• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to find good photos of under the hood for 73/74 Satellite/Roadrunner?

Jimmy Van Hoose

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Bought a 74 Satellite last year and has tons of aftermarket wiring thats not really hooked to anything anymore. They put in fuel injection and took it back out but left most the wiring ect. This winter I want to clean it up and take out whats not needed and get it back to the basics. Just wanting to see some good pics of under someones hood to get a better idea of what Im shooting for. Thanks.

I have before and after pics somewhere of my 73 318 car.

Google Images works for me a lot of the time!

Bought a 74 Satellite last year and has tons of aftermarket wiring thats not really hooked to anything anymore. They put in fuel injection and took it back out but left most the wiring ect. This winter I want to clean it up and take out whats not needed and get it back to the basics. Just wanting to see some good pics of under someones hood to get a better idea of what Im shooting for. Thanks.

Start by downloading the Wiring diagrams..They can be found HERE. These will show you what you need and don't need under the hood. Typically there are 2 harnesses that are used under the hood from the bulkhead connector. 1.Headlight harness 2. Wiper motor harness. One or both of these harnesses contain the wiring for the ignition as well.

74SatelliteRoadRunnerA.jpg
74SatelliteRoadRunnerB.jpg

Yeah I printed those off. My engine bay just seems so full compared to a lot I see. I think this winter Im just going to disconnect one at a time and see if it still runs and go about it that way.

Resized952019100695163255955020 - Copy.jpg Resized952019100695163217957843 - Copy.jpg Resized95201910069516322395729 - Copy.jpg Resized952019100695163233956364 - Copy.jpg Resized952019100695163238951989 - Copy.jpg Resized952019100695163242954380 - Copy.jpg

Looks like you have a mallory ignition setup. Probably need a bunch of that stuff to make your ignition work. However if you plan on just going back to stock style ignition setup you can probably weed out a ton of that stuff. There is very little wiring needed for the Stock mopar ignition.

Start by downloading the Wiring diagrams..They can be found HERE. These will show you what you need and don't need under the hood. Typically there are 2 harnesses that are used under the hood from the bulkhead connector. 1.Headlight harness 2. Wiper motor harness. One or both of these harnesses contain the wiring for the ignition as well.

View attachment 846110 View attachment 846111

those are incomplete for 74.... Mymopar diagrams are not really correct for all years and models, sometimes working just as reference

Looks like you have a mallory ignition setup. Probably need a bunch of that stuff to make your ignition work. However if you plan on just going back to stock style ignition setup you can probably weed out a ton of that stuff. There is very little wiring needed for the Stock mopar ignition.

Thanks. I wonder how big of a difference Ill notice by going back to a more stock ignition system?

Auto Transport Service
Back