• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where I've been

Darthomas

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
The last 10 months have been life in hell.
Was staying with a buddy in Elgin Illinois.
Still no closer to recovering any of the $58000 my ex stole out of the house sale escrow. Finally after another $4000 in atty charges and 18 months of trying got child support reduced to proper 25% instead of 50%. The atty quit the firm, I was assigned to another. The 2013 Charger ate 4-5 rod bearings, I'm back to driving the 1966 daily. I had to move out of my friend's place and get a room. Had to pay 2 months rent, wasn't able to make payment on time to atty and now they want to file motion to drop my case.
Tried to pay $400 today..Credit card only had $399 room. I am very, very worried.
If I don't have an Atty any more I will never recover any of what was stolen.
I feel doomed.
I need a place to stay while I try to recover without resorting to bankruptcy.
If anyone can offer me a sleeping room at some nominal cost in the near West Chicago suburbs, it would save my future.
I am full panic mode.
Considering homelessness as a financial strategy, with occasional motel nights.

Many days I want to give up, it just seems like I'll never catch an even break.
I need teeth extracted and full upper dentures, but can't imagine how I will ever pay the up-front

At 56, a bankruptcy will probably mean I'll never be able to get my own place in the future. Meanwhile I'm paying storage for the household and garage items, and building up more legal debt.
I have to call them in the morning and see if payment of $399 is enough to keep them on.
Worst was at court June 2nd, when I looked forward to some resolution.
The Judge fumbled around, and then said, she hadn't received the courtesy briefing, and the opposing counsel blamed it on a new legal clerk, and everyone being distracted by Memorial Day.
Then the Judge, my atty, and the opposing attorney all had a little laugh about it, in COURT, right in front of me. While I'm bleeding money.

Maybe someone has good advice on how to declare bankruptcy when it's due to theft.

In short, HELP!

Wow man - I remember vaguely when you went to the mattresses so to speak. Now you're back and seemingly in deeper do do. I hope you have a good church - if not find one. I don't know how far you are from Willow Creek church but it's a welcoming place. You need to get connected and around some positive influences. There are plenty of Chicago members hopefully someone will chime in. I feel for you brother.

Holy crap, that is a sad story! Are you in a position to sell off anything car related to stay afloat? You can replace cars and parts but being homeless just isn't an option, friend. Too dangerous and who knows how low you could sink after being "out there" too long.

Hang in there Dart, like GetX said Find a church and ask for help then things will happen for your good.

Keep your head up Dart. Things will turn around. I'll be praying for you.

Keep your head up Dart. Things will turn around. I'll be praying for you.
Go ahead and do the bankruptcy! When it`s all over, you will be a better loan risk than someone who is in trouble and hasn`t done it. Chicago sounds like Okla., she`ll get the gold mine and you`ll get the shaft. Ask me how I know ! A friend whom I haven`t seen in about 3 yrs. went thru the same ordeal. He had invested in silver,had about $70,000 hidden in his
house. Went to check on, add to it or something, and it was gone. His wife had filed for divorce
also about that time. She couldn`t have lifted the weight , so evedently her boyfriend did it for her. Last I heard the lawyers were giving him the run around. I honestly think from what he had told me-that they were trying to get their hands on it. He hasn`t been seen or heard of since. ??????????

I can relate
Hang in there
(I came home from a Classified mission, 1991, walked in the door, found my Lieutenant wife in bed with a Captain, grinding away, she too ran out with LOTS of money)
So, in a nutshell, I was like you
BUT, I can tell you this:
"behind every dark cloud there IS a sliver lining"

I can tell you this: "GOD" shed his light on me and he will for you.
1. Seek out FAMILY for support
2. IF you feel depressed, GET immediate help

I spoke with the Judicial Inquiry board, and they are sending me a form to enter my complaints about this judge.

Senior attorney has not returned my call yet, so I have also contacted the Illinois Bar Association, they too will send a form I can enter a complaint on.

No way to qualify for bankruptcy.
Looking to rent tiny room near work.

Family is far and distant.

I go to Forest preserves to calm down.

A month ago a kid backed his truck into the parking lamp and grille on the 66.
Got a police report taken.
Two days later I had the thing back 99%, and the kids agrees to my shop charge of $300, but he's only paid $50 so far.
Hope I don't have to go to his insurance.

Before and after photos.
Lens is glued and taped back together.
If anyone can spare a usable lens with normal wear and aging I would greatly appreciate one. Buying a new pair is out of the question.

IMG_20170814_171707.jpg IMG_20170821_162911.jpg

Reminds me of the expression "When you get to the end your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
Have you thought about doing some volunteer work on your spare time? Sometimes helping someone in need can help raise your spirits and forget about your own problems for a while.
Never stop praying. ✌️

Family is far and distant.

I go to Forest preserves to calm down.

A month ago a kid backed his truck into the parking lamp and grille on the 66.
Got a police report taken.
Two days later I had the thing back 99%, and the kids agrees to my shop charge of $300, but he's only paid $50 so far.
Hope I don't have to go to his insurance.

I DID the same thing, walked in a Preserve, Charleston Falls near Wright-Patterson AFB, walked it daily
But I found out the solitude was actually not good for me.
I needed top be around more positive people because I was "dwelling" on the issues too much...

When I got to the end of my rope, I found she had paid some demon, using my money, to undo the knot at the end, and grease the rope 100 feet up, that it might never hold a knot.
Free-falling since April 2016, still working my *** off but all the money falls into the abyss with me.

Sure looks serene. Don't know how to describe the feeling when watching. Those Carillons in the background, and it sure isn't California. Too green. Didn't see any poison ivy, that's good.

How are you doing. Update?

Court is tomorrow, senior atty has not consulted yet with me.
I calculated 12600 dollars overpayment in the past 15 months.
No idea whether I can recover any of that.
No court action on the stolen 58000 is expected tomorrow.
I suppose I have to pay off the total balance before any more "work" can be done..plus I owe 14000 to the last attys that just barely preserved my joint custody, plus 5000 to a friend that permitted that action to happen.
If I've seen my kids maybe 20 times in the past year that works out to a thousand dollars per visit. And that's mostly debt.
So I still consider a few months living in the car, while I pay off attorneys.
If I could move the storage of household/garage items the 50 miles out of Chicago to where I need to be, my storage costs would drop greatly.
I was promised a call yesterday from the atty, didn't happen. Called them @ 9 this morning, and another promise to be called.

I must here give thanks for my very dependable 1966 Belvedere II.
Like any car it needs attention, but it has paid me back 10 times over, and it's some hell just to have other people groove on the car. Well, off to bed at 10 am.
Gonna ride the train to downtown tomorrow. Can't afford 40 dollars for parking this time.
My son will be with me in court.

If the atty gives a call today, I will update.

All prayers appreciated.

Not some hell, I typed it was good to at least enjoy other people groove on the 66.
Spell change always finds a way to screw up messages.

Auto Transport Service
Back