• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where has QUALITY Workmanship Gone?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
While back I posted about my ills with a shop installing an SSBC kit on my ’63. I had it in the shop for a sure-grip problem and as I was planning on a disk brake conversion they said why don’t ya let us do it? I had been traveling like nuts then so thought ok, why not. MISTAKE. The rework I had to do on this botched job was crazy; longer story. I bitched to the shop about it getting the sound of crickets.

Anyway, I’ve driven the car around 3,500 miles and thought I should repack the rotor bearings. Was the plan last spring, but other projects interrupted. I did the right and noticed wow, grease must be expensive as the packing was not so much. Wish that would a been the only thing.

When removing the caliper on the left, noticed some rotor play. Thought might be the rotor wasn’t torqued properly. Well ahh, tapping out the inner bearing seal was SHOCKED to find the bearing caved in on two sides! Never friggin came across anything like this in my years doing this sort of work. Where the cage is caved in I saw punch marks, obviously causing the damage. Well G-dammit, what sort of ‘mechanic’ would think of installing a damaged bearing like this? And this shop is highly reputed! Hmm, couldn’t spend the 10-bucks for another bearing?

Upon further looking, the inner/outer bearing races in the rotor bore are not concentric, they’re offset one – one way and other, other way. My install manual does NOT list any of the part #’s so called SSBC about what da hell parts these are so I can get new ones. Informed I can only get them from – them. They tell me they ‘modify’ the rotors for their kit. Don’t know if the damaged bearing caused this, highly doubt it, or the rotor was ‘modified-machined’ shitty to begin with. Either way, this caved-in bearing went in like this at the shop.

Yeah, I’m sending the shop these **** parts to shove up their *** with my comments on their work quality, again, since just about everything they did was - ****. I know I won’t hear back. If anyone is contemplating a performance shop in the greater Kenosha WI area, send me a PM and I’ll suggest AVOIDING this shop.

Rotor inner bearing .jpg

Bearing Inner .jpg

Rotor Bearing Races .jpg

WOW thats unreal. Hope there is no major damage on anything. I had brakes done on my grandsons rav4 and they over torqued the lugs. Went to install shocks and snapped 2 off. Sent the rav back and they were pissed because I made them fix it. Welcome to the new world.

Difficulty hiring competent help isn't something new, it was one of the worst aspects of a business owner I encountered. And it seems things have gotten worse. I've actually corrected jobs and home improvement jobs done supposedly by "pros".

Difficulty hiring competent help isn't something new, it was one of the worst aspects of a business owner I encountered. And it seems things have gotten worse. I've actually corrected jobs and home improvement jobs done supposedly by "pros".
There’s a lot more to my story, the pedal linkage eyebolt was bent, among other things, to the extent of possibly jamming in the firewall pass through maybe obtaining NO brakes and pointed this out to the shop as WTF? Buddy at a machine shop machined a new one for me out of decent steel.

This ‘mechanic’ was a talkative younger dude, seemed like a nice guy, but overly confident sort. When my brother took me to get the car, I was getting the paperwork and payment stuff sorted out. My brother was admiring an old Mustang in the shop and the mechanic said I need to take this out for a test ride, wanna come along? It was quite the ride, my brother being a mechanic at one time, having his share of muscle rides, said he couldn’t believe it, this guy just beat the living **** out of it and missed a gear trying to speed-shift. Hmm, this was another customer’s ride he obviously spent TONS restoring. And THIS was the guy installing that **** bearing. And this shop has such a nice reputation?

It was MY fault for accepting my car – but – truly feared leaving it there with this butcher!

Yep My buddys wifes challenger had to go to the dealership for work. They said we will call and he said I will wait. Heard to many stories about joy rides at shops.

That's a crying shame! I am sure that isn't the kind of shop work you hoped for. By looking at your pics....... you, or a buddy, and possibly a family member riding with you could of been hurt badly or killed....... especially at a higher rate of speed. Best of luck to you, fixing it properly!

I don't let anyone work on my cars except what needs to go to a machine shop... and then, I take it all apart for inspection before running it. When I am too decrepit for this, I will be done with the hobby.

Ron, the way I work on my car is totally different to the way a shop does it. I take so much care, cleaning everything on the way through, touching up paint if required. They are against the clock, trying to make a dollar. This doesn't excuse the bell-end who was working on your car. No excuse for that asshole. But a shop rarely goes the extra mile, just fix what the customer wants and move on.
There are some old school mechanics who treat your car like their own, but they are few and far between.

Ron, the way I work on my car is totally different to the way a shop does it. I take so much care, cleaning everything on the way through, touching up paint if required. They are against the clock, trying to make a dollar. This doesn't excuse the bell-end who was working on your car. No excuse for that asshole. But a shop rarely goes the extra mile, just fix what the customer wants and move on.
There are some old school mechanics who treat your car like their own, but they are few and far between.
Wife just said the same thing to me over the weekend as I undid some of the less than stellar work the
mechanic had done to Fred....
I've only had occasion to have someone else work on my stuff a very few times and the results were always
disappointing, but she still felt the need to say it:
"Ed, nobody will ever be able to work on your cars to your satisfaction."

Hell, I ain't looking for perfect - I'm just looking for competent - but I suppose she's right.

That's why I do all my own work.
The sad part is an SSBC conversion is super easy.
Just a few medium sized bolts.

The inner casting not being concentric from side to side is not unusual for a cast part and not a problem. The bores for the races being machined on the same plane is all you need to be concerned about. The tech was a bit of a hack, but that bent roller cage isn't something that's going to cause a bearing failure.

I'm very lucky as most I deal
with for this kind of work
worked for the same
company I did before the
company dissolved. They
all carry the same ethics
with them.
They have branched out
to different businesses
but I recognise the names
who cared. One of the
benefits of living in a