sleep till then every day. If I did I would most likely stay up late as well. Just throwing this out there. It might be a load of crap but "What If this really does have a bearing on your wake /sleep cycle???":D:screwy::eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back