• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to get trunk mat for a 72 charger

400sforever

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
can you even buy the original cloth type trunk mat that these cars came from the factory with? Seemed like a while back someone was making them but I can't find them anymore?

can you even buy the original cloth type trunk mat that these cars came from the factory with? Seemed like a while back someone was making them but I can't find them anymore?
They were never cloth. Vinyl with a herringbone pattern I would imagine. Classic Industries has a good selection of that stuff.

Contact Richard, Restoration Parts and Materials, Here on FBBO, in the Vendor Forum. His tag is "69bfan". His Business handles many items, we all can use, and a Great Supporter for Our Carlisle Meet...

Last edited:
@400sforever, from what I am seeing, there is a herringbone with a white felt backing that is available for your car. I have no real knowledge on those particular applications and have only sold a few of that style mats for the 73 and 74 E-Body applications. So I am thinking that it is very possible that the Charger could have been equipped with a mat of this nature. I believe that I have a Challenger mat on the shelf with this material that I can look at and verify. I know that they are very light weight, but are different than the heavier rubber mats and the incorrect thin vinyl mats. I retail these mats at $45.00

My 71 road runner came with a cloth herringbone pattern trunk pad.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! My original mat is a cloth type herringbone with some kind of hard backing that has cracked and fallen to pieces over the years. I found one in Tennessee last week and ordered it so I'll see if its factory correct. Maybe you can compare it to yours so you know what you've got too. I'll post a picture or two

My trunk pad has a thin black foam backing that has hardened and flaking off. The top side is a thin fibrous material, not smooth vinyl and has little raised texture.

20210907_083614.jpg 20210907_083625.jpg 20210907_083734.jpg 20210907_083745.jpg

ACC makes them. I'd doubt if they'll have a cloth pattern. Most are vinyl. They do make a heavier rubber one for a lot of cars. It's better, more expensive. The thin vinyl ones are pretty thin and show the folds from packaging. ACC has several patterns so look closely for something similar to what you have.

Many vendors handle ACC products.

Thank you for your response! My original mat is a cloth type herringbone with some kind of hard backing that has cracked and fallen to pieces over the years. I found one in Tennessee last week and ordered it so I'll see if its factory correct. Maybe you can compare it to yours so you know what you've got too. I'll post a picture or two
I was wondering how your new trunk mat is. I want to buy one also. Can you post some pictures?

Screenshot_20230116_214431_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230116_214454_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230116_214406_Gallery.jpg

Here is the one I bought. .best one on the market I have found. It has a rubber backing but actually has a soft material feel to the top of it.

5349D596-81BD-423E-AE66-E46AD4D6EEF8.jpeg

2552B955-3194-4672-A2A1-C6224F29C0E1.jpeg

It was hard to get a good picture since the car is in a dark shed. I think I bought it from partsmix in Tennessee. I’m going to have to ransack my shop to see if I can find the box and receipt from where I bought it

I think it was partsmix but I’m going to look around for my receipt

Yes that’s the company. I found my original box. They got it from R.E.M. see pictures below!

2798599F-915A-4A21-BA41-B60D0ABD6C76.jpeg

1055AFFA-9741-42A3-9BA0-3DAC51737B82.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back